2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Florida gets spanked by Kentucky. Those Wildcats are scary good.

This Florida team is more talented than the 2011 team, but they are not a better team.

The senior leadership they had with Parsons and Macklin is simply not there this year. Oh well. Not like they were going to beat a team like Kentucky anyway.

I'd be stunned if Kentucky didn't win the championship.

You must not be very familiar with how teams coached by Calipari do in the tournament.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Even so.

I'd love to see Kentucky fail, and the tourney is as unpredictable as it gets. OTOH, it's way too hard to really pick against their collection of talent.

We'll see.

I just feel like teams this young never go all the way. It takes veteran leadership to win 6 games in a row. Plus, besides playing Kansas at the Garden in November, they haven't been tested outside Rupp Arena. Indiana is the only decent team besides that and look how that went. I'm going to go with a veteran lead team like UNC, MSU, 'Cuse, or Mizzou.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Even so.

I'd love to see Kentucky fail, and the tourney is as unpredictable as it gets. OTOH, it's way too hard to really pick against their collection of talent.

We'll see.

I just feel like teams this young never go all the way. It takes veteran leadership to win 6 games in a row. Plus, besides playing Kansas at the Garden in November, they haven't been tested outside Rupp Arena. Indiana is the only decent team besides that and look how that went. I'm going to go with a veteran lead team like UNC, MSU, 'Cuse, or Mizzou.

The 3 teams that came close to win at Rupp are UNC, Vandy, and Louisville with 1,6,7 points of margin respectively. Don't underestimate Louisville in the tourney as they're experenced, talented, and battled both Kentucky and Syracuse on the road. Even though they lost to Providence by 31, however they lost most of their close games in conference play including: GTown by 3, Syracuse by 1 (1st game) and 9 (2nd Game), and ND in 2 OT. Also we were hit by the injury bug throughout the season losing many valuable players. While most teams would struggle with injuries, Louisville adapted and kept playing hard to the end.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Even so.

We'll see.

The 3 teams that came close to win at Rupp are UNC, Vandy, and Louisville with 1,6,7 points of margin respectively. Don't underestimate Louisville in the tourney as they're experenced, talented, and battled both Kentucky and Syracuse on the road. Even though they lost to Providence by 31, however they lost most of their close games in conference play including: GTown by 3, Syracuse by 1 (1st game) and 9 (2nd Game), and ND in 2 OT. Also we were hit by the injury bug throughout the season losing many valuable players. While most teams would struggle with injuries, Louisville adapted and kept playing hard to the end.

So you're saying Louisville is not clutch.

For those scoring at home BTW, the last 6 seed (which is where Louisville currently projects) to win it all was Kansas in 1988.

/Do you ever tire of being Louisville's propaganda arm?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Florida gets spanked by Kentucky. Those Wildcats are scary good.

This Florida team is more talented than the 2011 team, but they are not a better team.

The senior leadership they had with Parsons and Macklin is simply not there this year. Oh well. Not like they were going to beat a team like Kentucky anyway.

I'd be stunned if Kentucky didn't win the championship.

You must not be very familiar with how teams coached by Calipari do in the tournament.

I wouldn't be stunned if Kentucky lost. Especially in this day and age where you really don't have many college teams with what could be NBA all-stars in their starting lineup. (AKA nobody has a Senior Larry Bird or Patrick Ewing at their disposal)

But I would consider them the favorites. I don't think any team in college basketball has a real answer for Anthony Davis. The only way Kentucky is going down if is A. they don't show up or B. some team shoots the buliding out from three point range or C. a combination of the two. Your not going to beat Kentucky in the paint as long as Davis is in the lineup and healthy.

Here is the biggest item for Kentucky: The SEC coddled them during the regular season, a luxury they will not get in the NCAA Tournament.

Kentucky, LSU, and Auburn were SEC teams in conference play who did not have to play Thursday/Saturday games. This was the second year in which they did not have a Thursday/Saturday. Plus, they had four Saturday games against teams which played on Thursday, most in the conference.

They had two or more days between conference games. They did play back-to-back games once in November (Tipoff Classic on Nov. 19-20) and two games in three days just twice:

Dec. 1 & 3: Home games against St. John's and UNC

Dec. 20 & 22: Home games against Sanford and Loyola (MD)

In other words, Kentucky got a lot of rest between games.

Tonight, three bids are on the line.

Sun Belt Championship - Hot Springs, AR

#7 Western Kentucky Hilltoppers vs. #5 North Texas Eagles

Records

WKU: 14-18 (7-9)

UNT: 18-13 (9-7)

It seems that an aura of weird and wacky things is surrounding the Sun Belt tourny... It was short one team (UL Monroe failed to reach APR standards, and was banned) and then the league's top four seeds all fall within a span of 48 hours. All that remains are the seventh seeded Hilltoppers and the fifth seed Eagles

Summit League Championship - Sioux Falls, SD

#4 Western Illinois Leathernecks vs. #2 South Dakota State Jackrabbits

Records

WIU: 18-13 (9-9)

SDST: 26-7 (15-3)

The road for the Jackrabbits opened up nicely after Western Illinois stunned top seed Oral Roberts in the semifinals, preventing the Golden Eagles from getting a send off gift before they head to Southland next season. Instead, the Leathernecks from Western Illinois await South Dakota State in the final

Horizon League Championship

#3 Detroit Titans at #1 Valparaiso Crusaders

Records

DET: 21-13 (11-7)

VALPO: 22-10 (14-4)

What's this? A Horizon League final with no Butler around?? Yeah... Valpo got rid of the back-to-back National Runner Up with a convincing effort in the semifinals, dooming Butler to a fate worst then death: A bid to the College Basketball Invitational. Valpo's great season can be even greater with a home game against Detroit in the finals... Someone other then Butler is coming out of the Horizon League. That is a good thing

Archived