Uniform that your team should bring back

GriffinM6

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, great thread idea! My ideal Pittsburgh sports lineup would be to have all teams have primarily black and athletic gold uniforms. I am referring to the current Penguins identity and their glitzy Vegas Gold(Mario...I'm looking at you). Don't get me started on the Bruins being similar. What about the Maple Leafs/Lightning, Islanders/Oilers, and the Canadiens/Rangers? The Bruins also have brown to separate themselves. For my full rant, you can go here, lol: (Just scroll to the bottom of the page)http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=74523&st=440 . Anyways, it would be unique and fantastic to have all major Pittsburgh sports teams to have the same identity. It would provide a sense of unity among fans and players.

First up, the Penguins:

93home.jpgyrkRoad.jpg02Home.jpg03Home.jpg

The top two are great primaries and the bottom two are great alternates to switch it up every once in a while. The current Penguins identity is so muddled that it does not even know if they are powder blue, navy blue, and white, or if they are black, vegas gold, and white. Just look at how many colors there are in their current uniforms. You can find athletic gold in the two blue WC alternates(It can be two shades if you count the off shade of white covering on the most recent WC jersey crest). You have powder blue and navy blue. You have black, vegas gold(many shades on their jerseys, some lighter, some darker like on the side panels), and white(plus the off-shade, vintage white II previously mentioned). It's a complete mess. The 00-06 Vegas Gold jerseys were far better than this current nonsense. Their overall design of the jersey reminded me of a triangle which fits Pittsburgh(golden triangle). You can blame Rbk Edge, I blame horrible, bland, unappealing, mismatched colors, with unnappealing design. Phew, sorry, that was longer than I expected lol.

For the Pirates:

pittsburgh-pirates-home-white-mlb-replica-jersey-3158054.jpgpittsburgh-pirates-road-grey-mlb-replica-jersey-3158055.jpg

Pirates look good in vests. Their current alternate is just fine. The Steelers looked better in block lettering. It just emphasized "steel" unlike the curly font they have now.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

You talk about a muddled identity, yet you advocate mis-matched home and roads, and a road that contains a color that is seen nowhere else in their entire package? I don't see any universe in which those road jerseys can be considered top-level quality. There's simply not enough space provided here to go in to what is wrong with them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You talk about a muddled identity, yet you advocate mis-matched home and roads, and a road that contains a color that is seen nowhere else in their entire package? I don't see any universe in which those road jerseys can be considered top-level quality. There's simply not enough space provided here to go in to what is wrong with them.

I kind of see what you're saying. But there are only 5 colors in all of the jerseys(white,black,gray,athletic gold, and vegas gold). I did make a mistake with the mis-matched home and road. The jerseys should be in different spots than I put them because darker mean home now and white is on the road. I'm not saying to bring back these jerseys as they were, but they should at least be a starting point to make a uniform lineup that has some kind of identity to associate with in marketing. You have three different crests(though that might change because they are supposed to be getting rid of the 08-11 baby blues). Two should be the limit. Any more than two just doesn't work. Fans would be confused as two what jersey to buy. I hope that they would at least go back to the 00-06 jerseys because they were great. We are already seeing a revival of the old style striping(see Predators, Oilers, Lightning, Sabres, Maple Leafs). The only thing to get rid of now is the hem protruding out at the bottom of the sweaters. In baseball, the striping on the sleeves mark the end of the jersey. In football, the striping on the sleeves mark the end of the jersey. In basketball, the colors around the shoulders of the vest end the jersey. I'm sorry if this is turning into one of those topics where the template becomes the story rather than overall jersey design. That isn't my intention.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

For the Saints...

4349633.jpg

Failing that, I'd like them to 1) go back to that shade of gold, 2) either add some stripes to the black pants or do away with them, and 3) add white to the stripe on the gold pants to match the helmet stripe. That, my friends, would add up to the best Saints look ever.

Rams too for that matter. I can't believe I'm the only one around here who thinks the Rams old blue and white uniforms are their best look. That helmet is killer.

BB52Big.jpg

If they brought it back they would have to redesign the blue jersey so that it matches the white one. The blue Rams jerseys from the blue and white era were, yes, a little boring. Other then that, I think it's a sharp looking set.

I get what you're saying Vet, but it just seems limiting. Like I said before I think a team's only goal when it comes to uniform design should be to look good. If going back to an old design will accomplish that better then a new, updated set then you should return to the old design. Yeah, it sounds nice to say a team should always look forward and not back, but it just seems way to limiting for what should be a very simple goal; for a team to look it's best.

Actually, I'd argue that disqualifying previously used designs actually makes your options limitless. I'm not a fan of the Phillies current uniform, but they're a good example of what I'm talking about. They didn't just "go back" to a previous era - they enhanced it (the results of which are debatable of course.) You can move forward while looking back, if it's appropriate for the situation.

I'm sorry, I'm not following. The way I see it, when a team is looking for a new uniform they have a few options. They can readopt an old look, update an old look, tweak the look they have, or come up with something different. You're suggesting that they shouldn't readopt an old look, which limits one of their option. I'm not saying that every team looking to change their uniform should go with an old design, but if there's an older design that will be an improvement over what you have now, and it can work without any tweaking, I don't see why it shouldn't be adopted.

For the record I agree with you on the Jets uniforms. That 60s logo is a hot mess.

If they brought it back they would have to redesign the blue jersey so that it matches the white one. The blue Rams jerseys from the blue and white era were, yes, a little boring. Other then that, I think it's a sharp looking set.

Agreed. It'll never happen, but it should.

BB52Big.jpg

either one as a third jersey. current one is nice but too similar to the home and roads

Canucks20.png

Bring these back as home and roads but put the weagle on the shoulders and keep the current home jersey as a third.

Capitals16.png

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

i agree, all 4 philly teams look great right now.

altho i'd love to see the sixers create an alternate based on this jersey.

canotta%20sixers.jpg

Love this jersey.

Agree... this is by far the best the Sixers have ever looked.

The Flames should make these ones their primaries (Or something very much like them.)

Use black on a third jersey, perhaps. Although the last unis prior to the Edge unis were nice as well.

flames.png

(From nhluniforms.com--but not hotlinked)

The Calgary Stampeders should go back to either the Flutie era unis--which were simple, but effective-

stampsflutie.png

Or these ones they wore as throwbacks last season-(or something based on them, although they were awful most of the years they wore these--but I like the grey/silver pants)

stamps2.png

See them in action from last season

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

i agree, all 4 philly teams look great right now.

altho i'd love to see the sixers create an alternate based on this jersey.

canotta%20sixers.jpg

Love this jersey.

Agree... this is by far the best the Sixers have ever looked.

Thirded.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived