2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give the Angels a 2-year window to utilize Pujols and C.J. and win at least one WS title before I call the winter blockbuster a disaster-of-a-deal they did with St. Louis.

They didn't do any deal with St. Louis. They signed him as a free agent.

So before the Yankees traded Burnett they were said to have about 2 million to spend on a DH... but they wanted to trade Burnett for cap relief... then they go an sign Ibanez (1.1m) and Chavez (900k) = 2m. I just dont understand why the yankees felt they needed to say Burnett had to be traded before they could spend the money that they were going to already spend.

Not that it really matters and its better off that AJ is gone. I think Ibanez will do fine as a part time DH and you already know what youre gonna get for Chavez.

There is no salary cap in baseball.

Technically no.. but the new CBA heavily taxes teams who go over the luxury threshold. Far more than before. Yankees are trying to get their payroll in the $185-189 range by 2014 when that part comes in to play.

Anyways here are my predictions.

AL East: Yankees

AL Central: Tigers

AL West: Rangers

AL WC: Angels/Red Sox

AL MVP- Adrian Gonzalez

AL CY- CC Sabathia

AL ROY- Yu Darvish (it was either him or Matt Moore)

NL East: Phillies

NL Central: Reds

NL West: Giants

NL WC: Diamondbacks/Cardinals

NL MVP- Troy Tulowitzki

NL CY- Matt Cain

NL ROY- Bryce Harper

WS- Yankees defeat Giants

AL East: Yankees

AL Wildcard: Angels

NL Central: Brewers

NL Wildcard: Diamondbacks

Playoffs:

ALDS: Yankees over Rangers, Tigers over Angels

NLDS: Phillies over Diamondbacks, Giants over Brewers

ALCS: Yankees over Tigers

NLCS: Giants over Phillies

World Series: Yankees over Giants

AL East: Red Sox

AL WC: Angels/Yankees

AL MVP- Albert Pujols

AL CY- Felix Hernandez

AL ROY- Yu Darvish

NL Central: Reds

NL West: D-Backs

NL WC: Cardinals/Nationals

NL MVP- Joey Votto

NL CY- Roy Halladay

NL ROY- Bryce Harper

WS- Rangers over Reds

Is it a sure thing that the duel wild card will be in this year?

The Commish is certainly pushing hard for it. You would think it would have been decided upon before pitchers and catchers reported, but whatever.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Fine, why not.

AL East: New York Yankees

AL Central: Detroit Tigers

AL West: Texas Rangers

AL WC: Tampa Bay Rays/Los Angeles Angels

AL MVP: Adrian Gonzalez, Boston Red Sox

AL CY: Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers

AL ROY: Matt Moore, Tampa Bay Rays

NL East: Philadelphia Phillies

NL Central: Cincinnati Reds

NL West: San Francisco Giants

AL WC: St. Louis Cardinals/Washington Nationals

NL MVP: Matt Kemp, Los Angeles Dodgers

NL CY: Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies

NL ROY: Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals

AL WC: Angels over Rays

ALDS: Angels over Yankees

ALDS: Tigers over Rangers

ALCS: Tigers over Angels

NL WC: Cardinals over Nationals

NLDS: Phillies over Cardinals

NLDS: Reds over Giants

NLCS: Phillies over Reds

World Series: Tigers over Phillies

spacer.png

Seeing split wild card predictions just reminds me of how fricken idiotic the new rule is, especially in light of what happened on the final day of 2011.

Hi! I understand that what made the end of the 2011 so special was the fact that it was a coincidental aberration the likes of which we likely wouldn't see again in our lifetimes! Do you? I'd rather institute something that handicaps the Wild Card rather than keep the status quo in the vain hope that lightning will strike twice.

NL Central: Brewers

NL Wildcard: Diamondbacks

The Brewers are gonna be lucky if they can finish in 3rd place this year, much less win the division. It's basically a two team race between the Cardinals and Reds.

Good Lord, the NL Central's going to be a hot mess this season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

AL WC: Blue Jays/Royals

As much as I would love for this to happen.... you really, truly think the Jays and Royals are better than the Yankees and Red Sox?

Not necessarily better per se... but I think the Yanks and Sawx will disappoint this year (which means ESPN will become the Phillies Network instead). I especially don't get the hype lingering around the Red Sox. They had a disastrous offseason and are coming off two straight years of missing the playoffs.

And I also think the Jays and Royals will really surprise people this year.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

AL WC: Blue Jays/Royals

As much as I would love for this to happen.... you really, truly think the Jays and Royals are better than the Yankees and Red Sox?

Not necessarily better per se... but I think the Yanks and Sawx will disappoint this year (which means ESPN will become the Phillies Network instead). I especially don't get the hype lingering around the Red Sox. They had a disastrous offseason and are coming off two straight years of missing the playoffs.

And I also think the Jays and Royals will really surprise people this year.

I know you're a Boston sports hater, but the "hype" is because their lineup has these guys:

adrian-gonzalez-oprh-13324.jpg

PicImg_MLB_APR_12_c150.jpeg

mlb_g_pedroia_300.jpg

image.jpg

fantasy_i_youkilis_in_300.jpg

Their bullpen is looking solid. If they can convince Roy Oswalt to sign, they have a pretty good rotation. They'll contend.

EDIT: And, the Red Sox were veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery close to making the playoffs in 2011. You make it sound like they're coming off two straight 80-win seasons.

spacer.png

Though that does remind me of one player who almost certainly won't repeat his 2011 success, in Jacoby Ellsbury.

And, yes, if you wanted to say Curtis Granderson won't repeat his 2011 success, either, I would also agree. Just to be totally fair about this.

I bet he's wishing this offseason he was a free agent, not next.

~~~~

I know you're a Boston sports hater, but the "hype" is because their lineup has these guys:

[long list of pictures]

Yeah, yeah, "BEST TEAM EVAR", blah blah blah. They still have yet to prove that they can come together and win with chemistry.

They won 90 games and were two Papelbon blown saves away from the playoffs...

spacer.png

Archived