2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do these made-for-TV "Bracket Busters" games do for these mid-majors, anyway?

To me, it seems that these games do more harm than help for mid-majors on the bubble.

It helps break up the monotomy of conference play, for one...

It helps those who win the games. Murray State's best wins were against Memphis and Southern Miss (on a neutral court). To most people, that is not impressive. The win over St. Mary's last night helps boost the stock for a possible at-large bid for the Racers.

It gives these teams a chance to face a strong opponent towards the end of the season.

They also knock out mid-majors that are on the bubble.

Mid-majors beating up other mid-majors doesn't help their cause any. They would be much better off facing established major programs than playing similar teams. To me, these staged "Bracket Busters" games ultimately give major-conference programs more at-large berths than mid-majors.

To folks that aren't huge college basketball fans, beating St. Mary's isn't as impressive as, say, beating Louisville or losing to Duke by 5.

Mid-majors beating up other mid-majors doesn't help their cause any. They would be much better off facing established major programs than playing similar teams. To me, these staged "Bracket Busters" games ultimately give major-conference programs more at-large berths than mid-majors.

To folks that aren't huge college basketball fans, beating St. Mary's isn't as impressive as, say, beating Louisville or losing to Duke by 5.

I understand your point, man, but with some of these teams, those major programs want nothing to do with them. You can only do so much if all of them just keep saying 'no'. That's when an event like this can help a team... but, like you said, it can also harm them.

No it doesn't knock them out because most of the teams playing in BracketBusters are either a) at-large locks (Murray St Wichita St Creighton etc) b ) not in the bubble picture (Drexel Cleve St Nevada ODU Buffalo etc) or c) almost locks to win their conference tournament (Iona Davidson Long Beach St South Dakota St Akron Weber State). What BB does do is give each time a prime chance to prove their worth; Murray State was a questionable profile until their win over SMC, same with Wichita State, the world knows who Nate Wolters is, etc. While some of the matchups are less than desirable for the bubble situations, I think most of the teams that lost games didn't have an at-large shot anyway, and instead gained an opportunity to prepare against a tournament-caliber opponent and get a distraction from conference play.

Your last argument is kinda dumb because it's not like the selection committee are "not huge college basketball fans," and really, that's the main goal of BB.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

My point is that mid-major teams don't really gain much by playing each other. Certainly not as much as beating (or losing closely to) a well-known major basketball program.

An RPI Top 100 win is an RPI Top 100 win.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My point is that mid-major teams don't really gain much by playing each other. Certainly not as much as beating (or losing closely to) a well-known major basketball program.

It was a good idea at the start that became quite useless once every "mid-major" got in on the action - 142 schools this year. The whole Big South participated in the BracketBusters, and let's face it - my beloved Winthrop included, the Big South is a low-major conference.

What it really does is create a large travel budget for teams that otherwise wouldn't spend that money to travel to a far-away game.

Buffalo went to South Dakota State (1,158 mi)

Akron went to Oral Roberts (937 mi)

High Point went to Stephen F. Austin (891 mi)

Toledo went to Sam Houston State (1,205 mi)

Campbell went to Northwestern State (1,001 mi)

Nevada went to Iona (2,704 mi)

All those games have to be returned within 2 years.

Obviously the teams knew about the possibilities of a large travel cost when agreeing to participate, but is a mostly-meaningless non-conference game that's not going to matter much in the selection show (if those teams make it in the first place) really worth it?

Sometimes, but rarely.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I'm quoting Limp Bizkit for the next few days for my avatar. You're welcome, Nike Platinum Elite Uniform System :P

Oh, and Binghamton's leading with less than two minutes left. Granted, they're about to blow it, but still...

Fortunately, Binghamton pulled it off, so now there are no winless teams in D1.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Illinois basketball needs to be taken to a quiet spot in the woods and put down.

I'm excited as ever for these guys to fire Weber, hire some random nobody, and let mediocre undersized players permeate the program for the next 5-10 years.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Illinois basketball needs to be taken to a quiet spot in the woods and put down.

I'm excited as ever for these guys to fire Weber, hire some random nobody, and let mediocre undersized players permeate the program for the next 5-10 years.

I'm really curious to see who they end up hiring. Hopefully whoever it is starts getting actual big men. The tall lanky center with three guards never worked out for Weber. And if Leonard leaves (which he probably should) their center is...another tall skinny guy who has nowhere near the athletic ability of Leonard. A couple of rumors are two of the Duke assistants, one of which is from Chicago, so that might be alright. But they need to start actually getting some of the top recruits from Chicago which we haven't seen at all with Weber. Whatever they end up doing it's going to be a few years at the very least before we can get back to that second tier of programs behind Duke, Carolina, and Kansas where Illinois has been historically.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm really curious to see who they end up hiring. Hopefully whoever it is starts getting actual big men. The tall lanky center with three guards never worked out for Weber. And if Leonard leaves (which he probably should) their center is...another tall skinny guy who has nowhere near the athletic ability of Leonard. A couple of rumors are two of the Duke assistants, one of which is from Chicago, so that might be alright. But they need to start actually getting some of the top recruits from Chicago which we haven't seen at all with Weber. Whatever they end up doing it's going to be a few years at the very least before we can get back to that second tier of programs behind Duke, Carolina, and Kansas where Illinois has been historically.

That's the whole thing - I don't think Illinois knows what it wants to be going forward. If they want to actually compete they'll need to get a coach that's got drawing power and is recognizable and invest in getting Chicago to come south to play ball.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That's the whole thing - I don't think Illinois knows what it wants to be going forward. If they want to actually compete they'll need to get a coach that's got drawing power and is recognizable and invest in getting Chicago to come south to play ball.

Well, folks, the Illini might have a bit of a problem, sees as those guys are scarce to begin with and money is kind of short at the moment.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, folks, the Illini might have a bit of a problem, sees as those guys are scarce to begin with and money is kind of short at the moment.

Then what do you accomplish by firing Weber?

twitter

Then what do you accomplish by firing Weber?

In reality nothing. In boosterland, you feel some mild cathartic relief before going back to pining for Chicago players who are kind of overrated anyway.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived