The way things SHOULD be

Chawls

We talk about it all the time. How uniforms should look. How games should be officiated. Where teams should be playing. So I wanted to start a thread dedicated to just that. What things, despite how they are now, should be different, and if you can, please explain why. For example (not my personal opinions):

- The Colts should be in Baltimore.

- The Hornets should be in Charlotte.

- The Indians should play at the Jake.

- The Mets should play at Shea Stadium.

- The Whalers should be in Hartford.

- UCLA stripes should not look like equal signs.

The following are my personal opinions:

- The Jazz should be in New Orleans. SLC has been very supportive of the Jazz and I respect that, but if you absolutely have to relocate a team, change the name and colors. Most team names are such because they are significant to the city in which they are designated. Relocating a franchise whilst keeping the name greatly decreases the significance of the team name.

- Teams should only wear grey facemasks when grey is a primary color in their set because IMHO, facemasks aren't merely equipment as chinstraps and shoes are. We have the technology to color facemasks. When we learned to make helmet colors other than brown, we changed them. When we learned to color pants other than tan, we changed them. Both are now customized to fit teams' color schemes. Why not facemasks?

- The NFL should allow defenses to play...well...defense! I understand that offenses put asses in seats. I understand that offensive players are at greater risks for concussions. But at times, the way penalties called on defensive backs is similar to the way teams in basketball call a sheetload of timeouts in the last 3 minutes or so of a game.

- If any team should wear white shoes, it's the NY Jets. Why don't they? Don't the Colts wear black shoes because Manning wanted to honor Johnny Unitas? So shouldn't the Jets honor their most famous Super Bowl champion, Joe Willie the same way? He's actually changed the aesthetics of the game when he did that, and from what I've heard, it caused quite a controversy at the time. There was no reason to go back to black shoes. Black is not one of your colors. White is.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

-Stadiums and Arenas should be named after the team, the owner, a former player, or the city. They shouldn't be named after sponsors.

-Bowl games shouldn't be named after companies. It is, I guess, okay, that they have a sponsor in the name, but they shouldn't be named after the sponsors. Like "the Rose Bowl presented by Sony", is fine (but it would be better without sponsor), but there shouldn't be a "Capital One Bowl".

-The original Jets should have never left Winnipeg, and there should be a team in Quebec City, Seattle, and Milwaukee.

-The Cotton Bowl should be played at the Cotton Bowl. (with the stadium getting a renovation)

- The Jazz should be in New Orleans. SLC has been very supportive of the Jazz and I respect that, but if you absolutely have to relocate a team, change the name and colors. Most team names are such because they are significant to the city in which they are designated. Relocating a franchise whilst keeping the name greatly decreases the significance of the team name.

- Teams should only wear grey facemasks when grey is a primary color in their set because IMHO, facemasks aren't merely equipment as chinstraps and shoes are. We have the technology to color facemasks. When we learned to make helmet colors other than brown, we changed them. When we learned to color pants other than tan, we changed them. Both are now customized to fit teams' color schemes. Why not facemasks?

I agree on the Colts, Whalers, and Hornets. I also agree on the gray facemasks. I'll discuss the Hornets/Jazz thing later. Some other general opinions I'll also add:

--The Rams should never have left Los Angeles.

--The Sonics should not have left Seattle until after their lease was up.

--Cleveland Browns, Ver. 1.0, should still be playing in Cleveland.

--The Phoenix Coyotes should have returned to Winnipeg.

Some of my own:

--The Hornets should have stayed in Oklahoma City. Given that New Orleans still isn't what it used to be before Hurricane Katrina (from what I recall), as are the Hornets (being owned by the league), the franchise should have stayed in Oklahoma City permanently. While I'm no fan of the same team moving twice within 10 years, it may have been in the best interests of the league. They could have let the Hornets franchise go to OKC and stay, retain goodwill/do the humanitarian work in New Orleans as soon as they could (including hosting the All-Star Game), then do what they could to bring a struggling team back into New Orleans after a few years when a proper ownership group was ready to keep the team there long-term.

At least that sounds more ideal than trying to stick things out in New Orleans and then, when no one else comes forward to buy the team and keep it there, the NBA pulls a Phoenix Coyotes-esque situation and then some. I believe that some other market will lose its team because the NBA is too busy trying to save the New Orleans Hornets. Of course, all this effort in a league-owned Hornets franchise may be in vain.

There should be some kind of timetable whenever a league buying a team to find a local buyer; somewhere in the range of 1-2 years. If no one can be found, the team then goes to the highest bidder, damn the consequences.

In response to Chawls' New Orleans Jazz response:

I'm not going to spend much time on this, as it's been beaten to death and I've stated my view on the matter time and time again. The Jazz, upon moving to Utah, should have changed their name (as the Lakers and Hornets should have), but apparently didn't even have the money to do so when they did. The franchise has had a storied and winning (albeit title-less) history and loyal fanbase in Utah, and I wouldn't wish to remove any city's/state's history over team names.

I have a couple of things to add, not really related to what I've mentioned so far.

I agree on the Colts, Whalers, and Hornets. I also agree on the gray facemasks. I'll discuss the Hornets/Jazz thing later. Some other general opinions I'll also add:

--The Rams should never have left Los Angeles Cleveland, or the Cardinals Chicago.

--The Sonics should not have left Seattle until after their lease was up.

--Cleveland Browns, Ver. 1.0, should still be playing in Cleveland.

--The Phoenix Coyotes should have returned to Winnipeg.

FYP, and agree with most of this, especially the Jazz. Saw a few games back in the day and while the Superdome wasn't ideal for basketball (or baseball or concerts or...never mind, you get the idea), it was fun. "Pistolllllllllll PETE!"

The team keeping the name and colors after the move is one of the most baffling sports decisions ever.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

People SHOULD stop living in the past.

Am I doing it wrong? :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

i agree with all of your decisions. they make sense

heres one of my own: Each League Should have 32 teams!that way it is a even chance of making the playoffs. also the whole divisions thing should be banned. they should stick with just conferences. it gives teams a fair chance of making the playoffs. also 16 teams should make the playoffs.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

• The North Stars should have stayed in Minnesota and should not have adopted the "Stars" logo
  • Teams should build primarily from the draft and trades that are more than just "to at least get something".
  • College basketball should not have conference tournaments. Similarly, there should not be football conference championship games.
  • Bowl games should have traditional names, not rotating sponsor names.
  • Public entities should not pay for arenas/stadiums.
  • There should be no DH.
  • "Franchise certificates" and history should not be re-written to claim that the current Browns have been around for decades while the Ravens were an expansion team in the 90s.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

- The Pistons SHOULD still be in Fort Wayne.

- The Kings SHOULD still be in Cincinnati.

- The A's SHOULD still be in Philadelphia.

- Bobby Ewing SHOULD still be dead.

- The national capital SHOULD still be in New York.

- Europe and Asia SHOULD still be a part of the Roman Empire.

- All the continents SHOULD still be one giant land mass.

- Dinosaurs SHOULD still roam the Earth.

- Everything SHOULD still be one single-cell organism.

- Joy Behar SHOULD NOT still have her own show... Oh wait.

Finally, one of these became a reality.

I'm half expecting the next legit post in this thread to say something like

"negros should still have their OWN league!"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

i agree with all of your decisions. they make sense

heres one of my own: Each League Should have 32 teams!that way it is a even chance of making the playoffs. also the whole divisions thing should be banned. they should stick with just conferences. it gives teams a fair chance of making the playoffs. also 16 teams should make the playoffs.

Yes, because what the NHL and NBA need is more teams!

spacer.png

I'm half expecting the next legit post in this thread to say something like

"negros should still have their OWN league!"

Well if they did, then stiffs like Sean Bradley and Jon Koncak would have no place to play. :P

People SHOULD stop living in the past.

Am I doing it wrong? :P

Seriously. The first post with the Colts still being in Baltimore reminded me of my dad's yearly NFL rant.

Each League should have 32 teams!

The NHL can't even handle the 30 teams they have!

Archived