College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

POTD?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think any other school has created uniform buzz like Oregon EVERY week. I mean, every game, Twitter is buzzing with what the Ducks will wear, people try and speculate, and just general buzz is created. They are getting talked about, I'm not sure how that is a bad thing.

Oregon's style of creating buzz should be brought to the NFL. Yeah, I said it. I wanna see these unique ideas come to pro football. Let's see some chrome helmets and multiple uni combinations.

E1AmF.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I would if I saw them in 2002. Multiple options are great and the ability to mix and match if nice, but to the "casual" fan, this can be confusing. That's why Alabama and to a lesser extent Ohio State keep their looks pretty standard.

Don't make this a "Quality of Fan" thing. It's about team identity, and the Ducks identity is that they don't have one. They have millions of uniform combinations and have de-evolved into an aesthetics circus.

With every unveil they're taking the basic idea of a Football Uniform and trying to make it into something More. This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army.

"Your football team still only has 2 uni combos? What a primitive silly-ass backwards bunch of inbreds. Call me when you get chrome helmets and wings on your shoulderpads, Jim-Bob!

"Your team got a black alternate? LULZ, bitch. We've got 800,000 black/chrome/pewter/steel/anthracite/grey/gray/midnight/wesley snipes combos, and that's just this year! We're unveiling our BlackOut Chrome Anti-Matte Flex-Fit Carbon-Sex Death Swift unis next year, which feature Nike's Zip-Crotch technology!

"Oh, and....we've got some green and yellow crap in there to remind everybody of the team we used to be back before we raped the college uniform scene with our orgy of absurd combination quantities, random 'because we can' aesthetic additions, and hokey gimmickry all under the guise of The Future Of Football."

Yeah. I'm nominating this for POTD. So many quotables.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I would if I saw them in 2002. Multiple options are great and the ability to mix and match if nice, but to the "casual" fan, this can be confusing. That's why Alabama and to a lesser extent Ohio State keep their looks pretty standard.

Don't make this a "Quality of Fan" thing. It's about team identity, and the Ducks identity is that they don't have one. They have millions of uniform combinations and have de-evolved into an aesthetics circus.

With every unveil they're taking the basic idea of a Football Uniform and trying to make it into something More. This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army.

"Your football team still only has 2 uni combos? What a primitive silly-ass backwards bunch of inbreds. Call me when you get chrome helmets and wings on your shoulderpads, Jim-Bob!

"Your team got a black alternate? LULZ, bitch. We've got 800,000 black/chrome/pewter/steel/anthracite/grey/gray/midnight/wesley snipes combos, and that's just this year! We're unveiling our BlackOut Chrome Anti-Matte Flex-Fit Carbon-Sex Death Swift unis next year, which feature Nike's Zip-Crotch technology!

"Oh, and....we've got some green and yellow crap in there to remind everybody of the team we used to be back before we raped the college uniform scene with our orgy of absurd combination quantities, random 'because we can' aesthetic additions, and hokey gimmickry all under the guise of The Future Of Football."

And somehow "the future of football" still doesn't involve a national championship.

This post is both funny and sad at the same time. The truth is like that.

Something really weird has happened with me this season, as far as Oregon football goes. I just can't make it through a game, I literally will sit down to watch, honestly marvel at the amazing athletic actions of the Duck players, then 10 minutes in, 20 minutes in, my mind wanders, and I lose all interest. It's like, as unbelievable as that team is, there's just no doubt that in my mind that when they leave that field, leave the hyper video game illusion behind, it’s all going to fall apart. And the uniforms are a BIG part of that. They just feel fake. I know it's just me, and the way I see things, but the aesthetics involved in the marketing, the corporate connections, the feeling of outside money bleeding into everything, the supposedly spontaneous twitter buzz that accompanies every reveal, the silly signs the team holds up to call plays, and especially the non-stop orgy of unrecognizable uniforms... it all just feels deeply, profoundly, fake. Even with the undeniably awesome athletes, and brilliance of the play calling, I can’t seem to shake the feeling that nothing I’m watching is real. The entire program is one big orange reality TV spray tan. It’s kind of depressing to me, really.

And I know, I’m just setting myself up for all the tired “old guy” jokes… that’s fine. And, who knows, this might actually be the year the really win something. But even if they do, I know I’ll feel exactly the same about the aesthetic decisions they’ve made. It won’t make it any easier to look at.

oh c'mon now, Oregon has no identity? you can't tell who they are? quit trollin!

thats one of the strongest identities around. would we recognize them in 2002? uh, hell yes! they would be even more unique then, then they are today. how many schools are trying to copy them now? yet, they are still a strong and unique team. and their identity reflects their brand as well as anyone elses. this is a school thats different in everything they do. they practice faster, run more plays, and Kelly's offensive system is as inventive as they come. (anyone see that read option bubble screen yesterday?) its totally appropriate for who they are.

the "i cant tell who they are" argument is lame. they have a consistent design every game. theres on screen graphics and announcers telling you who is playing constantly, and as much as you guys follow uniforms and CFB i cant believe you flip to a station and see that team is in whatever color and not know who it is. theres no possible way to be confused about who you are watching on tv.

OldschoolVikings, what does their record have to do with design? would this be a better design if they won a championship? would you like it better if they did? would it be a stronger identity if they went undefeated instead of losing 1 game? you know better than that

is it loud and obnoxious? depends on who you ask. older and/or more conservative people like simpler design. but do you think thats the type of people they are recruiting? or the type of people who are enrolling at their school?

Spleenator, tell us, how many students at Oregon hate the football team's uniforms?

you guys can reply if you want, but im not going down this rabbit hole too much. this is all i have to say about Oregon for now

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Yeah. I'm nominating this for POTD. So many quotables.

Done. Give the man a ribbon.

I don't entirely agree with the post, but it was still pretty damned good.

BB52Big.jpg

oh c'mon now, Oregon has no identity? you can't tell who they are? quit trollin!

thats one of the strongest identities around. would we recognize them in 2002? uh, hell yes! they would be even more unique then, then they are today. how many schools are trying to copy them now? yet, they are still a strong and unique team. and their identity reflects their brand as well as anyone elses. this is a school thats different in everything they do. they practice faster, run more plays, and Kelly's offensive system is as inventive as they come. (anyone see that read option bubble screen yesterday?) its totally appropriate for who they are.

the "i cant tell who they are" argument is lame. they have a consistent design every game. theres on screen graphics and announcers telling you who is playing constantly, and as much as you guys follow uniforms and CFB i cant believe you flip to a station and see that team is in whatever color and not know who it is. theres no possible way to be confused about who you are watching on tv.

OldschoolVikings, what does their record have to do with design? would this be a better design if they won a championship? would you like it better if they did? would it be a stronger identity if they went undefeated instead of losing 1 game? you know better than that

is it loud and obnoxious? depends on who you ask. older and/or more conservative people like simpler design. but do you think thats the type of people they are recruiting? or the type of people who are enrolling at their school?

Spleenator, tell us, how many students at Oregon hate the football team's uniforms?

you guys can reply if you want, but im not going down this rabbit hole too much. this is all i have to say about Oregon for now

OK,one point at a time;

1. I never said they had no identity... I agree they have a strong identity. So does the cast of Jersey Shore. Both feel fake to me. Not fake as in "non-existant", but fake as in "cynically manufactured by an outside entity".

2. I never said I can't tell who they are. I did say the uniforms were "unrecognizable", and that was probably a poor choice of words. What I meant was one uniform to the next... IMO... the uniforms do not nessesarily have much visual connection. Still... they are all definetly (sadly) recognizably Oregon.

3. Oh, no... I would not like the design any better if the won a championship. I'm pretty sure I'd hate it more. My point was, their aesthetics are all part of the "image over substance" movement (again... IMO!!) that makes me feel what I'm seeing isn't entirely real.

You are right, however... we have done this arguement to death.

I love the throwback colors for Colorado State. It's a shame they can't be worn more often.

Then again, CSU's normal color scheme is good as well. I wish they were an Adidas or Nike school, though. They'd look so much better.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

You will not have to worry about them winning a championship because the Old School look of the Crimson Tide will unplug their video game system offense and make them look like a team that had no competition.

spacer.png

...I want to have your babies....or, at least put some of this in my signature.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

OK,one point at a time;

1. I never said they had no identity... I agree they have a strong identity. So does the cast of Jersey Shore. Both feel fake to me. Not fake as in "non-existant", but fake as in "cynically manufactured by an outside entity".

2. I never said I can't tell who they are. I did say the uniforms were "unrecognizable", and that was probably a poor choice of words. What I meant was one uniform to the next... IMO... the uniforms do not nessesarily have much visual connection. Still... they are all definetly (sadly) recognizably Oregon.

3. Oh, no... I would not like the design any better if the won a championship. I'm pretty sure I'd hate it more. My point was, their aesthetics are all part of the "image over substance" movement (again... IMO!!) that makes me feel what I'm seeing isn't entirely real.

You are right, however... we have done this arguement to death.

that wasnt all in reply to you. some to CS85. i should have used quote feature but . . . lazyness

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Oregon's style of creating buzz should be brought to the NFL. Yeah, I said it. I wanna see these unique ideas come to pro football. Let's see some chrome helmets and multiple uni combinations.

I will say this: The fact that there are entire :censored:storms solely dedicated to Oregon's uniforms, says something about how powerful their image has become. I agree with OldSchoolVikings. A lot of this feels fake and Nike. But I think it's hard to say a team doesn't have an identity when they are deeply associated with the largest sports company on the planet. I'm not going to argue whether this is "good" or "right". That's for you to decide.

Oregon does not have a traditional identity. They have transcended that, and have created something I don't think is going to be replicated, no matter how hard other schools try.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I agree. Professional sports aesthetics don't always have to be bland and safe. The only thing I don't want to see, though, is the elimination of team colors.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived