2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prince Fielder told TBS it's probably his final season in Milwaukee

Wonder if a World Series would change his mind?

If not, Toronto this your chance to throw all you can at the Fresh Prince.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Yeah I don't see any reason why he would want to play in Toronto. Sorry but that's not a desirable destination for a big name free agent. That's like me saying Cleveland has a chance at him. Not going to happen.

I have only been Toronto once, and never been to Cleveland.

But that's like comparing apples to oranges. Toronto is a world class city (Totally not bashing Cleveland), so freaking what if it's in Canada. Chris Bosh thought it was like playing in a foreign city, how's being a third wheel in Miami Bosh Spice. Anyways can somebody from Toronto come defend Toronto for me, I find it would be a great city to play in, all the things that New York has to offer, just a wee bit smaller and it's good organization with a great youthful core and things can only look up from here.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

But that's like comparing apples to oranges. Toronto is a world class city (Totally not bashing Cleveland), so freaking what if it's in Canada. Chris Bosh thought it was like playing in a foreign city, how's being a third wheel in Miami Bosh Spice. Anyways can somebody from Toronto come defend Toronto for me, I find it would be a great city to play in, all the things that New York has to offer, just a wee bit smaller and it's good organization with a great youthful core and things can only look up from here.

I'm not from Toronto, but I have relatives that are, and I've spent plenty of time in the city.

It's a world class city, no doubt. Bashing Cleveland almost seems unavoidable with the "you have to be from here" attitude emanating from certain members who call the city and surrounding area home lately, but trust me, I'm not bashing the city when I say it's not on Toronto's level. Toronto has it all. Culture, great food, a fantastic sports scene, luxurious shopping, and top notch accommodations in the hotel department. I'm sure Cleveland's not to shabby in these departments, but Toronto's truly a world class city with a bustling modern multi-culturalit element.

The only thing that separates it from Boston, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Los Angeles is the fact that it's in Canada. Which for vmd9 might as well make it uninhabitable, but to everyone else it's a fantastic place to live.

I'm just speculating here, but could it be that Toronto "felt like playing in a foreign city" to Bosh because, for American players, Toronto is a foreign city in a foreign country? B)

BB52Big.jpg

be

Yeah I don't see any reason why he would want to play in Toronto. Sorry but that's not a desirable destination for a big name free agent. That's like me saying Cleveland has a chance at him. Not going to happen.

The only reason why Toronto wouldn't be a desirable destination is the division that they're in. If they showed a willingness to compete, it would absolutely be a destination for top talent. You do fall off the American pop-culture radar a bit when you're there, and it is a foreign country with different currency and different customs (though culturally not that much of a change), but it's still a "world" city with as much to offer as many of the top US cities and it's the socio-economic center of influence for an entire nation. Hell, Roger Clemens went there, Roy Halladay had no issues playing there, Rocket Ismail went there for crying out loud. Comparing Toronto to Cleveland really isn't fair.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Rogers Communications has a :censored:load of more money than Larry Dolan does first. They can easily afford to pay Fielder 25 or 30 million a year.

Second, having spent time in both cities, Toronto is a world-class city. Cleveland isn't. While I love Cleveland, it's because it's quasi-home to me. Toronto's a much nicer city, and I'd love to see Prince there. I think it can happen though. I mean, where are his other options? As far as contending teams go, maybe Texas or Anaheim in the AL but that's it as far as teams who can spend right now that don't already have a first baseman and DH. In the NL, he could end up in Chicago with the Cubs or Atlanta, maybe the Giants. Outside of that though, I don't see anyone else having the financial means / open first base position to go after him.

6fQjS3M.png

A couple weeks back I said to a friend, "there are no good races in baseball this year" and look what's happened. The Angels and Rays are making things somewhat interesting and the Brewers and Diamondbacks are kneck and kneck in a heated race to not play Philadelphia.

I guess we will have reason to watch the last 10 games. Personally, I would LOLZ all day long if the Red Sox blow this just to see the entitled Bill Simmons-ites (and Simmons himself) revert back to their "woe is me" pre-2004 attitudes they miss so much.

Other than that I'm excited for Detroit and Milwaukee. The Tigers haven't won a division title since 1987, 1982 for the Brewers. It's nice to see solid baseball cities getting some play on the big stage.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Personally, I would LOLZ all day long if the Red Sox blow this just to see the entitled Bill Simmons-ites (and Simmons himself) revert back to their "woe is me" pre-2004 attitudes they miss so much.

Other than that I'm excited for Detroit and Milwaukee. The Tigers haven't won a division title since 1987, 1982 for the Brewers. It's nice to see solid baseball cities getting some play on the big stage.

Nothing would please me more than a Red Sox collapse. The Rays made a bit of a statement last night but the truth is that if they don't take at least three out of the four games, it's all but over. The Rays get the Yankees for seven of their remaining ten games after this series while Boston gets seven against an Orioles team that's already got it's bags packed. It could still get interesting but I don't think it will.

Detroit and Milwaukee are my "bandwagon" playoff teams. A Tigers - Brewers World Series would be great.

While we're talking pennant races (or lack thereof in this case)... A while back I said there was just no way the Indians were going to win the division. My thought was that a .500 season was a far more realistic goal. Some of my fellow Ohioans took great exception to those statements. I'd just like to point out that as of today, the Indians are 72-75. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Chris Bosh thought it was like playing in a foreign city, how's being a third wheel in Miami Bosh Spice.

Great, considering he got to go to the Finals in his first year and take very little blame for losing.

Yeah he wasn't going to win anything in Canada and neither would Prince. For the record I never said Cleveland was better than Toronto, all I was saying was an an Indians fan I would love to say he'd play for us but that is impossible. Same goes for Toronto. Of course Toronto is a nicer city, but Cleveland is in America and I'll take that anyday if I'm looking for a team to play for. There's a reason why guys like Bosh and Carter didn't like playing there, and reasons why guys like Darlington Nagbe didn't want to be drafted by the Whitecaps. You got hockey, but when it comes to other sports you are a far second...

Archived