New Marlins Uniforms?

xTr1pleXx

Is it intentional that your undershirts are two tones, one color on the front and other on the back?

I think whoever made that was just trying to display different shirt combinations/possibilities.

Also, if they're gonna go with the colours-on-black- funky-Miami-night-scene-bright-lights-party theme, then why keep the name "Marlins"?

Because no team in modern sports history has changed their nickname without relocating, and the Marlins aren't really locating (MLS being a notable exception, and the Bullets). But it hasn't happened in baseball in since the Houston Colt 45s, I think, and that was 50 years ago.

Plus the Marlins name has 2 championships associated with it, can't toss it now.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"No team in modern sports history"? Well, besides the exceptions you cited, which are at least six off the top of my head, the Tennessee Oilers did it, too. After leaving Houston and spending one year in Memphis, they were the Oilers for a year in Nashville before changing to Titans to coincide with the opening of the new stadium. So it's been done just about everywhere.

Still, I'm glad the Marlins are not changing the name. Who knows, someday an owner might want to go retro and bring back the original teal.

"No team in modern sports history"? Well, besides the exceptions you cited, which are at least six off the top of my head, the Tennessee Oilers did it, too. After leaving Houston and spending one year in Memphis, they were the Oilers for a year in Nashville before changing to Titans to coincide with the opening of the new stadium. So it's been done just about everywhere.

Still, I'm glad the Marlins are not changing the name. Who knows, someday an owner might want to go retro and bring back the original teal.

I'll give you the Oilers, but there is no doubt that they changed their name BECAUSE they relocated, even though it didn't happen concurrently.

And yes, many many examples in MLS but there is a whole paradigm shift happening there.

Because no team in modern sports history has changed their nickname without relocating, and the Marlins aren't really locating (MLS being a notable exception, and the Bullets). But it hasn't happened in baseball in since the Houston Colt 45s, I think, and that was 50 years ago.

Plus the Marlins name has 2 championships associated with it, can't toss it now.

Um...

Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

nav-logo.png

Don't think I want them to change, but if the only thing Marlin-related is an abstract kitchen-knife sea bass on the cap logo, you may as well. "But Marlins is a great name, it has a history, we should keep it" - then make the jerseys Marlin-related! My post was more a statement on the irrelevant theme of the jerseys than anything else. If you really want to go that way, change the name. Don't wanna change the name? Then don't go that way!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

What are you going to change the name to if you do? The Miami Funky Lights?

The Miami LET'S HAVE A REAL GOOD TIME LET'S HAVE A REAL GOOD TIME presented by Dr. Pepper

"That Pitbull sure is talented!"

- Nobody

Um...

Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to the Anaheim Ducks.

Los Angeles Angels -> California Angels -> Anaheim Angels -> Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

This is an example more appropriate for the Marlins, changing the location without relocating, while the nickname remains the same.

Perhaps what "f-ing palko" meant was when a team adopts a completely new mascot and identity. Like when the Colt 45s became the Astros. All the Rays and Dukcs did was drop a word out of their name. All the Angels did was change their location name several times.

spacer.png

It should be noted somewhere that's just a concept.

Yes... but a concept that was already posted here on the CCSLC and removed shortly thereafter no? I remember several folks in the know commenting on how this concept is very close to the real deal.

Well yeah, the uniforms have pretty much already been described. It's just not clear if the wordmarks on the home and away are just black, or are multi-colored like in the concept. It's also not clear if the alts will say MIAMI or MARLINS.

Either way, we know there are only two caps - solid black and solid orange. So if you're using the concept as a predictor, note that it's off in that respect.

Actually it has been made known that the home and away both say Miami, while both alts say Marlins. And I believe at least the 2 primaries are in fact black lettering with the rainbow trim.

Don't know if it's been mentioned or talk about here but Robbman's mock/speculated designed has been mentioned and reported on by Yahoo! Sports and MetsBlog

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Um...

Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Yeah, good call. The Rays totally changed their nickname. Just blanked on them.

Just as an FYI, I have just gone through and RGB-optimized all of the 2012 MLB graphics for all teams.

As the teams unveil the new designs, I will be posting complete sets of marks, uniform scripts, uniform numbers, etc.

Just as an FYI, I have just gone through and RGB-optimized all of the 2012 MLB graphics for all teams.

As the teams unveil the new designs, I will be posting complete sets of marks, uniform scripts, uniform numbers, etc.

You da man. Would it be appropriate to do this in its own separate thread?

Archived