MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

The best looking baseball game of all time

4740725363_2088137f04_o.jpg

ept_sports_mlb_experts-972036190-1277748333.jpg?ymthnXDDUtoEZa_b

Despite the fact that I hate the oversized, baggy unis (if you're gonna do pullover throwbacks, do them right: Make em form-fitting), that was a great game to look at. The wacky-ass 70s were hilariously awesome.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, Majestic doesn't know how to size a pullover. Look at that guy in the middle. His pants are overstuffed with jersey.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Seriously, Majestic doesn't know how to size a pullover. Look at that guy in the middle. His pants are overstuffed with jersey.

No, he just hiked the crotch of his ridiculously over-sized pants up to his actual crotch, instead of being mid-thigh.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

He's got the male equivalent of camel toe.

I kinda wish the A's would get rid of the 's and just be A. They have such a great history. If they're not going to really recognize it, they might as well change their name to something more current than "Athletics". If they want to keep the green and gold that's cool, but they should really go with a simple - old look. I'd even advocate using a solid green A on the jerseys, with yellow numbers outlined in green. Despite my well-documented feelings on throwbacks and taking the easy way out by steeling from the past, I really think it's the way to go with this team.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like the 's as long as they're wearing green and gold. I know the standalone A overlapped with Charlie O. for a little bit, but I associate "A's" with his makeover, from which the colors have more or less endured.

Also, it sets the A's apart from teams whose locations begin with A.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I look at it kind of the same way as I do the "O's" caps, and the "Bolts" and "Sens" jerseys. Not nearly as egregious though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I look at it kind of the same way as I do the "O's" caps, and the "Bolts" and "Sens" jerseys. Not nearly as egregious though.

Those are essentially recent ripoffs of something that has been in place for something like 40 years. Not really a good comparison. A's is far more well known and excepted.

The Reds are wearing their red alternates right now, which means the Astros are in their gray tops. They almost look like a Major League team. I don't know how anyone could prefer the brick jerseys to these gray shirts.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Reds are wearing their red alternates right now, which means the Astros are in their gray tops. They almost look like a Major League team. I don't know how anyone could prefer the brick jerseys to these gray shirts.

I could, because gray sucks.

I was watching Brewers vs. Reds opening day feed from the Cincy network online last week. They interviewed Arroyo and he was wearing what looked like a really simple BP jersey, with just "Reds" script across it. It looked very cool. Is this their current BP jersey?

I like it when they wear all red, get that black out of their uniforms! 1999 called, and wants its BFBS back.

i actually can't stand the pirates alts. i think the P is way too big, the front numbers look out of place, the outlining around the P just looks odd, and the hat is pointless.

mccutchen.jpg

ugh.

When paired with white pants, those uniforms are the best alternate in MLB. The grey pants don't give the nice contrast that white does.

Those are essentially recent ripoffs of something that has been in place for something like 40 years. Not really a good comparison. A's is far more well known and excepted.

I would love to except them, as opposed to accept them.

Just because it's always been that way doesn't make it right. I don't think that colloquialisms should appear on sports uniforms. Just my opinion. It doesn't matter how long it's been done, who started it, or who copied it.

Just because it's always been that way doesn't make it right. I don't think that colloquialisms should appear on sports uniforms. Just my opinion. It doesn't matter how long it's been done, who started it, or who copied it.

It's not just a colloquialism in the A's case however. The team's official name for over a decade was the "A's" not the Athletics. Additionally they're often today still officially referred to as the A's by the team, the fans and MLB at least as often as they're referred to as the Athletics. It's not really the same situation where a team like the Phoenix Suns are wearing PHX or the Baltimore Orioles wearing their O's caps. Now I'll grant you it grew out of a VERY commonly used colloquialism from as far back as the early days in Philly, but it's grown into much more than that over 111 years.

I'm ok with the O's cap because 1) It's only worn as an alternate (once a week), 2) I don't consider the Orioles to have one of those "untouchable" identites (like the Yankees or Tigers) that a lot of people believe shouldn't be tampered with or modernized, and 3) Everyone calls them the O's. It was just a matter of time before something on their uniform would reflect that. Just be happy they didn't go overboard with it.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

So I'm half-watching Baseball Tonight, and they played a highlight from the Marlins game. I'm not really paying attention since I'm currently caught up in something else, but I glance up at the TV and thought that they were playing the Braves. To my surprise, I was wrong; they're playing the Nationals, who now with their new jersey/hat combination look exactly like the Braves used to look before they switched to wearing that hideously boring blue hat on the road.

Additionally, I'm glad that the A's still haven't dropped the all-green road hat. I think it works with the greys really well.

330zl3b.png

It's not just a colloquialism in the A's case however. The team's official name for over a decade was the "A's" not the Athletics. Additionally they're often today still officially referred to as the A's by the team, the fans and MLB at least as often as they're referred to as the Athletics. It's not really the same situation where a team like the Phoenix Suns are wearing PHX or the Baltimore Orioles wearing their O's caps. Now I'll grant you it grew out of a VERY commonly used colloquialism from as far back as the early days in Philly, but it's grown into much more than that over 111 years.

Out of curiosity, are the Mets offcially the Metropalitans, or is it really just Mets?

Archived