2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

First the Iowa State Cyclones football team beats #2 Oklahoma State, and now their basketball team beats #5 Kansas...both at home!

The reason the city's called Ames is because Waterloo's already taken by another Iowa city...

bYhYmxh.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First the Iowa State Cyclones football team beats #2 Oklahoma State, and now their basketball team beats #5 Kansas...both at home!

The reason the city's called Ames is because Waterloo's already taken by another Iowa city...

<_<

That was horrible.. But, it's not about Ames. It's all about Dat Hilton Magic baby!

Re: WVU-Cuse: How is that not goaltending? What a horrible missed call.

That was such a terribly reffed game. I agree that should've been a goaltend too. The refs were blowing calls for both teams all game, it was just that we got lucky that the one that dictated the outcome of the game wasn't the one called against us I guess. Hell, I was at the point where I was thinking Burr and Higgins would do a better job reffing this game.

All in all, in IT'S A CONSPIR-A-SAY PAWWWLLLLL talk, this was probably some secret vendetta against both teams for leaving the Big East :P

Oh, and I'm with DG, we need Fab back ASAP. We were getting out-rebounded so much on the defensive end it wasn't funny

Yeah it's a shame the referees decide to insert themselves into a game like this. I've noticed it a lot lately.

The positive I can take out of this game is that WVU has now played 2 of the top teams in the country down to the last second, once on a neutral court, and once on the road. And this is a team starting two true freshmen. Huggy Bear is as good of a coach as there is in Basketball today.

1zqy8ok.gif

The month of Feburary could make or break our season including games against Rutgers, rivals Uconn and WVU, and our matchup with Syracuse. Rutgers can be a dangerous team with upsets of Florida and Uconn, but they should handle them at home. Uconn is one of our most hated basketball rivals and are always a tough nut. We could win, but will have to be close. WVU is also a tough teams and played against Syracuse, a game they should've won. The result should similar to Uconn. Syracuse is easly our toughest matchup, but we had the luck of facing them at home. What many people don't know is that UofL won the last 7 meetings against them and that Syracuse has only 1 title to UofL's 2. If Fab Melo doesn't return, We could make a statment in the Big East with a huge win. Most likely, Syracuse would the losing streak against us. The only problem we will face them 2 (3, if we face them in tourament play) times including at the Carrier dome. I think we could at least win 1 of 2 games against them.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

I know it's only the CAA, but hats off to Towson on their first win of the year!

"Only the CAA" = Only the conference that has put two teams in the Final Four in the past six seasons.

In other news...

Cincinnati isn't helping its tournament chances.

Neither is Northwestern...

Or Illinois.

The Pac-12 is still awful.

That is all. Go Towson!

The month of Feburary could make or break our season including games against Rutgers, rivals Uconn and WVU, and our matchup with Syracuse. Rutgers can be a dangerous team with upsets of Florida and Uconn, but they should handle them at home. Uconn is one of our most hated basketball rivals and are always a tough nut. We could win, but will have to be close. WVU is also a tough teams and played against Syracuse, a game they should've won. The result should similar to Uconn. Syracuse is easly our toughest matchup, but we had the luck of facing them at home. What many people don't know is that UofL won the last 7 meetings against them and that Syracuse has only 1 title to UofL's 2. If Fab Melo doesn't return, We could make a statment in the Big East with a huge win. Most likely, Syracuse would the losing streak against us. The only problem we will face them 2 (3, if we face them in tourament play) times including at the Carrier dome. I think we could at least win 1 of 2 games against them.

I think quite a lot of people who follow college basketball knows we never beat Pitino no matter who we have :P

Oh, and I still have no idea what to make out of Rutgers :wacko:

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Oh, and I still have no idea what to make out of Rutgers :wacko:

Rutgers is just your perfect bubble buster team.

They basically have to almost win out their remaining schedule or get to the Big East tourney Finals to qualify for the big dance. (You just can't lose at home to DePaul and expect that to be ignored.) But when they play at their best they can beat anybody. The RAC is constantly cited as one of the best home court advantages in the country even despite how bad Rutgers usually is.

I would not want to play them if I was a team with anything to lose. They aren't good enough to be treated with the same amount of preparation you would go into a game against say Georgetown or Marquette, but if you just overlook them as you would Providence or Villanova they can beat you. Just a bad team to face all around. You gain nothing from beating them and its very likely they can beat you.

Mid-Major fans... tonight is the night. BracketBuster matchups will be announced in about a half hour.

Some predictions (courtesy of ESPN's Andy Katz):

-St. Mary's at Creighton

-Long Beach State at Murray State

-Valparaiso at VCU

-Akron at Loyola (Maryland)

-Wichita State at George Mason

-Drexel at Iona

-Nevada at Oral Roberts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the televised matchups for the event (13 in all on the weekend of Feb. 17-18):

-Northern Iowa at VCU (Friday - ESPN2)

-Valparaiso at Loyola Marymount (Friday - ESPNU)

-St. Mary's at Murray State (Saturday - ESPN or ESPN2)

-Long Beach State at Creighton (Saturday - ESPN2)

-Nevada at Iona (Saturday - ESPN or ESPN2)

-Wichita State at Davidson (Saturday - ESPN or ESPN2)

-Akron at Oral Roberts (Saturday - ESPN or ESPN2)

-Drexel at Cleveland State (Saturday - ESPNU)

-Buffalo at South Dakota State (Saturday - ESPNU)

-Drake at New Mexico State (Saturday - ESPNU)

-Old Dominion at Missouri State (Saturday - ESPNU)

-UNC Asheville at Ohio (Saturday - ESPN3)

-Texas Arlington at Weber State (Saturday - ESPN3)

I wonder. If Murray State can beat St. Mary's, might they climb to a 14 or 15 seed? They still will have not beaten any team in a Power Six conference... and I'd love to see a Kentucky-Murray State match in the opening round.

Me too...however, the Sweet 16 looks more likely (at the earliest).

bYhYmxh.png

After trailing by 1 at half, Cal beat Stanford by 10 at Haas pavilion on Sunday. last years Pac 10 FOY Allen Crabbe led the Bears with 18 points and 7 boards. They'll rematch down on the Farm for the regular season finale

Cal is calling for a gold-out for this Thursday's home game vs Arizona, that should be a good game

I wonder. If Murray State can beat St. Mary's, might they climb to a 14 or 15 seed? They still will have not beaten any team in a Power Six conference... and I'd love to see a Kentucky-Murray State match in the opening round.

I know the committee tends to ignore rankings, but if Murray State keeps this going, they will have a single-digit seed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Bracketology on ESPN (take it for what it's worth) has them as a 6 seed, currently. I think that's about right. If they run the table in the OVC and go into the Big Dance undefeated, I could maybe see them as a 5. But anywhere from a 5-7 is about right. I mean they play in the OVC for pete's sake.

Bracketology on ESPN (take it for what it's worth) has them as a 6 seed, currently. I think that's about right. If they run the table in the OVC and go into the Big Dance undefeated, I could maybe see them as a 5. But anywhere from a 5-7 is about right. I mean they play in the OVC for pete's sake.

Which is why they really should be a 16. I mean, you'd pay to see a Murray-Kentucky game to open the tourney, right? Let them face a team from one of the best six conferences. Apparently they're afraid to go out and schedule teams in the SEC, Big East, Big Ten, Big XII, ACC, or Pac-12.

LvZYtbZ.png

Illinois has to be one of the hardest teams to figure out. They play every single one of their opponents tough and came out with another win against a top ten team last night. But that had to be one of the ugliest games I've seen and that's saying a lot considering how often Illinois plays close games under 50 points. It looks like their right on track for a second (well, technically third) round loss in the tournament.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Apparently they're afraid to go out and schedule teams in the SEC, Big East, Big Ten, Big XII, ACC, or Pac-12.

Or teams from those conferences refuse to play them. That's the case with VCU. Nobody wants to play against VCU, so that's why you don't see the Rams going up against Power Six competition.

And if Murray State faces ANYONE from the Pac-12, my money is on Murray State.

Apparently they're afraid to go out and schedule teams in the SEC, Big East, Big Ten, Big XII, ACC, or Pac-12.

And if Murray State faces ANYONE from the Pac-12, my money is on Murray State.

Agreed

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

After trailing by 1 at half, Cal beat Stanford by 10 at Haas pavilion on Sunday. last years Pac 10 FOY Allen Crabbe led the Bears with 18 points and 7 boards. They'll rematch down on the Farm for the regular season finale

Cal is calling for a gold-out for this Thursday's home game vs Arizona, that should be a good game

Season saver for the Cats. It was a thrilling game; we

pulled heads out of our butts and won by 4. It was easily their best game of the year.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Which is why they really should be a 16. I mean, you'd pay to see a Murray-Kentucky game to open the tourney, right? Let them face a team from one of the best six conferences. Apparently they're afraid to go out and schedule teams in the SEC, Big East, Big Ten, Big XII, ACC, or Pac-12.

Uhhh...no.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Uhhh...no.

I dunno, I think that Kentucky would be happy to see an OVC team like Murray State as their first opponent. And it gives Murray State a chance to become relevant.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived