Jaguars thinking about changing uni

TSHARE18

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old Jags uniforms were a better application of the colors, better balance of colors, used a number font that was more befitting of their nickname, more defining with the sleeve logos, and used strong STRIPING (not piping, there's a difference) that served as a showcase for their colors rather than pencil thing piping. The new uniforms and number font could be filled in with any team's colors in the league and it'd be about as successful a look. Their current look is just more generic modern fill and play.

I could go either way on the teal flake helmets, but the old high gloss black Jaguars helmets with the massive jaguar head logo were really sharp looking. I kinda miss those. Does anyone know if they reduced the size of the helmet logo.

As for the Bengals, where do I begin? For one, they used a strong number font that was representative of an actual NFL team rather than a dopey trend-hopping drop shadow font that is difficult to read from a distance. Orange tiger stripes on a black background on the orange and white jerseys, which is incorrect anatomically. The pants stripe used to feature fluid, more tiger-like stripes. The new pants stripe is not only that wimpy broncos-esques swoosh, but it also houses the tiny triangle shaped "stripes". The white side panels just look bad and would make the whole jersey so much better if they were the same color as the rest of the body.

Overall, they were just classier and more befitting of an NFL team. It's a tired diatribe used around here to describe silly looking footballs uniforms, but the current Bengals uniforms would be right at home in arena football. For a National Football League team heading to the playoffs, they look like dopes.

It's a travesty they filled those great looking uniforms from the late 90's with such horrible football teams.

their helmets are fantastic though. I hope they never change.

How was the previous font more benefiting of their nickname, than the current one?

The new uniforms and number font could be filled in with any team's colors in the league and it'd be about as successful a look. Their current look is just more generic modern fill and play.

Generic easily describes what their previous look was, sans the logo on the sleeves.

Let's take a look

3647989547_58ea8ff8ca_o.jpg

The previous number font was BEFITTING of their nickname because it was sleek, slender, gave the impression of movement, and possessed tails (or serifs). All cat-like features. The current number font is just an ugly variation on a bad block font. It's fat, chunky, it just sits there with no implied movement, and it's so angular. Cats' bodies aren't angular, they're smooth and fluid (like the previous number font). The current typeface would be the perfect font for the Florida Gators, but not a team named after Cats. Their old number font is what the Detroit Lions current number font wishes it was.

To address your next contention, the current uniforms were designed to be modern with little to no thought or purpose placed on the uniform design. It's modern for the sake of modern, so to speak. That's why I say they're generic. It's a paint by numbers modern template that only they happen to use, but dozens of college football teams use similar enough looking templates right now that these don't stand out as unique or one of a kind and in the NFL there's no excuse for every team to not be one of a kind in the way they dress.

The old ones weren't generic in the way they showcased the stripes on the pants. That striping scheme was rare when it debuted and it's even rarer today. If they'd hung onto to it as more and more teams move away from traditional striping styles, they could've owned it forever. Also, the aforementioned beautiful number font was so unique it was instantly recognizable as their own.

If you took the logos off both eras of Jaguar uniforms and filled the colors in with, oh let's say Patriots colors, then you'd be able to recognize elements of the Jaguars old uniforms (such as the pants stripe, the double cuff stripes, and the number), but the current uniforms would look like basic practice jerseys with some random piping in the armpits and an ugly number font. Nothing about the current uniform "belongs" to the Jaguars, instead it belongs to this era of football uniform design and they'll be tossed aside and forgotten about when the next fad comes along.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I kind of wish they would just combine these two looks. I like the modern style of the new jersey but wish they would bring back this old number font and and add some gold to the jersey. That would be a good look IMO.

The old Jags uniforms were a better application of the colors, better balance of colors, used a number font that was more befitting of their nickname, more defining with the sleeve logos, and used strong STRIPING (not piping, there's a difference) that served as a showcase for their colors rather than pencil thing piping. The new uniforms and number font could be filled in with any team's colors in the league and it'd be about as successful a look. Their current look is just more generic modern fill and play.

I could go either way on the teal flake helmets, but the old high gloss black Jaguars helmets with the massive jaguar head logo were really sharp looking. I kinda miss those. Does anyone know if they reduced the size of the helmet logo.

As for the Bengals, where do I begin? For one, they used a strong number font that was representative of an actual NFL team rather than a dopey trend-hopping drop shadow font that is difficult to read from a distance. Orange tiger stripes on a black background on the orange and white jerseys, which is incorrect anatomically. The pants stripe used to feature fluid, more tiger-like stripes. The new pants stripe is not only that wimpy broncos-esques swoosh, but it also houses the tiny triangle shaped "stripes". The white side panels just look bad and would make the whole jersey so much better if they were the same color as the rest of the body.

