NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

I could understand if most aren't a fan of Nike's template but is it really fair to assume the "actual reason" you posted. Like because its the corporation that is Nike, then it has to be some other motives. They have never had a branding problem so maybe, just maybe when they do try to do something new its because they believe in their design & tech. I dont think they see the sweatbox and think "new swoosh." I think they believe its an advancement(whether it is or not) and if it succeeds then it pushes the brand anyway. All they need to put on the unis to make it say Nike is the swoosh. They do that. All the rest, in my opinion, is what they feel to be innovation. Even if it looks weird to us.

That's just the thing, though. It's nonsense and there is no rational measure for it succeeding. The only way it can succeed for them is through it helping them sell more jerseys. When they make asinine claims like "2.8% lighter and 1.5% more breathable" (or whichever numbers they used), it sets them up for criticism because their metrics are faulty. Did players say the jersey felt 3.4% airier? No. But that doesn't even address Nike's bastardizing the jerseys to the extent they did. ALL teams look bad in the new template, but some teams, such as the Jets, look horrendous. It's not just a problem of those panels changing colors, the greens aren't even close. That is inexcusable, and I do not believe for a second that Nike, despite supposedly coming up with space age materials, is unable to get them looking close to other materials which they themselves created.

I'm with you on this one. Assuming that any performance advantages that they claim to have is bogus is just hating on Nike without solid proof. Unless you've worn this style of jersey and played a game in it, you can't say how much of a difference this makes to a player. Design and materials have changed throughout the years. Just because Nike used to make uniforms without the sweat guts doesn't mean that they're not allowed to improve upon their uniform.

Okay, if Nike thinks the fabric is go great a wicking sweat, why not use it on the entire jersey? With what Nike has done, especially with Oregon, there's no reason NOT to think it's just a marketing ploy.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The half-collars looks stupid. REALLY stupid. Particularly on the darker jerseys, where the collar looks like a neck-roll.

Fail.

Fail.

Fail.

This was supposed to be superior over Reebock in appearance? What a freaking joke.

I'm sorry, but maybe I'm in a small minority that thinks the Nike NFL versions are bad and their college alts even worse.

I just want to hurl at the sight of most of them.

And their fan tshirts? Small logos and large Nike catch-phrases. I feel like it's a GIANT setback. To each their own.

I don't really know why, but the Nike's version of the Bengals jersey looks better. Was there a minor tweak (perhaps the sleeve bengal stripes smaller)? I can't figure it out, but they just look better.

2012Bengals.png

Here's last season Reebok version of the Bengals white away jersey (below) ...

Looks about the same to me, only the addition of the black toilet-seat collar ...

Throughout NFL chat-forms nationwide and social-media, these Nike collars are getting ripped by everyone. Even by the announcers who were calling the Chargers game on radio yesterday were making it an issue. Nike has surely gotta be taking a beating to their reputation with these. It wouldn't surprise me if the Flywire collars are altered and made the same color as the jersey before the 2012 season concludes.

On the Bills board it's an ongoing subject and it's not going away. People who originally thought that so many were making too much of the issue are now complaining about them too after yesterdays home game vs Redskins.

Everyone was so happy with the return to the BILLS traditional look last season, not they're all complaining that Nike has ruined the jerseys with that stupid collar. Nike sales on authentic elite jersey are going to take a major hit for most teams this season because of them, everyone hates the collar. I salute teams like the Raiders, Packers and others who stood their ground.

bengals_at_broncos_2011.jpg

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

flywire_nike.jpg

I'm with you on this one. Assuming that any performance advantages that they claim to have is bogus is just hating on Nike without solid proof. Unless you've worn this style of jersey and played a game in it, you can't say how much of a difference this makes to a player. Design and materials have changed throughout the years. Just because Nike used to make uniforms without the sweat guts doesn't mean that they're not allowed to improve upon their uniform.

Okay, if Nike thinks the fabric is go great a wicking sweat, why not use it on the entire jersey? With what Nike has done, especially with Oregon, there's no reason NOT to think it's just a marketing ploy.

The sweat boxes are on the stomach and lower back. I'm betting that this has something to do with the fact that these are the parts of the body that the shoulder pads don't cover. I'm willing to bet that if they had a way to make those areas the same color as the jersey while they are wet and dry, we would see it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

6) Forgot to mention the 49ers. It's really a shame the franchise decided to keep the awkward sleeve pattern instead of having Nike fix it.

2012Niners.png

Interesting that on quarterbacks with full sleeves the 49ers had all stripes, not the truncated stuff. Back on reebok it was still truncated when sleeves were there

7762097144_7fdd62f95c.jpg

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Regarding the Redskins. IMO they should have done the following.

1. Followed the Bears & Chiefs example. Move the double stripe from the cuff to the sleeves, & move the numbers up to the shoulders.
  2. Ditch the black shoes. White with burgudy accents or team colored shoes would look much better.
  3. "Flywire" collars on the white jerseys look horribe. I hope they can ditch those next season.
  4. The striped socks they wore on Thursday should be replaced with the solid burgundy socks.
  5. Honestly I'm pissed they ditched the burgundy pants this season. If anything they should have ditched the white pants. Burgundy over gold for the home set, with white over burgundy as the road set would have been a pretty sweet look for them.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I could understand if most aren't a fan of Nike's template but is it really fair to assume the "actual reason" you posted. Like because its the corporation that is Nike, then it has to be some other motives. They have never had a branding problem so maybe, just maybe when they do try to do something new its because they believe in their design & tech. I dont think they see the sweatbox and think "new swoosh." I think they believe its an advancement(whether it is or not) and if it succeeds then it pushes the brand anyway. All they need to put on the unis to make Ookit say Nike is the swoosh. They do that. All the rest, in my opinion, is what they feel to be innovation. Even if it looks weird to us.

That's just the thing, though. It's nonsense and there is no rational measure for it succeeding. The only way it can succeed for them is through it helping them sell more jerseys. When they make asinine claims like "2.8% lighter and 1.5% more breathable" (or whichever numbers they used), it sets them up for criticism because their metrics are faulty. Did players say the jersey felt 3.4% airier? No. But that doesn't even address Nike's bastardizing the jerseys to the extent they did. ALL teams look bad in the new template, but some teams, such as the Jets, look horrendous. It's not just a problem of those panels changing colors, the greens aren't even close. That is inexcusable, and I do not believe for a second that Nike, despite supposedly coming up with space age materials, is unable to get them looking close to other materials which they themselves created.

What I gather from what I read from you is that aesthetically speaking you dont like the way they look. Thats fine. My point is that your claims are probably just as baseless. How can you be so sure the fabrics dont make a difference in performance? Sure they dont look as well as old Nike unis, i'll give you that. The problem is, from my point of view, you use that as that means of knocking on Nike. They dont look good so Nike must be full of crap. That's how it comes across. I have a feeling if the unis were to your liking you wouldnt have a problem if Nike had given some technobabble about how fast or sweat resistant they are because you'd have nothing to complain about due to the fact you like them. Look man you have every right to your opinion but to make certain claims because you arent satisfied with the product is something else.

6) Forgot to mention the 49ers. It's really a shame the franchise decided to keep the awkward sleeve pattern instead of having Nike fix it.

2012Niners.png

Interesting that on quarterbacks with full sleeves the 49ers had all stripes, not the truncated stuff. Back on reebok it was still truncated when sleeves were there

Last year, David Akers had all three stripes.

david-akers-field-goal-49ers-giants.jpg

Go A's!

Throughout NFL chat-forms nationwide and social-media, these Nike collars are getting ripped by everyone. Even by the announcers who were calling the Chargers game on radio yesterday were making it an issue. Nike has surely gotta be taking a beating to their reputation with these. It wouldn't surprise me if the Flywire collars are altered and made the same color as the jersey before the 2012 season concludes.

I don't really care for the collars, but overall the Nike uniforms are a big improvement over Reebok. If having to watch a few teams with "different" collars, I really don't see it as a big deal.

What I don't understand is. When a new uniform is introduced, modern alternates in college, new Nike NFL jerseys, etc...we hear a lot of feedback from announcers, fans, and the public in general. If the feedback is positive about a modern look, people around here claim that "well they are dumb, what do fans and the public know about design" excuse and say it doesn't matter what they say. If feedback is negative, it turns into "ha! I told you no one likes it". So isn't this a double standard? Do public/fan opinions matter or not?

After seeing most of the new uniforms, the only thing I hate is the players that are wearing baggy sleeves. Like Smith and Akers pictured above. But this isn't a result of the Nike uniforms, because Peyton Manning has been wearing the same sleeves his entire career and it has always looked ridiculous. But really it's more of the individual players choice of what kind of sleeves they want.

Regarding the Redskins. IMO they should have done the following.

1. Followed the Bears & Chiefs example. Move the double stripe from the cuff to the sleeves, & move the numbers up to the shoulders.
  2. Ditch the black shoes. White with burgundy accents or team colored shoes would look much better.
  3. "Flywire" collars on the white jerseys look horrible. I hope they can ditch those next season.
  4. The striped socks they wore on Thursday should be replaced with the solid burgundy socks.
  5. Honestly I'm pissed they ditched the burgundy pants this season. If anything they should have ditched the white pants. Burgundy over gold for the home set, with white over burgundy as the road set would have been a pretty sweet look for them.

There's NO limit on pants, so the Redskins could have kept both the burgundy and white pants along with adding the yellow ones. The white pants look good with the burgundy jerseys, the yellow offers a good intermittent change-up to both the burgundy and the white jersey. If they end up always wearing the yellow it's gonna get old fast.

This so-called style-guide has proven to be wrong already, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Redskins still have the burgundy pants for 2012 ... unless they've officially announced they're gone for 2012??

Both the Bills and Redskins looked ridiculous with those toilet-seat collars during Thursday nights game!! :wacko:

NFL Live had a segment called 'Fashion Police' to criticize the collars, Trey Wingo was like "what int he world are those things on the uniform for"?

Gotta disagree on the shoes ... Redskins look better to me in black shoes and I'd be pissed if Buffalo ever went back to the white shoes, especially on the road uniforms.

I cannot wait to see the Redskins in those 80th anniversary throwbacks .. hope they wear them twice, not once. Those simulated brown leather helmets are awesome!!

news_pic_0027.jpg

RedskinsThrowbacks.jpg

Last year, David Akers had all three stripes.

david-akers-field-goal-49ers-giants.jpg

Weird thing in that pic Lee doesn't despite having sleeves also. Alex Smith's last year were like Lee's in that pic. Akers don't appear to go all the way around in that pic like this years. Plus Akers still appears to not have a full bottom stripe. Seems like other parts of the year he had same as Lee.

David+Akers+Seattle+Seahawks+v+San+Francisco+saK57ztABOsl.jpg

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

The NFL has their fashion police at every game. They issue fines about shoes and how socks are worn, yet nothing pertaining to the sleeves.

The sleeves are short enough as is compared to how they used to be back in the day.

I don't understand why the NFL hasn't made it a rule that the sleeves cannot be altered any shorter than they already are. It's gotten totally out of hand.

They don't want players wearing different shoe colors and designs, yet the sleeve altering is much more noticeable .

What's next .... sleeveless jerseys like the NBA?? Slowly it seems to be evolving to that ...

The new Seahawks uniforms are beautiful on the field!

I think they look awesome. I love the bright green on the sleeves, and I think the only thing I would change is maybe make the numbers white instead of grey. But it's just a small tweak.

Disagree, Blue shade is too dark, green trim is too bright, needs green on logo to balance with the green on rest of uniform, numbers need to be white, and here we go again, blue on blue combo sux..........

Disagree, Blue shade is too dark, green trim is too bright, needs green on logo to balance with the green on rest of uniform, numbers need to be white, and here we go again, blue on blue combo sux..........

I disagree too ... and agree with your points, they look worse than ever.

They've worn enough monochrome in recent seasons to last a lifetime ... At the very least I'd like to see them wear their new alternate gray pants.

I liked the prior blue much better ... 'twas just overkill with it on the helmet, jersey, pants .... perhaps then those gray numbers would blend in.

Their new jersey looks like it was concocted together like a jigsaw puzzle ... The helmet when under the lights looks to have a glare that's in the shape of an upside-down Nike swoosh.

and Tennessee .. white with sky blue pants ... same old - same old ... Zzzzzzzzzzzz !! 77_77.gif

seahawks_yukk.jpg

By wearing the navy blue pants with the navy blue jersey, the Seahawks continue to make one bad uniform decision after another. If they wore the gray pants with the navy jersey, they would at least just look silly. By wearing all navy they look silly AND ugly.

Good going, Seahawks.

By wearing the navy blue pants with the navy blue jersey, the Seahawks continue to make one bad uniform decision after another. If they wore the gray pants with the navy jersey, they would at least just look silly. By wearing all navy they look silly AND ugly.

Good going, Seahawks.

I would have loved to see them wear a grey helmet. That and grey pants with the home jersey would look great.

Archived