New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

What I found interesting is that he did not say it was NOT the logo, he just said he didn't see any of the reactions to anything. That's all I can rely from the interview.

Shocker.

no shtt he wants ppl to go to the block party on 11-11-11 plus why would he say yes or no he wants the marlins to get attention from the nation witch they cleary are getting

Right...and you were going around saying that he was going to prove you right at 5pm. Now its, oh wait until 11-11 when we find out that isn't the logo.

Even though merchandise is being made off those very designs. Logic sucks.

Wait, what proof has been offered that 'merchandise is being made'?

if this is legit (and all signs point to it), it came from a PDF of tshirt designs.

OK, but a mock-up PDF doesn't in-and-of-itself prove and/or mean merchandise of any logo is being made.

I mean obviously if they are announcing the new team identity system on November 11, then merchandise has likely been ordered with that new identity - but unless legit pictures of actual garments with the hideous logo are leaked - then I remain skeptically cautious that what we have seen is the new primary logo.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, Jorge Sedano from 790 The Ticket tweeted the following tonight:

"@SedanoShow Did a 1 on 1 interview w/David Samson, He told me new #Marlins logo in paper is inaccurate & no further comment"

Inaccurate may mean there is a slight variation of what we are seeing I suppose.

My favorite of the "modern" Super Bowl logos is this:

2349.gif

Virtually the same color scheme...it's very "South Beach". It works well for that city. The logo itself though...meh...

Now that being said, their current logo (both their primary and "F" Cap one) are the last of the "just before computers and genericism ruined mostly everything" era and they're both very, very nice. I'll definitely miss them.

That is a good logo - and I'm pretty sure that was done by Dan Simon of Studio Simon - who is arguably the best in the business (its not arguable for me - I'm convinced he's the best).

http://studiosimon.net/

I've had the pleasure of discussing the process of creating excellent high impact logo systems with Mr. Simon on a few occasions. He really is quite brilliant and cut his teeth doing graphic layout for Disney.

What blows me away is how many teams and organizations continue to use advertising or marketing firms to create logos. Sure marketing firms can create a logo - but its only one aspect of their business. It isn't their focus or expertise. Dan Simon is an expert.

Also, Plan B Branding has risen quickly to prominence.

It blows me away, however, that ML teams still turn to firms that aren't expert in logo design.

I don't think I like any sports related logo they've produced.

SME was responsible for designing the Jacksonville Jaguars' logo, which I consider to be one of the best logos in all of sports branding.

It's pretty good, but best? How so? The spots are hard to doodle, and the only use of the team's main color is in the tongue.

I agree. SME has some good work, but a lot of what they do is shepherding already established and iconic team identities.

Most of their original stuff in the sports arena is very busy and would cost extra to reproduce on garments and in print.

Truthfully I like the TB Lightning best of all they feature on their website. Simple, straightforward, easy to print, etc . . .

OK, but a mock-up PDF doesn't in-and-of-itself prove and/or mean merchandise of any logo is being made.

That Miami Marlins new logo pic is available at http://www.mlbstyleguide.com/. Which means it is basically in the merchandise processing phase (honestly, it's more than likely past that).

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

What I found interesting is that he did not say it was NOT the logo, he just said he didn't see any of the reactions to anything. That's all I can rely from the interview.

Shocker.

no shtt he wants ppl to go to the block party on 11-11-11 plus why would he say yes or no he wants the marlins to get attention from the nation witch they cleary are getting

Right...and you were going around saying that he was going to prove you right at 5pm. Now its, oh wait until 11-11 when we find out that isn't the logo.

if this is legit (and all signs point to it), it came from a PDF of tshirt designs.

I mean obviously if they are announcing the new team identity system on November 11, then merchandise has likely been ordered with that new identity - but unless legit pictures of actual garments with the hideous logo are leaked - then I remain skeptically cautious that what we have seen is the new primary logo.

Not the primary - this is the cap logo, confirmed.

I don't think I like any sports related logo they've produced.

SME was responsible for designing the Jacksonville Jaguars' logo, which I consider to be one of the best logos in all of sports branding.

SME did some decent work back in the late 90's but I'm pretty sure all those people are gone and the firm has been under new management for quite some time. So I believe it's a completely different company than the one that did a lot of the old rebranding work you would know them for in the past.

Exactly, Gothamite. The Marlins and their officials can dance around playing the semantics game ("That's not the primary logo!"), but it's been confirmed as the cap logo.

The thrust of the original breaking news here was there was a PDF containing t-shirt templates, and the t-shirt design was of the team name (uniform standard block for everyone) over the cap logo. It's been pretty well established that MLB doesn't consider cap logos the "primary" logo, so the Marlins will dance around and say, "That's not right". I trust Lukas and the insider sources here that say you'll see that logo on the new Marlins caps on 11/11/11.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

That Miami Marlins new logo pic is available at http://www.mlbstyleguide.com/. Which means it is basically in the merchandise processing phase (honestly, it's more than likely past that).

I'm actually logged into the Style Guide right now and don't see it anywhere. Where are you finding it?

That Miami Marlins new logo pic is available at http://www.mlbstyleguide.com/. Which means it is basically in the merchandise processing phase (honestly, it's more than

likely past that).

I'm actually logged into the Style Guide right now and don't

see it anywhere. Where are you finding it?

All I will say is get creative. The HTML page is still up, but the clickable link isn't (at least I couldn't find it). Like I said, get creative with the address bar and Ta-Da!!!

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

That Miami Marlins new logo pic is available at http://www.mlbstyleguide.com/. Which means it is basically in the merchandise processing phase (honestly, it's more than

likely past that).

I'm actually logged into the Style Guide right now and don't

see it anywhere. Where are you finding it?

All I will say is get creative. The HTML page is still up, but the clickable link isn't (at least I couldn't find it). Like I said, get creative with the address bar and Ta-Da!!!

I feel silly for not experimenting with that to begin with. Thanks. :)

I don't see it as Marlinslug at all. The Buffaslug was trying to be abstract yet still featured enough realistic elements to make it a complete disaster. This logo doesn't have any detailed parts to it - like eyes for example. It's not even trying to be a real fish, so what it's lacking is really irrelevant. On the other hand, since the Slug had a face, its lack of legs really stood out. Can't have it both ways... looks like the designers here understood that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Shocker.

Not the primary - this is the cap logo, confirmed.

Not the primary, but we're not talking these huge major differences.

Sun-Sentinel did a poll. Almost 1,000 people voted...which isn't much. So far though 71% of fans hate the new Marlins proposed logo:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-marlins/sfl-what-do-you-think-of-the-what-may-be-the-new-marlins-logo-20110922,0,7918560,post.poll

Also....you'll notice in this main article, CCSLC is alluded to early on (although not by name): http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-marlins/fl-marlins-braves-highlights-0922-20110921,0,965426.story

Asked his opinion, Logan Morrison said, "I don't know, I'd have to see it on the uniform. It won't be black and teal. We'll be the skittle boys chasing the rainbow, I guess."

"Early returns on Sports Biz with Darren Rovell on CNBC, 88.4% say it’s either bad (38%) or horrendous (50.4%). Only 1% say it’s great."

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I don't see it as Marlinslug at all. The Buffaslug was trying to be abstract yet still featured enough realistic elements to make it a complete disaster. This logo doesn't have any detailed parts to it - like eyes for example. It's not even trying to be a real fish, so what it's lacking is really irrelevant. On the other hand, since the Slug had a face, its lack of legs really stood out. Can't have it both ways... looks like the designers here understood that.

I agree. However since it doesn't look like a fish, it looks like a Jet. I already mentioned the mid-90's Jets logo. When somethings abstract, it has to at least register in someone's mind that it's what it's intended to look like. With this logo, that's like drawing a Cub head and having it look like a bison.

By the way, someone already meantioned this, but there's something even more abstact in the 'M' itself. The yellow represents the sun, the blue represents the ocean, and the orange represents the sunset. I guess that's what all of these hints about a sunset theme meant.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Archived