Overall, they were just classier and more befitting of an NFL team. It's a tired diatribe used around here to describe silly looking footballs uniforms, but the current Bengals uniforms would be right at home in arena football. For a National Football League team heading to the playoffs, they look like dopes.

It's a travesty they filled those great looking uniforms from the late 90's with such horrible football teams.

their helmets are fantastic though. I hope they never change.

How was the previous font more benefiting of their nickname, than the current one?

The new uniforms and number font could be filled in with any team's colors in the league and it'd be about as successful a look. Their current look is just more generic modern fill and play.

Generic easily describes what their previous look was, sans the logo on the sleeves.

Let's take a look

The previous number font was BEFITTING of their nickname because it was sleek, slender, gave the impression of movement, and possessed tails (or serifs). All cat-like features. The current number font is just an ugly variation on a bad block font. It's fat, chunky, it just sits there with no implied movement, and it's so angular. Cats' bodies aren't angular, they're smooth and fluid (like the previous number font). The current typeface would be the perfect font for the Florida Gators, but not a team named after Cats. Their old number font is what the Detroit Lions current number font wishes it was.

To address your next contention, the current uniforms were designed to be modern with little to no thought or purpose placed on the uniform design. It's modern for the sake of modern, so to speak. That's why I say they're generic. It's a paint by numbers modern template that only they happen to use, but dozens of college football teams use similar enough looking templates right now that these don't stand out as unique or one of a kind and in the NFL there's no excuse for every team to not be one of a kind in the way they dress.

The old ones weren't generic in the way they showcased the stripes on the pants. That striping scheme was rare when it debuted and it's even rarer today. If they'd hung onto to it as more and more teams move away from traditional striping styles, they could've owned it forever. Also, the aforementioned beautiful number font was so unique it was instantly recognizable as their own.

If you took the logos off both eras of Jaguar uniforms and filled the colors in with, oh let's say Patriots colors, then you'd be able to recognize elements of the Jaguars old uniforms (such as the pants stripe, the double cuff stripes, and the number), but the current uniforms would look like basic practice jerseys with some random piping in the armpits and an ugly number font. Nothing about the current uniform "belongs" to the Jaguars, instead it belongs to this era of football uniform design and they'll be tossed aside and forgotten about when the next fad comes along.

The Falcons, Oilers, Cardinals, all used pretty much the same striping pattern for their pants, around that time with three stripes. The only real differences between teams being the width of the stripes. Not really unique in that aspect.

If you took the logos off both eras of Jaguar uniforms and filled the colors in with, oh let's say Patriots colors, then you'd be able to recognize elements of the Jaguars old uniforms (such as the pants stripe, the double cuff stripes, and the number)

I would recognize everything listed, minus the font, as elements similar to that has already been been used by plenty of teams before including the Jaguars. Nothing about this would stand out as "hey they're using the Jaguar template".

but the current uniforms would look like basic practice jerseys with some random piping in the armpits and an ugly number font

I'm hard pressed to see how anyone would not instantly recognize an obvious recoloring of the Jags uniform, seeing that hardly anyone in the NFL comes to having a striping pattern like theirs.

Nothing about the current uniform "belongs" to the Jaguars, instead it belongs to this era of football uniform design

How exactly was their previous uniform any more unique, when compared to NFL and college football teams of that era? Nothing about that belonged to the Jags. They basically took elements, and either just added to theirs, or modified it just a little before adding it to the uniform. You're accusing them of just using a modern template that college teams use for the current set, but there's lot more that separates this set from their "competition" than the previous set from theirs.

The previous number font was BEFITTING of their nickname because it was sleek, slender, gave the impression of movement, and possessed tails (or serifs). All cat-like features. The current number font is just an ugly variation on a bad block font. It's fat, chunky, it just sits there with no implied movement, and it's so angular. Cats' bodies aren't angular, they're smooth and fluid (like the previous number font). The current typeface would be the perfect font for the Florida Gators, but not a team named after Cats.

Yeah I ah... actually meant to type "BEFITTING", really, .... I did :oops: . Fair enough I can't argue against font shape body shape comparison, although I still prefer the current font. But the comparison can also be made with their current stripes and the shape of the Jaguar's body which would be more befitting, then just generic stripes of their previous set.

I like the Jags current set, the only problem i find is the weird stripe on the jersey other than that the jersey looks good. i would like if they add a black alt because it just seems like its their tradition when they play a night game they will be in black. also the helmets are one of the best with changing colors in the light.

While "variety is the spice of life", I can't fathom someone preferring the Jaguars' current uniforms to the "OLD" uni pictured here.

Maybe - MAYBE - a mash-up of elements from these two jerseys might produce a serviceable new design, but I still don't think it would eclipse the old uniforms. I'd start by applying the old alpha-numeric font and 3-color numbers and letters to the new jerseys. I'd replace the White piping on the new jerseys with Gold. Finally, I'd add the prowling Jaguar logo to the new jerseys' sleeves. That might work... MIGHT.

While "variety is the spice of life", I can't fathom someone preferring the Jaguars' current uniforms to the "OLD" uni pictured here.

Maybe - MAYBE - a mash-up of elements from these two jerseys might produce a serviceable new design, but I still don't think it would eclipse the old uniforms. I'd start by applying the old alpha-numeric font and 3-color numbers and letters to the new jerseys. I'd replace the White piping on the new jerseys with Gold. Finally, I'd add the prowling Jaguar logo to the new jerseys' sleeves. That might work... MIGHT.

I've tried really really hard to find anything that I like about the new Jags unis period. Forget even comparing them to the old ones, I want to find something positive about them on their own and I simply can't. I honestly simply cannot find ONE item about the new jerseys that I like. I just don't understand the concept behind what the designers were going for here. It completely baffles me. I've literally uttered the phrase: "What were they thinking?" about a hundred times already.

Yeah, except miamis looked good and are appropriate for their identity.

SN: The Miami Hurricanes should not have dropped that set. It looks way better than their current uniforms. IMHO opinion those early ACC unis look better than the Ken Dorsey era unis. You know what, I'll go on record saying that those were the best uniforms the Canes ever had.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Yeah, except miamis looked good and are appropriate for their identity.

SN: The Miami Hurricanes should not have dropped that set. It looks way better than their current uniforms. IMHO opinion those early ACC unis look better than the Ken Dorsey era unis. You know what, I'll go on record saying that those were the best uniforms the Canes ever had.

Yes. I remember watching them against I believe it was fsu, and they just looked amazing. I would imagine though that the reason they went away from this look was because Nike seemed to base alot of other unis on these (mizzou, Illinois, Arizona, etc.) so they wanted to go in a different direction, wither way these were awesome

Yes. I remember watching them against I believe it was fsu, and they just looked amazing. I would imagine though that the reason they went away from this look was because Nike seemed to base alot of other unis on these (mizzou, Illinois, Arizona, etc.) so they wanted to go in a different direction, wither way these were awesome

I don't know about that. Miami's current set doesn't look like the sets you mentioned at all to me. I really don't know how to describe their current set. Major downgrade though.

Since the NFL is moving to Nike as their supplier, and no major college team is using that 2004 Hurricanes set the Jaguars could just switch to that. It would be a upgrade over what the Jags wear now.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I don't know about that. Miami's current set doesn't look like the sets you mentioned at all to me. I really don't know how to describe their current set. Major downgrade though.

Since the NFL is moving to Nike as their supplier, and no major college team is using that 2004 Hurricanes set the Jaguars could just switch to that. It would be a upgrade over what the Jags wear now.

He was saying that the template of the 2004 set was staring to be used by those other schools at the time when they switched to their current unis. And they might not be major, but UCF currently uses that template.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I do not want to see them wear a template any closer to Miami's then what they have now. Besides this uniform sucks. It sucks when it was first was unveiled I've tried to like it, Even other Jaguars fans have tried to. Nike made the best set in Jaguars history and they will now have to do it again next year. Teal, Black & GOLD !!!!

#DTWD #GoJaguars

Here's a good question: I'm pretty sure Wilson produced the inaugural Jags uniform sets...my question, though, is how much input, if any at all, did they have in the actual design of the uniform itself? Or did SME or some other internal design team just hand a slick to the folks at Wilson and say "here--this is how we want them to look, now make them" or something like that?

I have this same curiosity about other suppliers/manufacturers/team uniforms as well.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yes it was Wilson and they requested fan input , IE drawing and mock ups of uniforms with the color lay out of teal, gold, Sliver and Black. Of course the silver being dropped. Then if I remember they had an internal design that was locally based to go through the final submitted list, wilson and the group put together the final product.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

He was saying that the template of the 2004 set was staring to be used by those other schools at the time when they switched to their current unis. And they might not be major, but UCF currently uses that template.

:)

That's exactly what I was saying.

And no they won't use that template for the jags, they'll use a pc/ speed machine template, if not a newer one

Posted this in another thread but should be posted here too. Drew Hampton, equpiment manager of the Jags recently said on Twitter that the Jags 2012 is TBD. Link to tweet:

This makes me think they are changing since he previously said they weren't changing. That was before Shad Khan took over. Expect a different design for the Jags.

Posted this in another thread but should be posted here too. Drew Hampton, equpiment manager of the Jags recently said on Twitter that the Jags 2012 is TBD. Link to tweet: https://twitter.com/...143692317605888

This makes me think they are changing since he previously said they weren't changing. That was before Shad Khan took over. Expect a different design for the Jags.

It could mean they are keeping the same idea, but changing the stripes (the position and width), which would mean they arre kinda the same and kinda different.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived