Biggest sporting events you have attended

PurpleRush

I've never been to any playoff games or bowls unfortunately, but here's where I have been (I don't have all the tickets still with me so I don't know the exact dates):

NBA: Three Jazz games (two in 2001 against the Cavs and Wizards, and one in I think 2004 against the Spurs). Tim Duncan hit a game-winner at the last second in that Spurs game - he's one if the best players I've ever seen. But, I've also seen Stockton and Malone live in those two 2001 games, and they're THE best I've ever seen.

MiLB: Three Orem Owlz games, one old Provo Angels game (where a young Erick Aybar was playing second base at the time), and one old Salt Lake Stingers game (Chone Figgins went 5-5 that day and stole two bases. It was an incredible performance).

NCAA Basketball: Two USU games against San Jose State and Weber State (I'm not a huge college bball fan so I don't go often), one BYU game against San Diego State for an LDS youth activity (I wore black and red and rooted for the Aztecs....totally pissed everyone off :D).

NCAA Football: 2006 Holy War (Utah-BYU rivalry) at Rice-Eccles in Salt Lake, four USU games against New Mexico State, Idaho State, Fresno State, and the epic upset against BYU this year, and one Wyoming game against BYU way back in, I want to say, 2002 (first college football game I ever went to).

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I guess I can recap what events I've been to.

NFL: One game. That was in late 80's when Seattle took on San Francisco in a preseason game at the Kingdome. Now, this was the tiem when the 49ers were good. Montana, Rice, etc. My father and I were in the nosebleed seats and we left at halftime because it would be late before we got home and the 'Hawks were getting whipped badly.

MLB: One game. A Detroit Tigers game in the 90's when I lived in Michigan. They played the Royals at old Tiger Stadium. It was OK. I think the Tigers won that game.

MiLB: Two I-Cub games. Principal Park is a nice place to go and watch a game. It can be quite the fun time.

College Hockey: One game. Nebraska-Omaha hosting Ohio State at the Civic Auditorium in a battle of CCHA members (UNO has gone on to the WCHA since then). The Mavs won in a game that was on the CBS College Sports Network (I noticed a TV since me and my brother were near the ice with some primo seats).

So, in all, there hasn't been much to show on this list.

MLB: I went to game 6 of the ALCS when the Yankees clinched against the Angels.

NFL: I guess the biggest game would be in 2007 when the Cowboys and Giants were both really good. The Cowboys killed and it was cool seeing all of the dissapointed Giants fans.

NCAAB: I went to Duke-Texas at the then Continental Airlines Arena. Duke was #1 and Texas was #2. The final score was like 100-60 Duke.

NCAAF: I went to Notre Dame-USC last year when it was in South Bend. The trojans won by a touchdown, but it was a great game.

NFL 2002 Wildcard Playoffs Jets 41 Colts 0 I have season tickets, been to basically every game in the past 10 years this was the only playoff game.

MLB 2009 Subway Series Mets vs Yankees Castillo drops pop fly. I go to many met games

MLB 2009 Mets at Yankees Fenway Park Mets come back and win in top of the 9th with 2 outs vs the sox in boston.

NBA 2009 Heat vs Pistons In Miami Last game of the season was on vacation crazy game by Chris Quinn.

NHL Islanders Lightning 2003 only hockey game. LoL

NCAA New Era Pinstripe Bowl

Honorable Mention

2010 Jets vs Bengals Jets win and in

2010 Jets vs Ravens First Regular Season game at New Meadowlands Stadium

NFL 2002 Wildcard Playoffs Jets 41 Colts 0 I have season tickets, been to basically every game in the past 10 years this was the only playoff game.

MLB 2009 Subway Series Mets vs Yankees Castillo drops pop fly. I go to many met games

MLB 2009 Mets at Yankees Fenway Park Mets come back and win in top of the 9th with 2 outs vs the sox in boston.

NBA 2009 Heat vs Pistons In Miami Last game of the season was on vacation crazy game by Chris Quinn.

NHL Islanders Lightning 2003 only hockey game. LoL

NCAA New Era Pinstripe Bowl

Honorable Mention

2010 Jets vs Bengals Jets win and in

2010 Jets vs Ravens First Regular Season game at New Meadowlands Stadium

I was at that game also, it mightve been the most crazy Yankees-Mets game I've ever been to.

2003 - every Spurs playoff home game, they won the title in game 6 that year

2005 - Rose Bowl (Texas-Michigan)

2006 - National Title game at Rose Bowl (Texas-USC)

2005 - Texas beats Ohio State at Columbus

2010 - Bama beats Texas in National Title game at Rose Bowl

2003 - NBA All-Star game in Houston

2004 - MLB All-Star game in Houston

2003 - Super Bowl XXXVIII (Patriots beat Panthers)

2005 - Both World Series games in Houston

2005 - Every home playoff game for the Astros, including the 18 inning marathon vs Atlanta

2004 - Every home playoff game for the Astros

2000 Olympic Games - Cathy Freeman's 400m gold, Grant Hacketts 1500m gold, and some minor basketball games.

1997, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2010 Replay - AFL Grand Finals

1999, 2010 Melbourne Cups

1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 Boxing Day Test (well parts of each one) - even have the bails used from 1999 or 2001 (can't remember)

2006 Commonwealth Games Craig Mottrams fall, was in the cast of the Closing Ceremony

2006 A-League Grand Final - Archie Thompsons 5 goals in a 6-0 win over Adelaide

1997, 1999-00, 2000-01, 2001-02 NBL Grand Finals

Australian Open Tennis

2012 London Olympics

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Game 1 of the 2010 Stanley Cup Finals - Best experience at a sporting event, amazing atmosphere.

Game 3? of the 2009 Blackhawks/Canucks series - Hawks lost, nothing too special here.

Not a big sporting event, but I was at the semifinals of the 2009 Gold Cup which was the second best time I've had at a sporting event. It was surprising how much fun it actually was.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Wrestlemania 8 bitches.

w101200720.jpg

Wasn't that the one where the Ultimate Warrior returned to save Hogan from a post-match beatdown?

Indeed it was. Papa Shango ran out to help Sid (which took well over a minute due to the extremely long entry aisle) and then when Papa and Sid were beating Hogan down, Warrior ran out (15 seconds) and beat everyone off of Hogan. Then fireworks surrounded the ring. It was pretty awesome, except for the whole having to use binoculars part. We had nosebleed tickets up by the pressbox in the old Hoosier Dome.

Wrestlemania 8 bitches.

w101200720.jpg

Wasn't that the one where the Ultimate Warrior returned to save Hogan from a post-match beatdown?

Indeed it was. Papa Shango ran out to help Sid (which took well over a minute due to the extremely long entry aisle) and then when Papa and Sid were beating Hogan down, Warrior ran out (15 seconds) and beat everyone off of Hogan. Then fireworks surrounded the ring. It was pretty awesome, except for the whole having to use binoculars part. We had nosebleed tickets up by the pressbox in the old Hoosier Dome.

Oh I loved the old RCA Dome (and the seats by the Pressbox, those were the only ones I could get :P).

6fQjS3M.png

1993 - Packers vs. L.A. Raiders @ Lambeau Field: At stake for the Packers was their first trip to the playoffs in a full season since 1972. It was cold as s**t even by Green Bay standards. I was a skinny 12-year old at the time and ended up getting body-surfed across the section when the Packers sealed the game in the 4th quarter... Reggie White picked up a fumble and lateralled to LeRoy Butler as he (White) was being pulled out of bounds. Butler took it the rest of the way and celebrated his TD by jumping into the stands, thus creating the tradition we know today as the Lambeau Leap.

1994 - Packers vs. Falcons @ County Stadium: This was the last game the Packers ever played in Milwaukee. Brett Favre scored the game winning TD on a scramble with less than a minute to go. Someone hung up a sign that said "Thank you Packers... please take the Brewers with you."

1989 - Packers vs. Buccaneers @ Lambeau Field: It was opening day, my first trip to Lambeau and relatively insignificant to any non-CCSLCers. The reason it's of interest to you? It was the only time in the Packers history that they wore white jerseys at home. Vinny Testaverde was the Bucs QB and was known for his color-blindness as much as anything he did in the NFL. The Packers were hoping the lower level of contrast between the Bucs creamsicles and their whites might give them an edge. It didn't and Tampa won 23-21.

And since we're including wrestling, I was at the 1996 King Of The Ring at what was then known as the Wisconsin Center Arena (formerly the MECCA Arena, now the U.S. Cellular Arena) where Stone Cold gave his famous Austin 3:16 speech. It wound up getting the biggest face pop of the night, thus beginning the process that would culminate at Mania 13... your welcome :P

"NO GOAL"- Game 6 Sabres v. Stars

AFC Championship Bills-Raiders. Earning first trip to the big dance... and the beginning of much heartache.

Blue Jackets inaugural game

Flyers v. Lightning game 6 Eastern Conference finals. Primeau scored on a breakaway in OT to force game 7.

Not a game, but I spent the week working the Team Canada training camp in Whistler for preparation of World Cup of Hockey '96.

I was in the bench area when Gretzky and Messier saw each other for the first time since being traded to the Rangers. That was cool

to see their interaction and meet and see all the players and coaches behind the scenes.

The only really big concerning one was my high school team played the State 5A champions Brookwood Broncos in Like week 6 this year.We played them at home,and lost in double OT,we were down by like 21 late in the 3rd,but we stormed back and tied the game then went to OT,finally in 2OT Our star QB threw a pass to the TE,he jumped up but it went right through his hands.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I've attended 3 NFC Championship games, either as an usher or as a fan. Working as an usher, I've attended 5 playoff games.

Also was at a few World Series games, including the "first half" of the deciding game 5 in 2008. Snuck in. Got denied trying to get in for the second half.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

NBA: Witnessed a piece of the Grizzlies' historic run to a franchise playoff record of 0-12 as they lost to Phoenix.

2005 NCAA Final Four: North Carolina beats Illinois to win the championship in St. Louis

2007 BCS Championship: 2-loss LSU defeats Ohio State in New Orleans

Archived