2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

OK... I did not see Washington crap the bed against Oregon State. Even as bad as the Pac-12 is this season, no way does the committee say 'Hey, I know you guys won the Pac-12 regular season title and all.... But, we just can't invite you to the tournament. I'm sorry.'

It's more likely they'll send this message to the likes of Drexel, Iona and Middle Tenneessee before giving it to Washington (although those three got a big time boost thanks to Minnesota, of all teams...)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK... I did not see Washington crap the bed against Oregon State. Even as bad as the Pac-12 is this season, no way does the committee say 'Hey, I know you guys won the Pac-12 regular season title and all.... But, we just can't invite you to the tournament. I'm sorry.'

It's more likely they'll send this message to the likes of Drexel, Iona and Middle Tenneessee before giving it to Washington (although those three got a big time boost thanks to Minnesota, of all teams...)

As of now Washington is the first of the last four in which means they will probably make it regardless, but they are far from a lock.

To lose your last game to a team that's not even going to make it to the NIT looks bad and it wouldn't surprise me if come Friday or Saturday they slip from being in the last four in for no apparent reason which I've seen happen before. People forget as smart as Lunardi is with predicting this, he also talks to at least 1/3 of the selection committee, so he has a really good idea with what people are thinking.

BTW Notre Dame counting their tradition of looking like the team most likely to get bounced in the first round that can also make the Final Four.

In addition, the Huskies best nonconference win was against UC Santa Barbara. They didn't beat Cal and won by 16 one game with Oregon, but got shelled in the other game with them. So were looking at the PAC 12 champs whose best wins were Oregon and a sweep of Arizona. Still though, I just can't see how they leave out the PAC 12 champs no matter how questionable their resume is.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

South Florida is so friggen awful.

They are not a tournament team. I'm sorry. This is unwatchable basketball they play on a nightly basis.

Notre Dame and South Florida are too teams that really like to slow it down so the low score shouldn't have come as much of a surprise.

South Florida definately plays garbage ball which can be a tough watch for alot of people. They don't pass well, they slow the game down, which is another way of saying they play the entire game out of the halfcourt. And they have a very good interior defense, so the other team is basically just looking for an open shot on the perimeter.

I don't think they will do much in the tourney, but I do think they will get in. That win over Villanova and the fact that they were able to hang with Notre Dame I think locked them in.

In addition, the Huskies best nonconference win was against UC Santa Barbara. They didn't beat Cal and won by 16 one game with Oregon, but got shelled in the other game with them. So were looking at the PAC 12 champs whose best wins were Oregon and a sweep of Arizona. Still though, I just can't see how they leave out the PAC 12 champs no matter how questionable their resume is.

I can. The entire conference is atrocious this year and Washington hasn't beaten a single team in the field of 68.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Georgia keeps the state's slim chances of having a school in the NCAA Tournament alive with a win over Mississippi State.

The state seems to have so many good basketball players (judging by the rosters of both NBA teams and major conference college teams)....how the hell are Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Georgia State (among others) not able to keep this talent in-state and be annual participants in the Big Dance?

Georgia keeps the state's slim chances of having a school in the NCAA Tournament alive with a win over Mississippi State.

The state seems to have so many good basketball players (judging by the rosters of both NBA teams and major conference college teams)....how the hell are Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Georgia State (among others) not able to keep this talent in-state and be annual participants in the Big Dance?

Georgia State I've looked at as being a pretty good mid-major team historically. They went 21-11 this year after a few down years, but they've rarely been terrible. They had that good run at the start of the decade.

Georgia I just look at as being incompetent when it comes to their basketball program. For their location and conference they should be much better.

I don't know what the deal is with Georgia Tech in recent years. They were a tremendous program under Bobby Cremins and I think they saw Paul Hewitt as being a great sucessor especially after he got off to such a good start, but they stuck with him for way too long.

We'll see how they do under Brian Gregory. I thought he did a very good job at Dayton. He took a dead program and turned them into a very respectable team.

Oregon would be the best bet if Cal loses. They just have to beat Colorado. I really do believe if they beat Colorado, they are in.

Bye Bye Ducks! Colorado survives and gets a date with Cal tomorrow. Considering they looked terrible yesterday against Utah, very nice win for the Buffs.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

If doing the best with keeping talent within your state was key, then Norm Stewart would have gotten to a Final Four and Lou Henson would have been to more than one coaching a major school.

As for Georgia, Hugh Durham did damn well, but they decided to make a chance. They are a football school and are like Clemson. There is local talent, but hoops does not matter regardless if it is the SEC or ACC.

If doing the best with keeping talent within your state was key, then Norm Stewart would have gotten to a Final Four and Lou Henson would have been to more than one coaching a major school.

