NFL Championship Sunday

Cujo

Nothing wrong with Cherry red and butterscotch. Those are their traditional colors from their most successful era. Not the faux 1994 throwbacks in Cardinal red they wore in the early part of last decade. If they'd wanted to use a drop shadow back in 1998 when they switched they should have changed to this permanently (maybe with some butterscotch pants).

d_sanders_950115_640.jpg

It was a much better looking uniform than this...

alex-smith-49ers.jpg

49ers went with the updated logo and shadow numbers full time in 1996...they added the gold pants in 1998.

That's what I thought but I went with the dates on another website as verification. Guess they were wrong. Anyway my point stands. The 94 throwbacks were better than the 96 jerseys. That said the 80's look was better still. These current unis do a good job of approximating it. Now if only they'd fix their helmet logo to match.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I can't believe the hate for the current 49ers look. The only way their current look could improve is to lose the matte look on their pants and return to the sheen. They have near perfect uniforms in my book.

i agree 100%, its the matte pants that makes me not like the uniform. Everything else I love!

spacer.png

spacer.png

But I'm afraid were gonna get those God-awlful black pants from Baltimore. Plain, stripeless black pants are bad enough, but paired up with the black socks? Makes me ill to think about it.

For some reason, this reminded me of JohnnySeoul's ridiculous argument that the Browns' solid brown pants worked perfectly in a set where every other element prominently featured stripes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But I'm afraid were gonna get those God-awlful black pants from Baltimore. Plain, stripeless black pants are bad enough, but paired up with the black socks? Makes me ill to think about it.

For some reason, this reminded me of JohnnySeoul's ridiculous argument that the Browns' solid brown pants worked perfectly in a set where every other element prominently featured stripes.

Which shows exactly why the Ravens' black pants are fine. Striping would not fit in with the rest of the look at all. If anything, maybe add two sharp purple "stripes" to match the helmet. Now, using purple socks rather than black is completely understandable, but the solid black pants are not at all the problem.

Which shows exactly why the Ravens' black pants are fine. Striping would not fit in with the rest of the look at all. If anything, maybe add two sharp purple "stripes" to match the helmet. Now, using purple socks rather than black is completely understandable, but the solid black pants are not at all the problem.

Me, I just hate ALL stripeless football pants, regardless of whether or not the rest of the uniform has stripes. (Notre Dame, Michigan, and the St. Louis Rams are my only exceptions... just because!)

And, besides, as you say, the black helmet DOES have stripes (Sucky, pointy ones, but still...)

I never had a problem with the 49ers burgundy/black years. They weren't a downgrade, just something different. The only think I disagreed with were the white pants they wore for the first several years. Eshh!

Steve-Young1.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

Me, I just hate ALL stripeless football pants, regardless of whether or not the rest of the uniform has stripes. (Notre Dame, Michigan, and the St. Louis Rams are my only exceptions... just because!)

Just because...what?

I never had a problem with the 49ers burgundy/black years. They weren't a downgrade, just something different. The only think I disagreed with were the white pants they wore for the first several years. Eshh!

Steve-Young1.jpg

Yeah. Those pants were begging for some gold. I don't like the Niners current unis as much as the previous uniforms because it was change for change sakes. So often, uniforms introduced in the 90s are flawed by the overexuberance (sp?) of new design techniques. But the uniforms introduced in 1996 weren't flawed, save for the white pants, and even that was fixed by 1998. It was an appropriate evolution to the 49ers uniforms. It made sense. It didn't need to be nixed.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Not true. As I said before, as bad as the Ravens' set is, there are a bunch of tweaks which would make it a really good uniform. The helmet stripes are bad and invisible on anything other than closeup shots, so the pants don't need to match them (just as the Bears and Chiefs don;t need solid pants to match their helmets). The redeeming parts of the set are the pants stripes and the old white striped socks. They are a traditional modern uniform because they understand that you need to have stripes on football pants. That was until their half-assed black pants. Black pants would look bad with the purple jerseys regardless, but they should bring back the previous set of black pants with the white-purple-white stripes and pair them with the striped white socks and the white jerseys. The other flaws aside, that is a great look. The white pants are fine and stripes would be just as appropriate on the black pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

And, besides, as you say, the black helmet DOES have stripes (Sucky, pointy ones, but still...)

Not to come off as a jerk or anything, but you basically ruined any chance of successfully arguing one way or another. Hating "ALL" of anything always shows lack of reason when arguing something like this. As I say all the time, base each element on a uniform to uniform or team to team basis. Also, you hate "ALL" of something, except for when it is applied to three specific teams? Because they are "classic," or what? If you say because they simply fit in nicely with the rest of the design (which, again, should always be the logical reason), doesn't that contradict your original statement as well as the particular argument we were addressing?

And yes, I suppose "stripes" is the best way to describe the Ravens' helmet detail. So it would make sense to match them on the pants, yes? Adding full on "traditional" stripes to the pants would be out of place and not fit in with the design.

Not true. As I said before, as bad as the Ravens' set is, there are a bunch of tweaks which would make it a really good uniform. The helmet stripes are bad and invisible on anything other than closeup shots, so the pants don't need to match them (just as the Bears and Chiefs don;t need solid pants to match their helmets). The redeeming parts of the set are the pants stripes and the old white striped socks. They are a traditional modern uniform because they understand that you need to have stripes on football pants. That was until their half-assed black pants. Black pants would look bad with the purple jerseys regardless, but they should bring back the previous set of black pants with the white-purple-white stripes and pair them with the striped white socks and the white jerseys. The other flaws aside, that is a great look. The white pants are fine and stripes would be just as appropriate on the black pants.

That's just it, the pants do not NEED to match the helmet. But if you are against solid black pants, mimicking the helmet "stripes" would be the most logical thing to do. The Bears and Chiefs have striped pants the match the jerseys, not the helmets. Seeing as the Ravens' jerseys do not feature striping, that leaves the helmet. There is no NEED to have striped pants in football, either. Yes, that's how things were "back in the day" and that is how the basic design of the football uniform has developed. But again, make design choices that fit the brand. If a team has what one would consider a more "modern" brand, then the design elements of the uniform should match that. With the current Raven's identity, traditional pants striping is out of place, especially on the black pants.

alex-smith-49ers.jpg

Sorry, I still think this is the best look the 49ers have ever had.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

alex-smith-49ers.jpg

My issue with that set is mainly the change of the shade of red over the years. The dropshadow was the best in the league though. The design is still in my opinion really nice, but the team was looking for a fresh look and with the trend of going back to retro, it was inevitable.

Go A's!

alex-smith-49ers.jpg

My issue with that set is mainly the change of the shade of red over the years. The dropshadow was the best in the league though. The design is still in my opinion really nice, but the team was looking for a fresh look and with the trend of going back to retro, it was inevitable.

True, but I hate how flat the new look is. The old look was eye-catching and the drop shadow actually worked for them (imho). The only thing that kinda sucked was the black stripe on the helmet.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This was easily a better Giants/49ers uniform matchup:

sp_49ers03.jpg

If only the Giants' pants and facemasks were white and red respectively, not that dingy gray color... then it would be perfection.

Oh hell no. Those Giants uniforms were OK up close, although sort of boring without any kind of stripes or other detailing. However, at a distance, the blue and red on the jerseys blended together and made them look purplish - you can sort of see it in that picture. Their current road uniforms are worlds better.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

What would you guys think if the Ravens added stripes like this to their black pants?

stripes.png

This was easily a better Giants/49ers uniform matchup:

sp_49ers03.jpg

If only the Giants' pants and facemasks were white and red respectively, not that dingy gray color... then it would be perfection.

Oh hell no. Those Giants uniforms were OK up close, although sort of boring without any kind of stripes or other detailing. However, at a distance, the blue and red on the jerseys blended together and made them look purplish - you can sort of see it in that picture. Their current road uniforms are worlds better.

I prefer the blue socks on the road to the red they currently wear. It includes the helmet with the rest of the uniform and better balances the whole uniform. But, I like the current jerseys better than these. There has to be a happy medium.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I love that Cowboys uniform. For one, it uses navy blue. Two, it looks cool. I wish they still wore them. I just thought they were striking and far more visually interesting than their normal white jerseys.

Man_0971-575x416.jpg

plus, they were a modern take on the original uniforms.

woodson2.jpg

Maybe my favorite uniform of all time.

alex-smith-49ers.jpg

True, but I hate how flat the new look is. The old look was eye-catching and the drop shadow actually worked for them (imho). The only thing that kinda sucked was the black stripe on the helmet.

I hated the way the 9ers looked when Montana/Rice wore them. I was excited for these Young/Owens era ones, but quickly got bored of them. The helmet stripe was awful, as was the pant stripe. I hate drop shadows, however, the 9ers' wasn't terrible. Overall, some black trim was OK, but got boring quickly. I really like the current update to the old unis they have now. I just wish they got rid of the black in the logo. The only issue I have is the grey facemask with the 'butterscotch' helmet. Grey and gold look bad together.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Archived