2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's good watching Chicago completely give up on the AL Central. My Indians are starting 3, that's right 3 players from the opening day roster, if that. Cabrera, Marson, and Santana. Somehow they keep winning, but Chicago refused to help. This could be the first year a AAA team makes the postseason.

Jack McKeon's decision to argue that Hunter Pence hit a home run has paid off, as the Marlins have won 5-4.

Pending protest review. The remainder of the game was played under protest, with the best line coming from radio announcer Scott Franzke, stating in the 13th, "I protest the length of this game!"

The Phillies have very little chance to win this protest, as there is enough ambiguity in the rules as they currently exist to allow what happened to stand.

Just pray Joe West does not have the chance to start making up rules in a baseball game you care about ...

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

it's good watching Chicago completely give up on the AL Central. My Indians are starting 3, that's right 3 players from the opening day roster, if that. Cabrera, Marson, and Santana. Somehow they keep winning, but Chicago refused to help. This could be the first year a AAA team makes the postseason.

Lol, the fact you still think the Tribe have a chance is hilarious

Lol, the fact you still think the Tribe have a chance is hilarious

Eh, Indians need a sweep to stay in this race. If they get it, they're 3.5 back, if not, they're either 5.5, 7.5, or 9.5. It's a big series, and I think the Indians realise this. Grady Sizemore was activated to hit leadoff today, and there's a good chance they'll bring Kipnis back tomorrow or Wednesday.

6fQjS3M.png

I think the Indians have the power to win 1 to 2 games in this series, but just dont see them managing a sweep. Could be a really good series. I'm hoping the Tigers could win this series as it would be a big boost...

I think the Indians have the power to win 1 to 2 games in this series, but just dont see them managing a sweep. Could be a really good series. I'm hoping the Tigers could win this series as it would be a big boost...

The home team has won like 24 of the last 27 games between the teams or something ridiculous like that... I mean, the Indians have already swept the Tigers once at home this year, why can't they do it again?

6fQjS3M.png

The home team has won like 24 of the last 27 games between the teams or something ridiculous like that... I mean, the Indians have already swept the Tigers once at home this year, why can't they do it again?

The Indians can absolutely win this series. They just have no realistic shot at winning the division. They simply don't have the horses to do it. Since that 30-15 start, they've gone 40-52. Teams that play .432 baseball for a 92 game stretch usually don't win divisions. A more realistic goal would be a .500 season. Despite their lousy play since the beginning of June, the Indians are still on the radar at this point. If I'm a tribe fan, I gotta be pretty happy about that. No matter what happens from here, their season has already far exceeded expectations.

BB52Big.jpg

How bad is the Giants offense? They have the least amount of runs scored(469), and in the NL the next closest is the Padres with 525, who aren't exactly a good offense either. The AL team with the fewest is Seattle at 480. The Giants remind me of the 07 49ers when even the worst defenses shut them down.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Jack McKeon's decision to argue that Hunter Pence hit a home run has paid off, as the Marlins have won 5-4.

Pending protest review. The remainder of the game was played under protest, with the best line coming from radio announcer Scott Franzke, stating in the 13th, "I protest the length of this game!"

The Phillies have very little chance to win this protest, as there is enough ambiguity in the rules as they currently exist to allow what happened to stand.

Just pray Joe West does not have the chance to start making up rules in a baseball game you care about ...

Joe West 25 years of incompetence, its amazing he is still allowed to be a Major League Umpire.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Indians can absolutely win this series. They just have no realistic shot at winning the division. They simply don't have the horses to do it. Since that 30-15 start, they've gone 40-52. Teams that play .432 baseball for a 92 game stretch usually don't win divisions. A more realistic goal would be a .500 season. Despite their lousy play since the beginning of June, the Indians are still on the radar at this point. If I'm a tribe fan, I gotta be pretty happy about that. No matter what happens from here, their season has already far exceeded expectations.

Not making excuses, but I would like to see how Detroit would do if their top 5-6 hitters go down with injuries halfway through the season. We get everybody back next year, I can't imagine having this kind of bad luck again...we'll have the division

Nope, no sweep.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Not making excuses, but I would like to see how Detroit would do if their top 5-6 hitters go down with injuries halfway through the season.

It's a fair point to make. Certainly, the first key to making the postseason is having the talent to do it. But right behind that is depth and the ability to stay healthy. In the Indians case, there really isn't any depth on the roster. Add in the injuries to those hitters you bring up and 30-15 turns to 40-52 pretty quick. The Indians are similar to the Giants this year; their pitching has kept them in the race far longer than anyone could reasonably expect. If they stay healthy, add a little depth, and the pitching can repeat this year's performance, then yeah, next year should be very interesting.

BB52Big.jpg

Not making excuses, but I would like to see how Detroit would do if their top 5-6 hitters go down with injuries halfway through the season.

It's a fair point to make. Certainly, the first key to making the postseason is having the talent to do it. But right behind that is depth and the ability to stay healthy. In the Indians case, there really isn't any depth on the roster. Add in the injuries to those hitters you bring up and 30-15 turns to 40-52 pretty quick. The Indians are similar to the Giants this year; their pitching has kept them in the race far longer than anyone could reasonably expect. If they stay healthy, add a little depth, and the pitching can repeat this year's performance, then yeah, next year should be very interesting.

I agree our pitching is pretty solid. I'm interested to see who will be able to take over the 5th spot in the rotation, and the bullpen seems to be set. We have the talent all around, but they couldn't stay healthy. We have the age factor as well which can't really be said for any other team in the division. The problem is the young players that have come up have talent, but they take time. Kipnis is the only one who came in right away and contributed big. But guys like Carrera and Chisenall are very inconsistent and still learning. I'm just happy we look to be set for a few good years of baseball.

Joe West 25 years of incompetence, its amazing he is still allowed to be a Major League Umpire.

Firing him would be an admission of error for the MLB, and we all know how averse Bud Selig is to those.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived