Uniform trends that oughta go

johnnysama

Baseball:

• Wearing Alts more than primaries.
  • Weakly uniforms that don't match the identities (Brewers, Padres, Twins)
  • Helmets not matching the hats worn that day
  • (likely emerging trend) white panel hats

Football:

• Gray facemasks on teams with no gray/silver in their schemes
  • (college) Multiple helmets
  • (college) Uniforms not matching school colors
  • Overly-detailed helmet logos and logos/wordmarks sharing helmet space
  • Throwbacks that don't even resemble the current identity (Jets, Packers)...maybe once every 5 or 10 years, but not every year.

Basketball:

• (College) changing uniforms almost every year

Hockey:

• Lace-up collars
  • Numbers on the front

Overall:

• Just add black / black alt
  • Keeping the secondary color to the side (e.g., 49ers not using gold outlines at all on their jerseys, Canucks (and old T-Wolves) using green on the trim, but no on the logo/wordmark and numbers

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grey facemasks ARE stupid. I can understand if you're like the Dallas Cowboys or Wazzu, where grey is a part of your identity (and quite frankly, the Detroit Lions need to go back to the grey facemask)...but the Browns, Giants, Colts, 49ers, and ESPECIALLY the Cardinals need to stop. They all would look better with some sort of colored facemask. Giants & Browns should be in white, Colts should either have a white or blue one, the 49ers should have a red one, and the Cardinals could do with a white or red one. The Cardinals' case irks me so much, because they went SO modern with their entire set (from the logos, wordmarks, and uniforms), yet they decided "Oh, let's keep the grey facemask." Ugh.

BFBS doesn't bother me anymore because most teams have finally gotten smart and are starting to eliminate black in cases where they don't really need it. Emphasis on most.

Biggest trend in baseball are the helmets not matching the on-field hats. Watching the Indians wear those red hats on the field then watching them bat with the navy Chief Wahoo helmets irks me to no end.

1322844725' post='1696797']
1322842018' post='1696757']
1322839949' post='1696736']

-NFL players who don't wear pads in their pants. Maybe they like pain and injuries to their legs? Plus, it makes some players look like they are wearing shorts. Its just a soft look and hurts the overall uniform. One of these days, the NFL will mandate padding.

Are there stats on the number of injuries that would have been prevented had the player been wearing pants pads? Just curious because you don't see too many players getting carted off with thigh bruises or knee-cap bruises. When I was in high school, we often wondered just how valuable those pads really were.

Well mandated knee pads might cut down on head injuries. Think about it. Would you rather get kneed in the head with someone's bent knee, or would that hurt less if they had a softer cushion on their knee?

How many times have we seen a guy get a concussion from a knee to the head? Quite a bit. Knee pads would lessen the blow.

I don't know how much that really happens. If someone's knee hit a helmet hard enough to cause a concussion, I'd expect them to have a pretty bruised up knee cap. I think the pad wouldn't help much, and could make it worse because the player may have a little less fear knowing that the blow wouldn't hurt their knee.

1322845741' post='1696814']
1322845514' post='1696808']

I don't see why you wouldn't wear knee or thigh pads, especially at the pro level. I don't think they're cumbersome at all and I'd play harder knowing I had that tiny bit of protection. But then again I'm not a pro athlete.

Forget getting a helmet to the knee, I would wear knee pads just to give a little extra protection from falling to the ground. I mean, I have played tackle football in extremely cold weather when the ground was rock hard, and it's not fun falling into a knee.

I'd think that too, yet these pros who can have any pad they want choose not to wear them. With all of the millions at stake, I can't imagine they'd forego protection dor fashion, if it was really a big deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was gonna say shiny NBA unis, but thankfully those are gone.

Overcomplicated, ugly NBA jerseys need to go. I'm looking at you, Minnesota T'Wolves, GS Warriors, and Washington Wizards.

Retro-for-the-sake-of-retro needs to stop. My two favorite teams in all sports (Washington Wizards and Baltimore O's) recently made terrible decisions to go retro. It's a trend that some teams can (and should) pull off (like the Blue Jays and Utah Jazz) but it seems like too many teams are jumping on that bandwagon.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Gray facemasks (49ers, Browns, Colts, USC)

Lace Up collars (Rangers, Bruins)

Too Retro (Flyers)

No NFL sleeves (somewhat of a sleeve doesn't hurt The Steelers look like they have yellow sleeved jerseys)

Black or Silver for the fun of it (Syracuse basketball)

Alts that look identical or close to the current (NY Rangers R a n g e r s and N e w Y o r k)

"Traditional" uniforms just because (Notre Dame)

No logos on football helmets (Penn St, Boston College, Steelers, Browns)

NFL C for captains.

Pink in the NFL for a whole month (1/4 of the season)

This isn't too sound un-patriotic here, but does every NCAA team need a camo/warrior uniform?

KISSwall09.jpg

Retro-for-the-sake-of-retro needs to stop. My two favorite teams in all sports (Washington Wizards and Baltimore O's) recently made terrible decisions to go retro. It's a trend that some teams can (and should) pull off (like the Blue Jays and Utah Jazz) but it seems like too many teams are jumping on that bandwagon.

I don't understand the calls against reviving old looks. In a lot of cases, it's not "retro for retro's sake", it's simply going back to a team's tried and true look. The Blue Jays didn't look right in black, charcoal, and blue. They simply returned to their best look they've had. The Orioles look has been pretty split between the cartoon bird and the standing bird. I think it's great for them to try to break apart from the usual looks and return to their old identity, which now looks quite unique when set against the other looks throughout the league.

This is seen in football too. The Giants and Jets both returned to old looks, and in my opinion, look the way they should. Ditto for the 49ers. The removal of black makes them great again.

To me, at least, it's not so much "retro for retro's sake" (what does that even mean? haha) as it is going to the best look.

I agree on vintage white, new teams trying so hard to be retro *coughcoughLightningcough*, logos in circles for no reason, numbers on the front of jerseys, BFBS, and fauxbacks (mostly NHL). However, no one yet has mentioned those ridiculous basketball scripts on hockey jerseys. Just horrid-looking.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Football:

? BFBS and even worse GFGS (gray-for-gray's-sake e.g., Oregon and Oklahoma State)

? lack of sleeves

? gray facemask

? Nike coloring uniforms to highlight the "technology" of their uniforms (ex: LSU purple armpits)

? stripes on undershirts (looks good on models but bad in-action because most guys don't wear them)

? equal signs replacing what was once known as UCLA stripes

Basketball:

? GFGS

? ass wordmarks

? changing uniforms too often

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Baseball pajamas need go. Why can't everyone wear the same pants on the field. Looks sloppy. Go back to traditional pants with stirrups for everyone, please!

Stirrups need to make a comeback! I love how Barry Zito wears his, I hate seeing the baggy baseball pants, so sloppy looking!

DLWatt.png

Not much bothers me, and I like some of the things some of you want to do away with--especially lace up collars on hockey jerseys--I love them.

But to get rid of?

I definitely agree with the sleeveless look in football--I don't like looking at pits.

But more importantly--get rid of piping--especially piping that goes nowhere.

But any contrasting piping is ugly, and distracts me from the rest of the uniform.

There are other things I'm not a fan of, but I can put up with them-those two are the ones that should go.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Gray facemasks - they're dull and clash with most color schemes.

Retro for retro's sake - too many teams are switching to super-boring "retro" designs with no creativity. When '90s expansion teams are dressing up like the Original Six, you know this trend is becoming a problem.

Vintage white - it looks like someone spilled coffee on all the hockey sweaters and nobody washed them.

Gray facemasks definitely need to go along with team reverting back to old designs aka Buffalo Bills.

spacer.png

Archived