Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

Very underwhelming. The name, the graphics, the everything. They could've done much better.

While I prefer "Brooklyn", if they went with "New York", the admiral's concept would've been sweet: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=82993

EDIT: Turns out that horrendous B-Lyn design won't be involved with the team, thank god. Hopefully the marketing department can put together something decent, rather than something OKC-esque.

spacer.png

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they're going to debut a new logo set and identity while still playing in NJ, then just put it on the shelf until summer when they officially move into BK? Seems like they're betting against the 2011-12 NBA season happening.

They said they would start heavily marketing the team starting in Feb, so its not surprising that they would unveil their brand at that time. They do need a head start if they want to sell their season tickets and drive up hype.

Please tell me they won't use "B-Lyn" in any form associated with the team. That is even worse than ATL and PHX appearing on jerseys.

I dont think they'll do that...however, that got me thinkin, and maybe they'll make one of their alternate logos a "BKN," which could double for "BrooKlyN" or "BrooKlyn Nets." We shall see.

The abbreviation of Brooklyn is BK.

Please tell me they won't use "B-Lyn" in any form associated with the team. That is even worse than ATL and PHX appearing on jerseys.

I dont think they'll do that...however, that got me thinkin, and maybe they'll make one of their alternate logos a "BKN," which could double for "BrooKlyN" or "BrooKlyn Nets." We shall see.

The abbreviation of Brooklyn is BK.

Correction: BKLYN

larson%208x10.jpg

Anubis.png

I'm not from New York and would never pretend to be from there. That being said, I would hope that the Brooklyn Nets spend more time and effort trying to brand the name "Brooklyn" as much as possible and ignore the whole "abbreviation" thing for quite some time. Lets not forget that there hasn't been a team in Brooklyn in decades and that the average American that lives outside of that area might think of a bridge before anything else. Not exactly what you would be looking for if you are trying to promote a basketball team...but again, I'm not from the area....what do I know?

Some tidbits from the New York Post:

Rap mogul Jay-Z ? co-founder of the hip clothing line Rocawear ? is working with Nets brass and Adidas to design uniforms for the team when it moves into the under-construction Barclays Center in Brooklyn next year, Nets officials told the Post yesterday.
Team officials confided that they briefly considered renaming the team the ?Brooklyn Dodgers? ? in honor of the borough?s beloved baseball team that fled to Los Angeles in 1957 ? but eventually nixed the idea.

I wonder how much it would've taken to get the name off McCourt (or would that go through MLB?)

In considering naming the team the Dodgers, I don't think they ever got to the money stage. No way MLB would have allowed it, no matter how much money they offered.

The Dodgers still make plenty of money off the Brooklyn Dodgers brand. They wouldn't sell it to the Nets.

Heck, they are still suing people left and right for using the "Brooklyn" script, and warned the Nets when they tried to use a variation of that script logo for their "Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment" corporate logo.

In considering naming the team the Dodgers, I don't think they ever got to the money stage. No way MLB would have allowed it, no matter how much money they offered.

The Dodgers still make plenty of money off the Brooklyn Dodgers brand. They wouldn't sell it to the Nets.

Heck, they are still suing people left and right for using the "Brooklyn" script, and warned the Nets when they tried to use a variation of that script logo for their "Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment" corporate logo.

True. The league also wouldn't clear a new Nets identity that was based around a completely new script 'Brooklyn.' Probably for the reason that MLB gave them such a hard time with the BSE logo.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Another Navy jersey eh? That makes 7, not counting alts. If they went Red it would have been 9...so maybe that color palette isn't the best option? Urgh.

Especially when they are paired up against the Wizards' new set in that photo. We don't need another Eastern Conference team with a navy, red, white and star motif, even if the Nets have history with those elements. Hopefully they'll consider going to a different shade of blue (perhaps like the old New York Nets) to differentiate themselves (all the while avoiding a flat out copying of the Knicks pantones).

Looks alright, but is that the Dodgers' Brooklyn script?

yea, looks like it. seems to me that alot of companies in Brooklyn use that script tho, not necessarily the Dodgers. i like the "old-school" feel of the script most about the uni.

True, but as noted above, the Dodgers have prevented those companies from securing a trademark on it. Which isn't necessarily a problem if you run a diner or camera shop and just like having the script on your sign, but would be a major impediment to a sports team wanting to sell truckloads of merchandise all across the country.

I'm pretty sure those aren't what the Nets will be wearing when they go to Brooklyn. First, why would their uniforms be in NBA 2K12 if they're not even going to be in Brooklyn this year? And wasn't there something like this last year where somebody just edited a team's uniforms (Jazz maybe?) on the game, I'm thinking that's what happened here.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived