MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

Not uniform changes, but in the Phillies-Astros opening day affair today, BOTH teams are wearing their alternate uniforms. The Phillies have on their tremendous cream alternates, and the Astros are wearing their brick uniforms.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how good those cream uniforms are: no team should be wearing alternates on Opening Day. Not even one who seems to hate their actual away uniform as much as Houston does. That's just wrong.

Ok, why not? Why is it wrong?

It's just like the playoffs - it should be a time where teams wear their primary uniform. If you're not going to wear your primary uniform on one of the most special days of the regular season, why is it your primary?

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Teams (well, people in general) should want to look their best when featured in big spots, be it opening day, playoffs, prime-time games, etc. If you choose your alternate for those spots, then you're conceding that your primary look isn't your best. If that's the case, then change your primary look.

The Phillies "excuse" is that they wear their creams during the day time regardless of the actual game that it falls on. In a way, their creme is their primary uniform - their primary "day time" uniform. I'd have put them in pinstripes, but I can sorta understand their thinking with this.

Sorry, but that is just stupid. Where is it written that primary uniforms are automatically better looking than alternates? Is it possible that both looks are equally appealing?

Primary uniforms are not "automatically" better than alternates, but the fact that they're the "primary" means that the team feels that they're the best representation of the club - that's why they wear them most of the time. Why would a team or person not wear what it / he considers to be its / his best look most of the time? If your alternate is what you feel is your best look, then you should be wearing that most of the time.

The Texans obviously feel that their organization is best represented by the team wearing navy helmets, navy jerseys, and white pants. Why, on the days that everyone is watching, they decide to go with a look that they obviously feel isn't their best is beyond me. They want to be represented by blue with red, yet most people's only look at them is when they're in all red. It's baffling.

Primary means just that, primary. It does not mean "best look." My "primary" mode of transportation is a Honda Element. My "alternate" mode of transportation is a Honda motorcycle. Both have their strong points and I don't consider one better than the other; just different.

Anyway, find me one concrete example of a team stating that their "primary" look is designated as their best look and I'll concede the argument. In my book, primary just means "the one we claim to wear most often. Oh and here's an 'alternate' so please buy both."

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those red Indians hats with the plain blue C are the worst hats in recent memory. They look like a beer league softball hat. I hope they choose not to wear them after their opening day beatdown today.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Those red Indians hats with the plain blue C are the worst hats in recent memory. They look like a beer league softball hat. I hope they choose not to wear them after their opening day beatdown today.

Agreed. Those hats are a disaster. I loved their uni's during the early 2000's with that silver trim. If the Indians want a red alternate hat, it should be of Cheif Wahoo...not that boring block "C" or script "I".

lgmlbclired.jpg

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

The opening day logo, which has stars and stripes should not be on a Canadian field. It's like the NHL putting a maple leaf in the Stanley Cup Playoffs logo.

It's traditional bunting. It's not an American flag, even if it's based off of it.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Not uniform changes, but in the Phillies-Astros opening day affair today, BOTH teams are wearing their alternate uniforms. The Phillies have on their tremendous cream alternates, and the Astros are wearing their brick uniforms.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how good those cream uniforms are: no team should be wearing alternates on Opening Day. Not even one who seems to hate their actual away uniform as much as Houston does. That's just wrong.

Totally agree. If for only 1 day a season, look the way YOU REPRESENT YOURSELF. It's like teams made alt. jerseys to spite the true home and away garb that THEY had created or inherited.

I will make an exception for the Phils though because that alt. is SICK! ;)

Totally agree. If for only 1 day a season, look the way YOU REPRESENT YOURSELF. It's like teams made alt. jerseys to spite the true home and away garb that THEY had created or inherited.

So sick, that you can't read the numbers, because of the ridiculously thick outline on already thick numbers.

Pittsburgh is wearing their black "P" alternates for Opening Day against the Cubs. To atone for this transgression, they should have to lose by 14 runs.

How did that jersey make the cut, but the vest look is history? Don't get it. The Pirates, to me, are the best of the vest !!! I think the Blue Jays, before they were the blackbirds singing in the dead of night, had a nice away vest. Point is : the Pirates home jersey is nice but looks a little ... drab without the stripes or the cut-off sleeves. Black and yellow is a great scheme, but it becomes blah.

Also -- how does Pitt not use a full-time yellow??? Can only 1 team rock the yellow in a year????

That P jersey is P -- U . It should not have passed the smell test. It's fine as a fashion item or a BP jersey, but it just looks tacky on a major-league uniform. Certain logos don't work on jerseys. The Yankees' top hat would look ridiculous if stuck on a jersey. Same even with the Boston B or other logos. It just looks ... wrong. Either keep logos out of the jersey realm (the way the top hat is) or keep iconic letterings for caps (where the P should stay).

It's like teams made alt. jerseys to spite the true home and away garb that THEY had created or inherited.

I'm sure the inanimate home and away jerseys are so offended.

Last statement before bed:

(Fair warning : I think this is a pet peeve for me, so you can have a pre-emptive strike against me and call me a jerk)

This is a logo and uniform site, right? We are admittedly losers, dorks, dweebs, nerds, etc. in a sports-fashion sense. We all come here because we care about something that is probably not worth our time, attention, interest, etc.

However, we all made a conscious decision to come here and discuss this because we like keeping each other informed and creating conversation about a topic about which we care.

If you and your like-minded buddies think that what I and others are saying is worthless, don't read it. If you think that commenting on the quality of uniform pairings is anal retentive or useless, that's fine. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just don't waste your time by reading it.

If what you and your ilk say is the most important opinion of this board (that choosing a uniform set is arbitrary and caring about it is over-rated and anal), then can we even call this a community or an area for discussion? Might as well just post news and move on to the next item.

You say x; I say y. Calling someone names gets what accomplished exactly? I'd rather you just don't read or contribute to a thread at all. Not that it's my place to tell you what to do. I'd even prefer you telling me or others why our ideas are bad. But shooting someone down or making them feel worthless because of a differing opinion...that seems like the only juvenile thing going on here.

Amen. Peace my brother.

Pittsburgh is wearing their black "P" alternates for Opening Day against the Cubs. To atone for this transgression, they should have to lose by 14 runs.

How did that jersey make the cut, but the vest look is history? Don't get it. The Pirates, to me, are the best of the vest !!! I think the Blue Jays, before they were the blackbirds singing in the dead of night, had a nice away vest. Point is : the Pirates home jersey is nice but looks a little ... drab without the stripes or the cut-off sleeves. Black and yellow is a great scheme, but it becomes blah.

Also -- how does Pitt not use a full-time yellow??? Can only 1 team rock the yellow in a year????

That P jersey is P -- U . It should not have passed the smell test. It's fine as a fashion item or a BP jersey, but it just looks tacky on a major-league uniform. Certain logos don't work on jerseys. The Yankees' top hat would look ridiculous if stuck on a jersey. Same even with the Boston B or other logos. It just looks ... wrong. Either keep logos out of the jersey realm (the way the top hat is) or keep iconic letterings for caps (where the P should stay).

You won't want to hear this but I like the Pirates black jersey. In fact, I like it better than their vests.

BB52Big.jpg

No, they "made" alternate jerseys so people would buy them. So far, it appears to be working.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived