Tampa Bay Lightning New Logos

KCScout76

It would appear the shades of all three blues are different, the lightning's two only slightly. Either that or NHLUniforms.com is bad need of colour optimization. Won't know for sure until Colorwerx gets Tampa's new swatches.

leafslightning.png

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K, what are victory stripes?

Victory stripes were small stripes underneath the arms that were seen when players raised their arms after scoring or winning. They had been there since the team's inception.

1243500123_f845f192e2_o.png

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Does releasing a new look midway through the season to "avoid leaks" really make any sense? How could a leak have a more negative impact than throwing away a few more months of current logo sales?

Once the new logos are leaked, nobody would want buy the old stuff. I think that's the reasoning.

It would appear the shades of all three blues are different, the lightning's two only slightly. Either that or NHLUniforms.com is bad need of colour optimization. Won't know for sure until Colorwerx gets Tampa's new swatches.

Current Maple Leaf colors:

TorontoMapleLeafs_FRC_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Current (through this season anyway) Lightning colors:

TampaBayLightning_FRC_2011_SOL_SRGB.png

Same Blue.

The Lightning bolt on the pants would look out of place on such a tradional looking uniform. I guess they had to sacrifice it. The removal of the victory stripes however, that's inexcusable. They could of kept that piece of their history and it would not have hurt their new branding campaign at all.

Does releasing a new look midway through the season to "avoid leaks" really make any sense? How could a leak have a more negative impact than throwing away a few more months of current logo sales?

Once the new logos are leaked, nobody would want buy the old stuff. I think that's the reasoning.

But doesn't every day that goes by between today and when they're leaked = more old jersey sales? Seems like they gave that up, which would counter your explanation. Plus, who really knows about the leaks (unless it's something really controversial like the Slug that actually made the news)? The average fan isn't on sites like these.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's some stuff from their site that I thought was interesting.

Why announce the logo change now?

The logo change is emblematic of our entire brand and business transformation. It stands for who we aspire to become. As we begin to make our vision a reality, this logo will stand the test of time.

Additionally, normally we see teams make these changes in the middle of the off-season while nothing is going on with the team. We like the idea of getting the logo in front of our fans while they are focused on the team. We think fans will embrace it and look forward to wearing it proudly.

What's wrong with the current logo? Wasn't it just introduced a few years ago?

Yes, the current logo debuted for the 2007-08 season, but we were looking for a simpler, more traditional, iconic design that would stand the test of time. We like the two color system and the simplicity of the new mark.

We also found when studying the current mark that the black eats the blue and the silver turns gray in most applications and on television.

Isn't this just another logo change by a new ownership to make money selling merchandise?

The season ticket holder jersey concept should help disprove that theory. We are going out of our pockets for thousands of jerseys. And please note, we intend on owning and managing the team for a long time and this logo won't be changed again.

Will the logo be worn this season?

Due to production needs and timing, the team will continue to wear the current jerseys for the remainder of this season, and hopefully, the playoffs. We will be able to bring the new logo to life in other ways, including our television broadcasts on our website and in the game presentation. We look forward to sharing it with our fans in as many ways as possible.

What will happen to the "Bolts" third jersey?

We still have the option to wear the third jersey moving forward if we so choose. The jersey would need some minor alterations (ie shoulder patch) if we elect to move forward with it, but the blue jersey with the white B-O-L-T-S lettering would remain as is.

Will there be a free jersey for every season ticket holder?

Yes, every full season ticket holder will get the home jersey with a microchip. If a single account holder maintains four seats, he or she will get four jerseys.

Does anyone else have the microchip concept? We believe the Lightning will be the first team to introduce a micro chipped jersey like ours. We aim to create a first rate experience for our season ticket holders and offer them unmatched benefits and perks for being the prime stakeholders and supporters of the Lightning team. Substantial in-arena discounts are just the first step in developing those tangible benefits.

We hope an added benefit for everyone will be the great in-arena look and feel at our home games: All of our season ticket holders wearing the same jerseys and having the same look as our team on the ice when they step on the ice. We hope create an unmatched fan experience at our games and this is one step in doing that.

And please note, we intend on owning and managing the team for a long time and this logo won't be changed again.

argh.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

But doesn't every day that goes by between today and when they're leaked = more old jersey sales? Seems like they gave that up, which would counter your explanation. Plus, who really knows about the leaks (unless it's something really controversial like the Slug that actually made the news)? The average fan isn't on sites like these.

My guess is that sales of their primary and away jerseys are in the tank. Seeing how retro is the current fad, its not hard to believe Tampa's futuristic rags are already out of date just 4 seasons after they were introduced. My guess is the "Bolts" jersey is outselling them both by a fair margin.

While I'm not a huge fan of Tampa's new jerseys, Im definitely glad they ditched their initial Edge set. The front numbers and the way the Blue bled into to the black made them absolute eyesore.

And none of this is about jersey sales if they are giving them away to many of the fans who are most likely to buy them -- all their season ticket holders. Interesting.

I like the idea behind getting everyone in the same jersey, too, and I see the microchip gimmick catching on right away with other teams.

Off the top of my head, the White Sox started wearing black and silver with one month to go in 1990. Not quite smack dab in the middle of the season, but the same idea.

Eriqjaffe could tell you for sure, but I am 95% sure the Sox only wore the new home jerseys while wearing the navy and red jerseys on the road for the rest of the year.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Off the top of my head, the White Sox started wearing black and silver with one month to go in 1990. Not quite smack dab in the middle of the season, but the same idea.

Eriqjaffe could tell you for sure, but I am 95% sure the Sox only wore the new home jerseys while wearing the navy and red jerseys on the road for the rest of the year.

Back in 1985. the Texas Rangers wore their 1986 road uniforms for a portion of the season.

I'm almost certain the new roads got at least a bit of wear on the field in '90. I have memories of seeing a front page of a sports section with Ozzie Guillen from a road game, and instantly falling in love with the look. Of course, memories being what they are, who knows for sure.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

How come on the jersey worn by a fan below has a small lightning bolt on the sleeves...

102978504SA0992_slide.jpg

...while the ones below don't appear to have any.

102978504SA0943_slide.jpg

Are they just hidden in the second picture or are they really absent? If there's really two different versions, I like the ones with the bolt better. All the jerseys should be like that.

Here's some stuff from their site that I thought was interesting.

What's wrong with the current logo? Wasn't it just introduced a few years ago?

Yes, the current logo debuted for the 2007-08 season, but we were looking for a simpler, more traditional, iconic design that would stand the test of time. We like the two color system and the simplicity of the new mark.

We also found when studying the current mark that the black eats the blue and the silver turns gray in most applications and on television.

That is actually a very very good point. The home jersey they're using now, on TV, looks like a plain black jersey with not much else going on.

I have to admit, after a few days of its unveiling and regardless of the "Tampa Bay Maple Wings sponsored by Intel and Some Energy Drink" comments, the new look is growing on me. As much as what I thought they had logowise was already perfect and didn't need changing. I also think the shoulder patch would look much better at center ice.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived