NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

What I don't understand is. When a new uniform is introduced, modern alternates in college, new Nike NFL jerseys, etc...we hear a lot of feedback from announcers, fans, and the public in general. If the feedback is positive about a modern look, people around here claim that "well they are dumb, what do fans and the public know about design" excuse and say it doesn't matter what they say. If feedback is negative, it turns into "ha! I told you no one likes it". So isn't this a double standard? Do public/fan opinions matter or not?

It's hardly a double standard if one poster replies "yes" to the question and another replies "no".

Find one single poster who has said both of those and you can ask him. Until then, it's not a good idea to conflate the disparate opinions of a varied community into one standard catch-all.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't understand is. When a new uniform is introduced, modern alternates in college, new Nike NFL jerseys, etc...we hear a lot of feedback from announcers, fans, and the public in general. If the feedback is positive about a modern look, people around here claim that "well they are dumb, what do fans and the public know about design" excuse and say it doesn't matter what they say. If feedback is negative, it turns into "ha! I told you no one likes it". So isn't this a double standard? Do public/fan opinions matter or not?

It's hardly a double standard if one poster replies "yes" to the question and another replies "no".

Find one single poster who has said both of those and you can ask him. Until then, it's not a good idea to conflate the disparate opinions of a varied community into one standard catch-all.

Agreed - and I'll also add that once the public / fans gets involved, it's clear that it confirms that the problem really is a big one and is likely to change in the near future.

The texans jerseys didn't look all that bad although I wish they were the regular sized collars...I think a lot of teams are wishing they would have went the texans route rather than going the neck pad route cuz it reallys looks horrible. Correct if I'm wrong but I don't recall seeing any of the college teams utilizing these jersey cuts that have a colored collar. Nike and or the teams need to do something before the regular season or at the conclusion of this season.

I was relieved to finally see the Texans jersey in action. It's not that bad at all, in fact by the end of the game I was already used to them. If they had to go that route at least they had sense enough to make it one color.

The stripes on the sleeves are longer, they never tucked under the arm like that before....but it's really only if you see photos side by side that you notice it. Sort of like the Panthers logo. If I didn't pay attention to things like that, I would have never noticed it was different.

20120811_TexansPanthers_BTC_19.jpg

I loved the last shade of blue for the Seahawks , but since that is gone the new is not perfect, but with the lime green it made the whole uniform pop. I was glad to see that the Texans uniforms looked good on the field. My only complaint about the games yesterday was that the stripes on the Titans seemed thinner than previous years. I am very curious to see what the pewter pans for the Bucs will look like.

spacer.png

A problem with the Seahawks' uniforms as a full set, though, is that when they're on the road or in their dirty-white alternates, you're not going to see any of that lime green at all.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

A problem with the Seahawks' uniforms as a full set, though, is that when they're on the road or in their dirty-white alternates, you're not going to see any of that lime green at all.

That is true, but I will hold judgement until I see it on the tv. I just hope they continue to wear blue on blue at home and white on blue or gray on the road.

spacer.png

Those collars don't look nearly as bad on the Texans in an actual game as they did earlier. Hopefully more teams will switch to these and color in the entire collar instead of only half. If there are actually complaints about the half collars in places other than a uniform message board the teams might care enough to change in the off-season.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Those collars don't look nearly as bad on the Texans in an actual game as they did earlier. Hopefully more teams will switch to these and color in the entire collar instead of only half. If there are actually complaints about the half collars in places other than a uniform message board the teams might care enough to change in the off-season.

Yeah, in pads with everything else stretched out it looks OK. I think it'll be more dramatic on the white jersey though so that'll be the true test.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hate that the swoosh looks like it's actually their logo, since it's framed perfectly in the lime box. That area would look weird without anything in there, and there's not enough room for a Seattle logo, so it was pretty clearly designed for the sole purpose of housing the swoosh. Now that I'm looking at the whole uniform for the first time, I think that it's possible that Nike had that jersey made up in several different colorways, with several different team wordmarks on the stripe, and pitched it to several different teams. Once Seattle bought it, they then worked on the pants (as would have been the case with whatever team bought it.) There just seems to be some disconnect between the two parts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I hate that the swoosh looks like it's actually their logo, since it's framed perfectly in the lime box. That area would look weird without anything in there, and there's not enough room for a Seattle logo, so it was pretty clearly designed for the sole purpose of housing the swoosh. Now that I'm looking at the whole uniform for the first time, I think that it's possible that Nike had that jersey made up in several different colorways, with several different team wordmarks on the stripe, and pitched it to several different teams. Once Seattle bought it, they then worked on the pants (as would have been the case with whatever team bought it.) There just seems to be some disconnect between the two parts.

The design on the sleeves matches the contour of the pattern used on the numbers, collar, and helmet. The pattern, like the logo, is based of native american tribal art. So there is no way this is just some random template they designed. It was designed specifically for the Seahawks.

It's like saying Nike came up with a design a few years ago with frogskin pattern on it. They pitched it to all teams and TCU just happened to like it so it stuck.

The design on the sleeves matches the contour of the pattern used on the numbers, collar, and helmet. The pattern, like the logo, is based of native american tribal art. So there is no way this is just some random template they designed. It was designed specifically for the Seahawks.

It's like saying Nike came up with a design a few years ago with frogskin pattern on it. They pitched it to all teams and TCU just happened to like it so it stuck.

Yeah, I don't think they went around to the Seahawks, Jags, and whoever else they thought they could get to switch and pitched it to them. But the point about the green area on the sleeves is true. It's pretty obvious that they designed the sleeves around the swoosh so it could stand out.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

THIS. I love the helmet, jerseys and pants as separate entities, but as a whole, they just don't fit together as well as they could have. Add green to the helmet and add grey to the pants and I think these could be a perfect set. Regarding your thought of the uniform design, however, I can't help but disagree with you. The shoulders, while much more symbolic than Oregon's, are clearly inspired by tribal artwork from the Pacific Northwest. I am of the opinion that the jerseys were tailor made for the Seahawks.

While they probably did design this specifically for the Seahawks, the helmet, jersey and pants do seem to have a bit of disconnect between each other. The color balance seems pretty off to me, which is most likely the result of having 3 primary colors. There are parts of the uniform that contain no silver, and other parts that contain no green. The monochrome blue is really bothering me, as far as color balance. The jersey is mostly navy and silver, yet the pants contain no silver at all. They look like they weren't meant to be worn together. Seattle really needs to stick with the silver pants at home and blue pants on the road. That would help with the color balance problem.

And that weird helmet stripe needs to go. It adds nothing to the design and just clutters things up.

jNTsTyQ.png

While they probably did design this specifically for the Seahawks, the helmet, jersey and pants do seem to have a bit of disconnect between each other. The color balance seems pretty off to me, which is most likely the result of having 3 primary colors. There are parts of the uniform that contain no silver, and other parts that contain no green. The monochrome blue is really bothering me, as far as color balance. The jersey is mostly navy and silver, yet the pants contain no silver at all. They look like they weren't meant to be worn together. Seattle really needs to stick with the silver pants at home and blue pants on the road. That would help with the color balance problem.

And that weird helmet stripe needs to go. It adds nothing to the design and just clutters things up.

Unlike their last uniforms, I actually think the monochrome works quite well with this set (for home games). Like it or not, it gives Seattle an identity. I just wish they added a green trim to the logo and made the pant stripe grey with a green trim as well. Changing that number font sure wouldn't hurt either.

THIS

The texans jerseys didn't look all that bad although I wish they were the regular sized collars...I think a lot of teams are wishing they would have went the texans route rather than going the neck pad route cuz it reallys looks horrible. Correct if I'm wrong but I don't recall seeing any of the college teams utilizing these jersey cuts that have a colored collar. Nike and or the teams need to do something before the regular season or at the conclusion of this season.

rutgers new uniforms have the "neckpad" look but it doesnt look as bad and actually looks really good on theirs

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

seahawks= work of art

Agreed. Nike and the Seahawks created an amazing uniform. I'd rather not see the monochrome, these are still absolutely beautiful!

2012Seahawks.png

Picture this on above uniform, grey helmet with bottom color on logo green, grey pants with green stripe. I think you get a better color balance.

Archived