2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

The Hoosiers were who we thought they were.

Oh, and before AnythingChicago comes in here proclaiming that their win over UConn puts the Bearcats "in", their non-conference SoS is still 317. Anything below 300 puts any at-large chance in jeopardy.

I'm not really understanding your coldness towards me here, I'm not saying that it puts them "in" per se. There's still a lot of Big East basketball to play, and we'll just have to see how it plays out. I will admit that luck was certainly on Cincinnati's side in last night's game.

It's nothing personal, and nothing against Cincinnati except their approach to scheduling outside of conference. Jerry Palm has the Bearcats "out" at this point for the same reason I have them "out": their non-conference SoS is terrible. Consider that their RPI coming into tonight was 101. That was after the win over UConn.

I'm just saying that if UC finds itself on the outside looking in on Selection Sunday, don't get mad at the Selection Committee, get mad at Mick Cronin for scheduling that farce of a non-conference slate.

If UC does manage to prove me wrong (which I admit is certainly possible), I will tip my hat to them. They do have talent and they can make some noise in the Big East (and part of me wants them to). But the odds are stacked against them and the signs point to what Colorado was last season, etc. etc. They have no margin for error.

Yeah, that's definitely correct. It's been a recurring theme ever since Cronin has been coach to schedule cupcakes for their out of conference schedule. They probably had a similar out of conference SoS last year actually, so it's a bit surprising they got the 6 seed; they didn't really play overly well in the Big East, nothing like this year for sure. But, then again, they beat all those cupcakes last year, and they beat Xavier and Oklahoma comfortably.

25yzwqg.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually get upset at any Power Six team that schedules that way (unless they are in full-fledged "rebuild" mode - like half the Pac-12 is this season). As a fan of a mid-major program (VCU), it irks me that teams would rather line up to schedule SWAC and MEAC teams (Howard University's AD gets flooded with requests for guarantee games by dozens of Power Six schools) rather than play against tough mid-major competition. Drexel, for example, had no trouble scheduling games at Louisville and at Syracuse last season, but after beating the Cardinals at the Yum, nobody wanted to schedule them. Nobody wanted to schedule William & Mary the year after they won at Maryland and at Wake Forest.

When fans of those programs complain that their teams got snubbed, they only have to look to their head coach for who to blame. Virginia Tech fits the mold every season. No matter how much Dick Vitale pretends to be sympathetic to the Hokies, they bring it on themselves with the pitiful non-conference schedules.

It's just a pet peeve of mine. The Selection Committee has said it in no uncertain terms. The one factor that teams have the most control over is their non-conference opponents. There's a difference between scheduling this year's Pittsburgh, Washington, and UCLA, and scheduling teams from the SWAC and Great West.

like half the Pac-12 is this season

Yeah, and the other half hasn't even started rebuilding yet. The Pac is pathetic this year.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Fab Melo won't be traveling with the Orange this road trip http://www.nunesmagician.com/2012/1/21/2723602/syracuse-basketball-fab-melo-mookie-jones-travel

Hopefully this doesn't become a long-term problem and he can work things out if it's an academic issue. Sure, we probably were gonna split this road trip anyway, but we really need him come the stretch in February

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I called either Notre Dame or St. John's as the team to beat Syracuse and the Orange have the Fighting Irish tonight.

No Fab Melo I think tonight is the night Syracuse falls.

I think Notre Dame will beat SU today because Notre Dame always plays Syracuse pretty well, especially on the road. However, I don't think Fab Melo is the critical piece of the team; their guards and offensive forwards are way more important. It's kind of always been that way for Boeheim teams.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Watching an entire Colorado Buffaloes basketball game for the first time since Chauncey was a member. (Yeah, they're finally good!) IIRC, Dean Smith broke the all-time wins record that game.

6uXNWAo.png

I called either Notre Dame or St. John's as the team to beat Syracuse and the Orange have the Fighting Irish tonight.

No Fab Melo I think tonight is the night Syracuse falls.

I think Notre Dame will beat SU today because Notre Dame always plays Syracuse pretty well, especially on the road. However, I don't think Fab Melo is the critical piece of the team; their guards and offensive forwards are way more important. It's kind of always been that way for Boeheim teams.

And after getting doubled-up in the first half due to poor rebounding and no interior offensive presence, I've proved that I don't know :censored: about basketball.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Notre Dame is about to make sure nobody gets to March Madness without at least one blemish. UNLV's 1991 run is safe for another year.

um murray st?

Oh, right. But let's face it, they're OVC. They'll probably show up in Dayton.

it be the first time a top5 ranked does...i say 4seed

Watching an entire Colorado Buffaloes basketball game for the first time since Chauncey was a member. (Yeah, they're finally good!)

Not "good", just "not as bad as the rest of the teams in the Pac-12".

Watching an entire Colorado Buffaloes basketball game for the first time since Chauncey was a member. (Yeah, they're finally good!)

Not "good", just "not as bad as the rest of the teams in the Pac-12".

Just barely since Arizona's absolutely terrible this year and CU only beat them by one.

I've got some friends from Arizona and they absolutely flooded my Facebook news feed after the game. They're self-destructing right now.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1687126-i_ain_t_even_mad_super.jpg

It's nearly impossible to go undefeated in college hoops, it was gonna be a tough game in the first place and losing Fab Melo last second like that didn't help things. Considering everyone else seemed to lose in the top 5, I don't see us falling out of 1-seed territory, if anything #3 at worst with Missouri maybe jumping over a lot of guys. Hopefully they can now adjust to not having Fab for Cincinnati for Monday night and go from there

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

And then... There is only one.

But, sooner or later Murray State will get tripped up (My pick is during BracketBusters Weekend).

Speaking of Murray State: I'm watching the Murray-SIUE game on ESPNU and one thing comes to mind here... SIUE has a nice little arena there. I have to think this is the first time the nation has seen anything about SIU-Edwardsville.

1687126-i_ain_t_even_mad_super.jpg

It's nearly impossible to go undefeated in college hoops, it was gonna be a tough game in the first place and losing Fab Melo last second like that didn't help things. Considering everyone else seemed to lose in the top 5, I don't see us falling out of 1-seed territory, if anything #3 at worst with Missouri maybe jumping over a lot of guys. Hopefully they can now adjust to not having Fab for Cincinnati for Monday night and go from there

Yup. It wasn't a terrible loss, and they made it close at the end even with playing terrible. 20-1 is still pretty good and it's forcing them to make adjustments for how to play without an inside presence. It could be a good thing for the Orange in the long run.

Archived