As for Georgia, Hugh Durham did damn well, but they decided to make a chance. They are a football school and are like Clemson. There is local talent, but hoops does not matter regardless if it is the SEC or ACC.

Ohio State, Florida, and Notre Dame are also football schools....yet these schools annually make the NCAA Tournament. I would think that the state of Georgia is as strong in basketball talent as Florida, yet UF is clearly head and shoulders above UGA in basketball success.

I know the best players will go to the biggest, most-established basketball schools. But you'd think at least one Georgia school could keep a lot of the 3- and 4-star (maybe even a 5-star) players in-state and be a fixture in the mid-to-upper-tier of the conference standings, and even challenge the heavyweights every so often....but that's not happening.

Bruce Weber done at Illinois. Seems like yesterday he was in the final four...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Oregon would be the best bet if Cal loses. They just have to beat Colorado. I really do believe if they beat Colorado, they are in.

Bye Bye Ducks! Colorado survives and gets a date with Cal tomorrow. Considering they looked terrible yesterday against Utah, very nice win for the Buffs.

Way to cool off the hottest team in the Pac-12! Now if the Golden Buffaloes can eliminate Cal later tonight, the Pac-12 will be a lock to have three teams in the tournament (with Washington and Cal getting in regardless of the conference tourney).

Huge loss for the Ducks. Ehh I dunno, but from the sounds of it, Oregon most likely NIT bound.

6uXNWAo.png

Way to cool off the hottest team in the Pac-12! Now if the Golden Buffaloes can eliminate Cal later tonight, the Pac-12 will be a lock to have three teams in the tournament (with Washington and Cal getting in regardless of the conference tourney).

Huge loss for the Ducks. Ehh I dunno, but from the sounds of it, Oregon most likely NIT bound.

I think we still have a chance at getting in, but I'm not holding my breath. Last year it was CBI, this year NIT. I hope next year it's NCAA!

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

To me, it always felt like Weber overachieved during his time in Champaign. Yes, he did take the Ilini to a National Title Game, but did so using many of Bill Self's players. If not for that one postseason, Weber would've been gone five years ago.

6uXNWAo.png

Finally. He took a top 15 program that was a lock for the tournament every year and made them a consistent bubble team. And this year was just embarrassing. It might not get better right away, but it will soon enough.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Finally. He took a top 15 program that was a lock for the tournament every year and made them a consistent bubble team. And this year was just embarrassing. It might not get better right away, but it will soon enough.

Well, despite what Weber was able to do with it, we do have a good amount of talent on the team. There is no reason the next coach can't have them finish in the top 25 next year. It's not like the cupboard is completely bare.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, despite what Weber was able to do with it, we do have a good amount of talent on the team. There is no reason the next coach can't have them finish in the top 25 next year. It's not like the cupboard is completely bare.

That's highly dependent on whether Meyers Leonard comes back next year but is completely true. If he stays, it will be pretty much the same team next year with all the young players having another year under their belt. And as bad as they were the last 15 or so games of the season, it's a team that beat two top-10 teams, came within a minute of beating Mizzou, and had a few other wins against tournament teams in non-conference play. So the talent is defnitely there, hopefully whoever the new coach is brings in a new attitude and does something with that talent.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The Illini will be fine. Bruce had the program meddling, but he leaves it in pretty good shape for the next coach. This won't be a full-on rebuild. Team should contend for the tournament next year (probably should make it if Meyers stays), and really ought to be back to the top half of the Big Ten within a couple of years.

That's assuming the new coach does a good job.

I will say I'm sad for Bruce Weber. His time has come, but I know first hand that he's a really, really great individual. It was tough watching his farewell speech. He'll be just fine. He's earned and is getting plenty of money out of this, and he'll land another job. Still, it's tough to see a good person fail at something they care so much about.

I can think of plenty of reasons. Two of them are Brandon Paul and D.J. Richardson

----------------------------------------------------

The more interesting thing with this firing is that new Illinois AD has officially put himself on a 4 year clock. "His" coaches are now going to be running football and both basketball teams. So if things don't turn around (and Illinois' President and Faculty end their little brouhaha), Mike Thomas is sooo fired too. Granted I'm betting the donors are pretty much tapped at the moment now, so that could be a short-to-medium term problem.

-----------------------------------------------------

With regards to the new coach needing to "recruit better", I'm just going to toss this out there. There are 13 Division I basketball schools in the state of Illinois. A grand total of 2 teams in the last five years (Illinois '09, '11) have gone dancing*. Maybe instate talent isn't all its cracked up to be.

*-Assumes Northwestern's bubble did burst last night.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived