Biggest sporting events you have attended

PurpleRush

2009 NBA First Round Play-Offs Cavs @ Pistons Game 4.

Pistons were terrible and the Cavs had their greatest regular season in their entire history. So, when game 4 of the sweep came around for Detroit, Cleveland fans gobbled up the cheap tickets at the Palace and basically gave the Cavs homecourt advantage in Michigan. I have never been to another playoff game (other than the Akron Aeros which barely counts).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB: Last Twins game at Met Stadium ('81), first Twins game in Metrodome ('82), '87 ALCS Game 2

NFL: Packers vs. Vikings, Xmas Eve '04 and the playoff rematch at Lambeau two weeks later. Was 20 feet away from Randy Moss's "moon" but never saw it because of everyone in front of me getting up to leave.

NBA: Lakers' first game in Minnesota since moving to LA (December '89 vs. T'wolves at Metrodome)

NCAA: Gopher football's last game vs. Iowa at old Memorial Stadium ('80, a 24-6 win) and their first-ever game in the Metrodome ('82); '94 Division I hockey nat'l title game at St. Paul Civic Center (precursor to Xcel Energy Center)

NLL: My first Swarm game in '07 also happened to be the 1,000th regular season game in NLL history. This year I'll be at the home opener which is also the pro debut of Rochester's Cody Jamieson, perhaps the most hyped rookie in league history.

CCSLC signature.png

This is just easier for me to list the pro sporting events i've been to.

NHL

12/28/05 - Montreal Canadiens @ Tampa Bay Lightning.

My first NHL game. It was cool because I saw Vinny Lecavalier (my idol) score a top shelf breakaway goal.

1/9/07 - Pittsburgh Penguins @ Tampa Bay Lightning.

My 2nd NHL game. Still the only time i've seen the Bolts win.

3/17/09 - Toronto Maple Leafs @ Tampa Bay Lightning.

3rd NHL game. Bolts lost in shootout. Still awesome though.

MLB

3/12/09 - Philadelphia Phillies @ Tampa Bay Rays (Spring Training)

My first MLB game, if you'll call Spring Training an MLB game. My mom and I were bored in Florida so we went to my favorite team's ST facilities 20 minutes away. This is what got me in to baseball.

8/6/10 - Tampa Bay Rays @ Toronto Blue Jays

My first real MLB game. I really picked the worst game to go to in this series, because the next night was JP Arencibia's debut (the game with 9 homers) and the night after that was Brandon Morrow's 17 strikeout no hitter to the last batter.

ccslcsig-4.png

Numerous NBA Playoff games with the Bucks.

Marquette upset wins which had playoff type atmospheres.

First Packers game back at Lambeau after they won Super Bowl XXXI.

And My all time favorite. I was at the Brewers game in 2008 when they clinched their first Postseason berth in 26 years. The only thing that could top that would be a World Series victory in the coming years! It was an awesome feeling beating the hated Cubs to "secure" the fate. Then the AV team at Miller Park put the Mets/Marlins game on the big screen and we all watched the final outs from that game. The place erupted, confetti and streamers fell from the roof, and then the team came out to celebrate with the fans afterwards. Miller Lites and Champagne were flowing. I even heard that the Brewers folks bought out all the champagne from the grocery and liquor stores in the Miller Park area lol. Seeing CC excited by it was amazing too.

Also my High School, Wisconsin Lutheran winning their last ever WISAA State Championship! As 2 years later the WISAA would fold into the WIAA.

packchampionslfroh.png

In either 2006 or 2007, there was a thread about your ticket stubs. I placed most of them on that thread.

NCAAF: I attended the BCS title game from 2002-2007.

NCAABB: 1996 and 2003 Final Fours

WWE: Wrestlemania X-Seven

NFL: Super Bowl XXII, XXV, and XXXVI

MLB: 1993 ASG; NLCS in 1996 and 2010

NBA: 2004 ASG

PGA Tour: 2010 US Open, 2000 -2004 PGA Championship

Other: Mayweather v. Corrales; Morales v. Barrera II and III

2004 Flames Stanley Cup Run.

May 3/04 - Game 6 vs. Detroit

A win over the Presidents Trophy Champs and the Flames would be on to the Conference Finals for the first time since the Cup year in 1989. I was sitting at the opposite end of the rink and all I kept thinking was Detroit would some how pull this off and get it back to Detroit. Dying moments of Overtime and that pressure they put on Cujo was magical, Martin Gelinas the hero of those playoffs for sure.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

June 6, 2007

Stanley Cup Finals - Game 5

The Anaheim Ducks defeat the Ottawa Senators 6-2 to capture the Stanley Cup.

Best night of my life so far.

- 2002 ALCS Game 5 - Angels vs Twins. Adam Kennedy had 3 home runs to send the Halos to the World Series.

- 2009 NFC Championship Game - Cardinals vs Eagles. Cardinals won to go to the Super Bowl

- 2010 Fiesta Bowl - TCU vs Boise State. Great game that Boise ended up winning.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

- 2010 Frozen Four in Detroit. Awesome experience. Plus, I met Chris Chelios and Johnny Damon at a Wisconsin party at Cheli's Chili.

- Although they lost, this year's home opener for the Lions was awesome. I met Herman Moore before the game. I'm hoping to get to a Lions game next year too.

- I was at opening day in 2009 to see the Phillies' world seried banner go up. Pretty cool, even for an Angels fan.

- I've been to 2 or 3 Calder Cup finals games in Hershey, although none were clinching games.

MLB--2006 NLCS game 7 (the Endy catch/Molina homer game); last game at Shea in 2008; first game at Citi Field in 2009.

NCAAF--last game at Pitt Stadium in 1999

NHL--I've been to a bunch of pre-season and regular season games, but nothing special

NFL/NBA/NCAAB--never been

NFL - Super Bowl XIII, XXVIII. Too many Cowboys playoff games to mention. Leon Lett's infamous snow bowl gaffe against Miami. Emmitt Smith breaking the NFL rushing record. First ever game between Carolina and Jacksonville in Canton, OH.

MLB - Game 4 of the 2005 World Series (White Sox sweep the Astros).

NBA - Saw Lenny Wilkins get his 800th win with the Hawks over the Shaq- led Orlando Magic.

NCAA - Texas vs. A&M when Ricky Williams broke the all-time rushing record (since eclipsed). Tony Dorsett was there to congratulate Williams. Great moment.

newsig.jpg

I've got a few random ones

-Michael Jordan's last game in Chicago. He was on the Wizards, but everyone gave him a standing ovation for like 10 minutes. Pretty cool.

-Game 3? of the 2003 NLCS (The Bartman Series). The Cubs won like 12-3, and nobody seems to remember that game when I tell them I was there

-Hmm......I was at the game before Frank Thomas hit his 500th home run in Minnesota.

-I saw the great Jay Williams random triple-double a few weeks before he got into his motorcycle accident

And also, my parents were at the game that Michael Jordan broke his foot and missed most of his second season

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

1995 Stanley Cup Finals Game 3 - Det @ NJ

2000 Stanley Cup Finals Game 2 - Dal @ NJ

2000 World Series Game 4 - Yanks @ Mets

2002 NBA Finals Game 3 - Lakers @ NJ

2006 NLCS Game 7 - StL @ Mets

1998 AFC Divisional Playoff - Jax @ Jets

2009 Rose Bowl - Penn State / USC

------------------------------------

My dad's company used to have Devils season tickets which we had a 25% share of, so we always got 1 or 2 home games per series. Same with the Mets back when they were at Shea, so I've been to a bunch of other playoff games but they weren't as big as those above...

We have Jets season tickets on our own, though they've only hosted 2 playoff games in my lifetime.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

1996 Rose Bowl - USC vs. Northwestern

1998 NBA Western Conference Finals, Game 4 (Lakers vs. Jazz)

2004 West Coast Conference Women's Basketball Championship Game - LMU vs. Gonzaga (Santa Clara, CA)

2004 NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament - 1st Round - LMU vs. Baylor (Albuquerque, NM)

2006 West Coast Conference Men's Basketball Championship Game - LMU vs. Gonzaga (Spokane, WA)

VmWIn6B.png

Nothing crazy but I went to...

- two ALDS games in '02, it was Twins vs. A's

- the game Frank Thomas hit his 500th homer in

- first Twins spring training game after Kirby Puckett died :(

- game 162 in the Metrodome's final Twins season

- first exhibition game at Target Field, Cards vs. Twins

- Randy Moss's only home game in his 2nd stint with the Vikings

Two, both hockey games

One was from the late 80's, Flyers at Caps, Washington won, but it happened to be one of the higher penalized games in league history.

Second, December 11, 2006. Washington led the Pens at one point 4-0, the Pens win 5-4 in a shootout, NHL Network has replayed it since as a Classic Game.

Well, I'd have to say the biggest sporting event I've ever been to would have to be the 2010 Final Four. I also attended the semi-finals of the 2006 one (the George Mason year), and I've been to a 2009 Regional. I've also gone to the 2007 and 2009 Frozen Fours, both really fun experiences, and those are I think the only playoff games I've been to (aside from High School ones). I saw the first ever football game at Lucas Oil Stadium (a high school one), and I saw Starlin Castro "steal home" this past season (broke for home and a passed ball got by the Philly catcher, thus it's a steal of home). Additionally, I saw arguably what was at the time the biggest game in Blue Jackets history, a 2009 game at home against the Sharks (a 3-2 overtime win). I also got to ride the Zamboni once at a CBJ game, and I've been to 16 of the current MLB stadiums (plus Riverfront, Old Yankee, and RFK as stadiums that don't host baseball anymore).

6fQjS3M.png

I've never been to an NFL game since I live in LA.

The most memorable game I've been to was a game in 2008-2009 NBA season. The Lakers "at" the Clippers on 1/21/09. Bynum erupted for 42 points and 15 boards. Even better was that I was with my friend who's a Clipper fan, and he was trash-talking beforehand about how the Clips were going to destroy the Lakers. Don't think he ever thought Bynum would have a 42 point outburst. Come to think of it, neither did I. :P But, it was a very fun game. Everyone was rooting for Bynum to get to 40 points when he was approaching the mark.

I've been to another Laker game, in '06 against the Knicks. That was my first Laker game... and we lost lol. I've been to two Clipper games, but only because the tickets were free.

I've been to one Dodger game, one Angels game, one Kings game, and one Ducks game. Nothing too special with those events.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

I've been at two Nuggets playoff games. The first was game 3 against the Timberwolves. They lost the series 4-1 but they walloped the T-Wolves in that particular game. It was an awesome experience. The second was two years later against the Clippers. They lost the game and series.

I believe those are the only games of any significance that I've been to.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived