MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

Let's just let powder blue uniforms be a chapter in the "Hey! Wha Happen?" chapter of baseball alongside plastic grass and concrete donuts.

Normally, I'd agree, but in a division where three teams use similar gray-and-navy road uniforms with very little trim, drastic measures should be taken to increase uniqueness. I'm tired of the mindset that every baseball team needs to use monochrome designs that all look the same and all look like they came out of the 1920's, regardless of when the team actually started.

Yeah, the Red Sox' road greys are unforgivable. They dumped the jersey they wore when they won two championships! Like, in the deciding games and everything where they celebrated! How do you mess with that?

The Yankees look like they came out of the 1970s, and would look so much better with a plain midnight blue "NEW YORK," no trim. I hate the Rays' identity top to bottom. They need colors, dammit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not strictly jersey-related, but the Yankees have brought back the MLB team pennant flags that adorn the perimeter of the stadium. The flags are changed daily, and one can tell the league standings that way. I've always loved the flags. Last year, they junked that idea, and all the flags were white and included the years that the Yanks won championships.

Just throwing that nugget out there...

Love the team flags returning !

There is one way to bring color back to the Rays....

devilraysgray.jpg

Yes, but if you'd rather be sane, they could just go back to the green-and-royal color scheme they used before becoming the Painfully Generic Rays. That look was a couple minor tweaks away from long-lasting perfection.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This is not strictly jersey-related, but the Yankees have brought back the MLB team pennant flags that adorn the perimeter of the stadium. The flags are changed daily, and one can tell the league standings that way. I've always loved the flags. Last year, they junked that idea, and all the flags were white and included the years that the Yanks won championships.

Just throwing that nugget out there...

Love the team flags returning !

there are still many teams who do this. the reds and braves both do i believe.

21dh5qp.png

Yes, but if you'd rather be sane, they could just go back to the green-and-royal color scheme they used before becoming the Painfully Generic Rays. That look was a couple minor tweaks away from long-lasting perfection.

I thought the font was bad and they shouldn't have had a black hat, but other than that, those jerseys had a lot of potential. Even more so than the jerseys they actually used, the color scheme was so good.

The current look is bland and forgettable, but the most inexcusable thing is (more so than the "Rays" wordmark on the road unis, navy numbers on navy unis and ambiguous dual-ray imagery) is including columbia blue in the color scheme but leaving it completely off the home and road unis in favor of blandness.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You think the Rays road unis should be Powder Blue instead of gray?

Yes.

raystweaks.png

Those are outstanding. I'd also like to see them mix the plaid-brimmed hats as permanent alternates. Being unique is a good thing. And Florida teams should not have dark/bland uniforms.

There is one way to bring color back to the Rays....

devilraysgray.jpg

I agree, this is by far the best the (Devil) Rays ever looked.

Lugo+Rays.jpg

jNTsTyQ.png

Full length power blues are better left where they belong, back in the 80's. I'm tired of people saying something should be used simply because it's unique, ignoring whether or not it looks good, which powder blue uniform combos don't. And btw those hating on the Braves-Indians screencap, it was a spring training game. They dont even count. Who gives a rats @$$ how they look? Wait til they do it during the regular season then start b****ing about it.

I also do not like the full on powder blue road uniform option. I feel like the padres were on the right track with the sand uni, I'm not saying that I liked it though, I'm pretty neutral on that one. What I'm saying is that there can still be a color other than grey that isn't as bright as the 80's blue. Teams could even use a blue that is about 25% of what the 80's blue was. I think that if this was done it would preserve the traditions of baseball without getting carried away.

1. The Tampa Bay Whatevers have never had a great uniform, no matter what the colors.

2. If you think the Padres are ripping off the Yankees, you should probably end your life because you have no grasp on reality and will certainly not account for anything worth while in your existence..

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And btw those hating on the Braves-Indians screencap, it was a spring training game. They dont even count.

It was Braves-Twins. Maybe this is a problem.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No, they look like what they are - ripoffs of the Yankees. Completely soulless and personality-free.

Agreed. The Padres are just another team wearing gray, navy blue and white on the road.

It's not that these look terrible, they just seem so flat. It seems odd that they would completely ignore the depth of their own color scheme to come up with something so bland. Couldn't sand have at least been used as an accent color somewhere?

I also do not like the full on powder blue road uniform option. I feel like the padres were on the right track with the sand uni, I'm not saying that I liked it though, I'm pretty neutral on that one. What I'm saying is that there can still be a color other than grey that isn't as bright as the 80's blue. Teams could even use a blue that is about 25% of what the 80's blue was. I think that if this was done it would preserve the traditions of baseball without getting carried away.

I agree. Teams shouldn't bring back powder blue road unis, but some teams should use unique tinted shades of gray (more so than before the grays were standardized by Majestic for the Coolbase unis). What I envision would still be primarily gray, but it would be considered a bluish-gray or greenish-gray and not subtle like the previous roads (you couldn't tell the difference unless they were held up next to each other).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

And btw those hating on the Braves-Indians screencap, it was a spring training game. They dont even count.

It was Braves-Twins. Maybe this is a problem.

Indians, Twins, who cares. Point is it's a freakin Spring Training game.

And I agree about tinted grays, not full-on color matching jerseys and pants. Monochrome other than white usually looks terrible in football, and it looks even worse in baseball. Colored jerseys over white or gray pants work well enough. Grown men should not be in a full blue or green or whatever from their neck all the way down to there shoes. If you could guarantee that they'd all wear hiked up pants so the differing color of socks can help break it up, like they did in the olden days when you'd see full navy uniforms, then in some cases it might not look bad. But a lot of guys wear their pant legs all the way down and then some and that would just make a full colored uniform look horrible.

Not uniform changes, but in the Phillies-Astros opening day affair today, BOTH teams are wearing their alternate uniforms. The Phillies have on their tremendous cream alternates, and the Astros are wearing their brick uniforms.

I'm sorry, but I don't care how good those cream uniforms are: no team should be wearing alternates on Opening Day. Not even one who seems to hate their actual away uniform as much as Houston does. That's just wrong.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Archived