Time Heals All Wounds

piratesfan16

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Rangers started wearing this combo, I declared them the ugliest thing in baseball history (or something equally hyperbolic):

mlb_a_cruz_gb1_600.jpg

The red cap clearly was not made to go with the blue script.

Yet somehow seeing them in action in the playoffs, they've grown on me.

Absolutely love the Bills uniforms now, but my :censored:ing god they need blue pants.

They sure do. Too much white.

When I play madden I always change the pants to blue.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

raffitorresvancouvercan.jpg

I didn't think much of these uniforms when they were first unveiled but after seeing them in action all the way through June I've changed my mind. This is a spectacular and unique jersey and I hope it sticks around... wordmark and all.

I remember absolutely hating this when it first came out.

qiru2jftx1a378eq8ad0s4ik4.gif

90758391980.gif

matthew_stafford_lions_browns.jpg

Hated everything about the Lions' new look when it was first unveiled, but it has really grown on me and I really like the whole set now.

When these came out I was like "bleh" but now I like them, and no I am not jumping on the Billswagon.

125592601_crop_650x440.jpg?1316818415

Winning makes a team look good. When these teams came out with their new looks they were garbage (maybe Vancouver wasn't garbage per say but they weren't kicking ass to the extent they are now) so I feel like you are less likely to take anything the dysfunctional franchise does seriously. Now that these teams are legit you come to respect their entire organization more, including the uniforms. That's my 2 cents, and I do it as well.

90758391980.gif

adrian-peterson.jpg

Nope.....it's 2011 and I still hate them.

Only thing that bothers me is the inconsistent striping running from the jersey to pants. The piping is yellow so that works, but how it goes from purple-white-purple looks really strange. For any other team I'd say the shoulder striping would look bad, but it really relates to the viking horn better than the Culpepper stripes.

adrian-peterson.jpg

Nope.....it's 2011 and I still hate them.

Only thing that bothers me is the inconsistent striping running from the jersey to pants. The piping is yellow so that works, but how it goes from purple-white-purple looks really strange. For any other team I'd say the shoulder striping would look bad, but it really relates to the viking horn better than the Culpepper stripes.

The white jerseys were designed to go with the purple pants.

away1.png

The Rams used to have ram horns on the sleeves, and the Eagles have wings on their helmets and eagle heads on their sleeves. Also, real viking helmets didn't have horns.

ist2_8578267-cartoon-viking.jpg

You're missing the point. The helmet has ALWAYS resembled the cartoonish/token view of a vikings (kinda like an American Indian with a feather in his head). Adding even more horns to the legs makes zero sense. It was dumb on the Rams too, but now that is considered iconic because throwbacks are "cool".

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

The Rams used to have ram horns on the sleeves, and the Eagles have wings on their helmets and eagle heads on their sleeves. Also, real viking helmets didn't have horns.

ist2_8578267-cartoon-viking.jpg

You're missing the point. The helmet has ALWAYS resembled the cartoonish/token view of a vikings (kinda like an American Indian with a feather in his head). Adding even more horns to the legs makes zero sense. It was dumb on the Rams too, but now that is considered iconic because throwbacks are "cool".

I brought up the Rams' throwbacks and the current Eagles to show that this type of craziness has precedent.

As for the Vikings? A cartoon viking =/= a real viking. I mostly just added the fact that real vikings didn't wear horns as a throw away because it's not like the previous look was this uber-realistic take on viking garb.

matthew_stafford_lions_browns.jpg

Hated everything about the Lions' new look when it was first unveiled, but it has really grown on me and I really like the whole set now.

When these came out I was like "bleh" but now I like them, and no I am not jumping on the Billswagon.

125592601_crop_650x440.jpg?1316818415

Winning makes a team look good. When these teams came out with their new looks they were garbage (maybe Vancouver wasn't garbage per say but they weren't kicking ass to the extent they are now) so I feel like you are less likely to take anything the dysfunctional franchise does seriously. Now that these teams are legit you come to respect their entire organization more, including the uniforms. That's my 2 cents, and I do it as well.

Not necessarily. The Patriots have won quite a bit, and I think their uniforms are among the worst in the NFL.

spacer.png

When the Rangers started wearing this combo, I declared them the ugliest thing in baseball history (or something equally hyperbolic):

mlb_a_cruz_gb1_600.jpg

The red cap clearly was not made to go with the blue script.

Yet somehow seeing them in action in the playoffs, they've grown on me.

This struck me as odd when I first saw it as well (last year?), but it works for the Rangers, who seem to be embracing a red at home, blue on the road look. One problem with the Rangers in all red -- and I liked that '90s set -- is that it now looks too much like the Angels. Using a Texas script actually helps this (the only good thing about it) and keeping it blue helps even more. Although our tendency is to want a team to pick one or the other, it makes sense if the Rangers stay equal parts royal blue and red. Plenty of red-dominant teams go navy on the road. By not picking a color (but assuming they establish a home/road dynamic officially next year) they are coming up with a unique identity. None of the other royal blue and red teams use the two colors that way (Dodgers, Cubs and maybe Blue Jays next year), they are generally "blue" teams.

So that look above looks wrong at first, but really isn't that bad. (On a side note, I'm glad the Indians and Twins brought back navy lettering with red outlines; these teams tend to get into the habits of using similar color schemes in the same way.) I like it when non-traditional teams like the Rangers mix it up.

I absolutely hated the Rangers "Lady Liberty" jersey when it came out. It grew on me to the point that it ended up being my favorite look for the Rangers. I really liked the white one too.

ept_sports_nhl_experts-874744486-1284696074.jpg?ymKwHyDDmwM7n.Ao3p13o53l85V25Z25P5b9b7a7cd756211a1473.jpg

If the Rangers were not an Original Six team, they could have pulled off this look full time.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

xz4ptfjvkf9zi12blsik.gif

I gotta say the whole Milwaukee Admirals identity from 2006-present...when I first saw them announced, I thought "April Fool's Day was four months ago!" (it was August 1)

Now I've grown to appreciate it...truly stands out, adds an edge to the look...I ESPECIALLY love the full-body one!

pgm7wst0bu83ckpkz3nefb4vf.gif

bYhYmxh.png

Archived