2012 NFL Draft Cap

mightynine

I was just browsing for them on Ebay. These Sports Specialities caps are ridiculously popular and priced. How did that happen? Why are they so damn popular? I loved them, fit much better than 5950's. I still have a 1986 red sox fitted one (bought it the day after Clemens struck out 20 Mariners)

Snapbacks in general are back in style, and the Sports Specialties script ones are iconic, probably due to NWA rocking the LA Kings version. That's why.

Bingo. Just about to post that.

I remember in the late 80's buying my 1st SS hat...if you wanted a non-mlb wool hat SS was all there was to choose from especially if you wanted a hat from an out of town team...I think there was one other style that looked like crap but SS was pretty much the gold standard of hats and they had one style and that was the small arial city name/large script team name...sometimes it would be reversed...my absolute favorite was the black chicago blackhawks...the script just popped off the hat unlike any other team.

with regard to nwa...they are basically responsible for SS hats and the starter brand blowing up...and a huge reason why sports apparel became a mega-industry...they wore the first fashion caps (black dodgers) and blew up the satin started jacket trend, created the starter parka trend...the only other group that I could think of back then that really wore sports gear was chuck d and public enemy but nwa made sports gear their iconic look.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PICT0235.jpg

Nostalgia.

Favorite cap series ever.

I have a couple from when I was little.

I believe I have a Georgia Tech sharktooth cap and a Phoenix Suns sharktooth cap.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

PICT0235.jpg

Nostalgia.

Favorite cap series ever.

I have a couple from when I was little.

I believe I have a Georgia Tech sharktooth cap and a Phoenix Suns sharktooth cap.

Those have made a comeback. I've seen modern companies come out with new snapback caps in that design.

spacer.png

The only thing I admire about snapbacks is the unique scripts and designs they (or at least a decent amount of them) can pull off. It's a major gripe I've had with 59Fifty's for a while now since I'm tired of being limited to recolors if I'm looking for a decent fashion cap. Here's to hoping New Era takes a hint

Midway.png

The only thing I admire about snapbacks is the unique scripts and designs they (or at least a decent amount of them) can pull off. It's a major gripe I've had with 59Fifty's for a while now since I'm tired of being limited to recolors if I'm looking for a decent fashion cap. Here's to hoping New Era takes a hint

What prevents New Era or any other company from putting said designs and scripts onto fitted caps? I don't care much for snapbacks, but I see no reason why they have to be limited to the "cool" designs and such.

I was just browsing for them on Ebay. These Sports Specialities caps are ridiculously popular and priced. How did that happen? Why are they so damn popular? I loved them, fit much better than 5950's. I still have a 1986 red sox fitted one (bought it the day after Clemens struck out 20 Mariners)

Snapbacks in general are back in style, and the Sports Specialties script ones are iconic, probably due to NWA rocking the LA Kings version. That's why.

I remember in the late 80's buying my 1st SS hat...if you wanted a non-mlb wool hat SS was all there was to choose from especially if you wanted a hat from an out of town team...I think there was one other style that looked like crap but SS was pretty much the gold standard of hats and they had one style and that was the small arial city name/large script team name...sometimes it would be reversed...my absolute favorite was the black chicago blackhawks...the script just popped off the hat unlike any other team.

with regard to nwa...they are basically responsible for SS hats and the starter brand blowing up...and a huge reason why sports apparel became a mega-industry...they wore the first fashion caps (black dodgers) and blew up the satin started jacket trend, created the starter parka trend...the only other group that I could think of back then that really wore sports gear was chuck d and public enemy but nwa made sports gear their iconic look.

And don't forget the Los Angeles Raiders as well. I think that might have been my first speculative collector's item purchase. I need to find that one now.

And don't forget the Los Angeles Raiders as well. I think that might have been my first speculative collector's item purchase. I need to find that one now.

My dad (big Raiders fan, hence the Raiders banners in my sig) has an old SS LA Raiders cap, just like NWA in the video.

I'd sell it, but sentimental value outweighs monetary value.

spacer.png

I hate snap backs and the current trend.

The script logos and plastic backs just look old and cheap. I don't get why they are coming back. I really hope New Era sticks with mostly fitteds.

I saw someone say you can't curve the brim? Are you kidding me...

Just because they don't come curved doesn't mean you can't bend it however you want. When it starts flat, as opposed to a prebent flex fit, you can actually bend it however you like! Imagine that.

I hope like other years, the draft day caps are one version, and more come out throughout the year. I'm not a huge fan of the many 2 color hats. I'm looking forward to various colors and styles like New Era has with MLB.

2ly2w09.jpg

I just hate the 5950 for new era. The HIGH crown and GIANT bill kill them for me. The old sports specialites caps at least could be fitted to the head (no I'm not taking a razor blade and pliers to the white crap to flatten it out)

I hate snap backs and the current trend.

The script logos and plastic backs just look old and cheap. I don't get why they are coming back. I really hope New Era sticks with mostly fitteds.

I saw someone say you can't curve the brim? Are you kidding me...

Just because they don't come curved doesn't mean you can't bend it however you want. When it starts flat, as opposed to a prebent flex fit, you can actually bend it however you like! Imagine that.

I hope like other years, the draft day caps are one version, and more come out throughout the year. I'm not a huge fan of the many 2 color hats. I'm looking forward to various colors and styles like New Era has with MLB.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

LEWJ, I did like this Sharktooth sytle too...

SanFrancisco49ERSSharkToothSnapbackHatRedA.jpg

but I liked these Zubaz style caps the best!

476907559_tp.jpg

I had both these hats when I was a kid.

I can't wait to see the New Era hats. I've been looking for a good 49ers hat for a while now because Reebok has just not made good hats lately.

Here's my dad's old LA Raiders Sports Specialties hat.

eba29fea.jpg?t=1329425650

8592b9af.jpg?t=1329425658

63c59cbb.jpg?t=1329425664

It's kind of grungy because it's been in the basement for at least seven years. No, it is not for sale, though evidently I could get a lot of money for it.

The Sports Specialties snapback Los Angeles Rams hats are pretty damn pricy, even on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Los-Angeles-Rams-script-Snapback-hat-Dr-Dre-/260889081424?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item3cbe337650

I love the way the blue and yellow works on the black. Great hat.

And this is from someone who hates the style of most snapbacks!

spacer.png

Getting back to the topic of the NFL and New Era... are there any plans for New Era to bring back the old baseball-style monogram caps?

VDS2009zoom1.JPGVDS2044zoom1.JPGVDS2021zoom1.JPG

Sorry about diverting everything.

Anyway, those caps are awesome. I've never seen them before. I'd have to say that the chances of those making a (welcomed) comeback at the hands of New Era are slim to none, though.

spacer.png

LEWJ, I did like this Sharktooth sytle too...

SanFrancisco49ERSSharkToothSnapbackHatRedA.jpg

but I liked these Zubaz style caps the best!

476907559_tp.jpg

I had both these hats when I was a kid.

I can't wait to see the New Era hats. I've been looking for a good 49ers hat for a while now because Reebok has just not made good hats lately.

I don't know if you are aware, but they have been making new hats with zubaz brims:

21-03631-Y.jpg

A guy at my school wears this one everyday.

spacer.png

Archived