NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

I just got back from the Texans Team Store at Reliant Stadium. I had to see the Game & Elite jerseys for myself.

WARNING: if you are in Houston and you want a new Texans jersey, be prepared to overpay. The jerseys are marked up 10%-25% over what they are charging at Nike.com.

1. If you are in the market for the Reebok gear, they had a ton of it. The Nike/New Era/47 Brand stuff was in the front of the store, but if they got rid of the Reebok, the place would have been only 60% full.

2. There is NO comparison between the old Reebok replicas and the new Nike Game jersey. The Game jersey has thicker material and feels sturdier. Even the mesh in the Nike jerseys (where they still exist on them) feels like a thicker mesh than what Reebok uses. You can tell where the extra money goes.

3. Again, there is NO comparison betwen the old Reebok authentics and the Nike Elite jersey. The Elite jersey is noticeable more heavyweight. I don't know if I'd want to sit in the hot sun wearing it, but you can tell where the cost goes.

4. Size-wise, I wear a 48 Majestic baseball jersey, or a 48 in most other sports jerseys. In the Reebok, I had to buy the 50 because the tail was so short on it, but then I just felt boxy because the 50 was too wide. The Nike Elite 48 fits like a 48 should fit. The tail area may be a little to tight for those with ample posteriors, but that is only if you pull it down all the way.

5. They had the blue & white Games and the blue Elite, but they said they'd be getting the reds in both soon.

6. I would DEFINITELY recommend that you try on the jersey before you buy it (or get it from somewhere online that the return policy is good), because the Nike stuff definitely fits differently than the Reebok stuff.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen one of these upclose yet, but I don't get people celebrating the new cut. First off, replica football jerseys are suppose to fit loose, like a t-shirt. Lots of people have followed the recent "fitted" trend of clothing when they shouldn't have. And it's not one of BBTV's rants against fat people, you could be a size L and still not look flattering in a form-fitting shirt. I don't get why it is a good thing that the jerseys are smaller. If Reebok's sizes ran big, they could have bought one size under.

If these were authentic jerseys, I could see the reasoning in making them tighter and truer to the game jerseys. However, these are not authetics, they are made for slouching around on a gameday. Furthermore, that part of the jerseys which was the most glaring problem, the ridiculous sleeve length, hasn't been touched at all. Who cares if the jersey is more form-fitted if the silly sleeves still come past your elbows?

so you'd rather prefer the reebok mumu...I guess with the obesity epidemic in the country there is a significant portion of nfl fans that don't appreciate clothing with an appropriate fit.

I haven't seen any Reebok jerseys that looked like moo-moos, other than on wannbe-thug white kids who wore them two sizes too big and also had their pants hanging off their asses. The only Reebok replica I owned was from 2002, so maybe their cuts changed, but it wasn't any baggier than any other shirts I owned.

And clearly you are upset and attached to Nike here for some reason, so let me ask you, do you actually believe that sleeves coming down past the elbows is a "proper fit", particularly when they are mimicing sleeves which are actually about 4 inches long?

oh man do we have a difference of opinion.

when I think of the reebok mumu I'm ignoring the homies and totally focusing on the overweight beer bellied white guys with the xxl/xxxl cheap piece of garbage with the square shoulders billowing torso and floppy sleeves. I'm of the strong opinion that reebok squandered their contract by putting minimal resources into design and product quality...hence the degrading quality (fit & materials) of their replicas.

so in steps nike and they put out a superior product in terms materials and cut...I didn't think the replica would warrant a price increase but judging by the looks the premium seems justified. As far as the sleeves go I love them. They invoke in my mind the best fitting (without pads) jersey cuts from the 60's-80's which I believe are the perfect style for casual wear.

Say what you want about nike...I'm not a loyalist by any means but they've done more to set uniform trends in terms of design and materials than all the other sports companies combined. While most of their marketing is ridiculous, they continue to spend on r&d and innovate. All of the other companies just follow the lead and are usually 2 years behind the curve. With the nfl they clearly put much more thought into detail and attempted at designing what they think is superior fan gear. After seeing it I have to agree.

In case you were wondering here are my preferences in terms of sportswear and design. Not much brand loyalty to be had.

shoes: new balance

base layer/socks: ua

shorts: nike & adidas

boardshorts: volcom/hurley

hats: new era/flexfit

First off, replica football jerseys are suppose to fit loose, like a t-shirt...

Well, your first problem is that a t-shirt isn't supposed to fit loose. In fact, not many types are clothing are supposed to fit loose. It looks sloppy and in many cases was/is a job hazard (not as relevant anymore with there being less and less manufacturing/labor-type jobs). A shirt that fits is not snug or tight, and it's not loose or baggy. Even large people look better in form-fitting clothing. Check out any one of GQ's before and afters.

If you were smaller than the Reebok S, how were you supposed to size down?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Well, your first problem is that a t-shirt isn't supposed to fit loose. In fact, not many types are clothing are supposed to fit loose. It looks sloppy and in many cases was/is a job hazard (not as relevant anymore with there being less and less manufacturing/labor-type jobs). A shirt that fits is not snug or tight, and it's not loose or baggy. Even large people look better in form-fitting clothing. Check out any one of GQ's before and afters.

QF-bloody-T.

I guess it's a matter of semantics, but I consider loose and baggy go be very different things. For instance, dress shirts should be loose, to allow a little movement. Not baggy, but with a little extra room, and they should be pulled up slightly after being tucked in so it's not taut down to the belt. The recent trends have been to wear too-tight shirts, to the point where one couldn't raise his arms without it becoming untucked. The picture on the left is loose, in my opinion, and how a dress shirt should be worn. The one on the right is the new trend - too tight.

port-authority-TLS608-tall-long-sleeve-easy-care-shirt.jpg7338.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

If you consider the image on the left bloused, then yes, they should be. That isn't sloppy by any means. If you wear a dress shirt like the one on the left, tight and in that manner, you aren't going to be comfortable raising your arms at any higher than about a 45 degree angle. Any moderate movement and the shirt is coming untucked.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

A dress shirt should be a little bloused, like the guy in the plain white shirt. The best thing to do is tuck in your shirt tight, then raise your hands above your head. The small amount of blouse is perfect.

By the way, I saw a guy wearing a Nike Manning Broncos jersey tonight. Looked good, but the numbers were small. That's my main gripe. They should be an inch or two bigger in both directions.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Not a fan of the random Seahawks script, but I gotta say, other than that, these look great. A Nike design like this for every team wouldn't work, but for Seattle, they look great. I'm definitely excited to see these in action this fall.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I guess it's a matter of semantics, but I consider loose and baggy go be very different things. For instance, dress shirts should be loose, to allow a little movement. Not baggy, but with a little extra room, and they should be pulled up slightly after being tucked in so it's not taut down to the belt. The recent trends have been to wear too-tight shirts, to the point where one couldn't raise his arms without it becoming untucked. The picture on the left is loose, in my opinion, and how a dress shirt should be worn. The one on the right is the new trend - too tight.

port-authority-TLS608-tall-long-sleeve-easy-care-shirt.jpg7338.jpg

The body of the shirt on the guy to the right is maybe a little too trim, but the sleeves are dead on. The shirt on the guy to the left is far too big in the sleeves. It's a bit too large in the body, but not outrageous. That shirt is too large for the man who's wearing it. It would fit well if he had a more muscular physique.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived