Your teams worst all- time look?

UnclearInitial

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tonyromo.jpg

That just might be the worst uniform combination in pro sports. Hideous from top to bottom - the non-matching blues and silvers, the ugly thick numbers, the cheap-looking stripes with bizarre, unnecessary black outlines, the lack of a wordmark to match the navy jerseys... terrible. And what really makes it horrendous is that they wear that mess pretty much every game, when they've had several perfectly-fine alternatives over the years and would look great wearing their team-color jersey at home like everybody else.

You KNOW it's bad when even the Cowboys' practice jerseys look better than what they wear in games.

220px-Tony_Romo.jpg

For the record, I think the '90s double-stars were the best look the Cowboys have ever worn, and they could bring those back exactly the way they were and instantly become one of the best-dressed teams in sports (let alone the NFL).

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Falcons

1990atlantab.png

Yes, that is correct. The Falcons replaced one set of shoulder numbers with a patch. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

when did the falcons wear the whites with the red numbers that season?

September 23, 1990 against the 49ers.

Chris Miller

That's interesting, I'm shocked more teams haven't gone down that road. Instead of simply a different jersey or throwback for the 3rd uniform.

I've always heard that was a manufacturer's screw-up, not a choice by the team. Since that was the year they changed from the red helmets to the black helmets and switched back to black jerseys at home, they intended to go with black numbers (and a black outline around the Falcon logo on the white jerseys. Their manufacturer (Russell I believe) didn't get the memo and shipped them jerseys with red numbers and a red outline around the logo. I just didn't remember that they made it into a regular season game but that photo of Miller from 9/23/1990 refutes that - for some reason I thought those were only used in pre-season and the jerseys with the black numbers made it to the team for the regular season.

Present day. Hideous green pants and royal blue numbers/stripes match nothing on the helmet.

tonyromo.jpg

Any talk amongst management about fixing this?

While the Cowboys white uniform style (with all the mis-matches) will be retained I'm hoping that Nike can do a better job with the pants this time than that seasick silver-blue-green that has been used for the past decade or so. Personally I wouldn't consider a slight modification of the pants color to be closer to the helmet to be the kind of change they would have to submit in advance to the NFL Properties office.

It would be nice if maybe Nike could get back to something like this:

Roger-Staubach-Cowboys-2.jpg

A return to these would be much welcomed:

Mike%20Greenwell.png

Yeah...no. Those uniforms were outdated by '06. Though a return to the stirrups...one can only dream.

I don't understand what makes these outdated. The current roads are effectively black and grey. i know its blue, but I've tried for 3 yrs to see it as blue and it still looks black to me. They have no color, piping, or anything that adds anything to what is the most bland and boring uniform in the league. I love the sox but i can't stand the current road uniforms. Please, either go back to these or start a new road look from scratch. The current roads are BRUTAL.

Mike%20Greenwell.png

Yeah...no. Those uniforms were outdated by '06. Though a return to the stirrups...one can only dream.

I don't understand what makes these outdated. The current roads are effectively black and grey. i know its blue, but I've tried for 3 yrs to see it as blue and it still looks black to me. They have no color, piping, or anything that adds anything to what is the most bland and boring uniform in the league. I love the so but i can't stand these.

IMO, the look just got tiring after fifteen years. The jerseys aren't that great, and they were kept a few years too long. They looked great in the 90s and early 2000s, but around 05 and 06, I just got tired of them. They don't have the classic "feel" of the new (can we still call jerseys adopted in 2009 "new"?) jerseys do, and they're not as iconic as the home uniform which has been unchanged since the days of Bobby Doerr. It was just time to hit reset on the roadies, and the redesign hit the ball out of the park, and remains one of my favorite Red Sox jerseys to date.

I honestly think that the 1990-2008 roadies wouldn't be nearly as beloved as they are had the Sox not broken the curse in them.

And, nameplates. God, how I despise nameplates.

Don't get me wrong, the current roadies could use red piping, perhaps red outline on the navy letters, and then maybe more people would see them like I do. But even as they stand now, I still like them more than the 1990-2008 roads.

spacer.png

Mike%20Greenwell.png

I don't understand what makes these outdated. The current roads are effectively black and grey. i know its blue, but I've tried for 3 yrs to see it as blue and it still looks black to me. They have no color, piping, or anything that adds anything to what is the most bland and boring uniform in the league. I love the so but i can't stand these.

IMO, the look just got tiring after fifteen years. The jerseys aren't that great, and they were kept a few years too long. They looked great in the 90s and early 2000s, but around 05 and 06, I just got tired of them. They don't have the classic "feel" of the new (can we still call jerseys adopted in 2009 "new"?) jerseys do, and they're not as iconic as the home uniform which has been unchanged since the days of Bobby Doerr. It was just time to hit reset on the roadies, and the redesign hit the ball out of the park, and remains one of my favorite Red Sox jerseys to date.

I honestly think that the 1990-2008 roadies wouldn't be nearly as beloved as they are had the Sox not broken the curse in them.

Don't get me wrong, the current roadies could use red piping, perhaps red outline on the navy letters, and then maybe more people would see them like I do. But even as they stand now, I still like them more than the 1990-2008 roads.

i actually remember when they switched to the red road lettering. I was so happy because i always hated the black and grey road uniforms from the 80's. I was horrified when we switched back with just a little fancier font a few years ago. For me It had nothing to do with the world series connection. They are just nicer looking, much brighter in my opinion.

I agree the current ones would be fine with some red accent to letters and some piping. It could change the whole look, brighten them up and make the blue actually look blue.

Mike%20Greenwell.png

i actually remember when they switched to the red road lettering. I was so happy because i always hated the black and grey road uniforms from the 80's. I was horrified when we switched back with just a little fancier font a few years ago. For me It had nothing to do with the world series connection. They are just nicer looking, much brighter in my opinion.

I agree the current ones would be fine with some red accent to letters and some piping. It could change the whole look, brighten them up and make the blue actually look blue.

I hate the road uniforms of the 1980s, and the 1990-2008 uniforms were a vast upgrade. Still, the 2009 upgrade still perfected it. IMO.

Trust me, I know this opinion is unpopular. I think I posted it in the unpopular opinions thread about nine thousand times.

spacer.png

The Black jays have already been mentioned 5 times, so I think I'll elaborate on the leafs' Ballard-Era set:

The design isn't terrible and aside from what it was worn during, there's one thing that bugs me - the socks.

sittler1.jpg

That's the only time in history the Leafs haven't worn their triple three-striped socks (with maybe a 90-year old exception or so).

kessel.jpg?w=620

7014062_1040039264.jpg

display_image.jpg?x=859239

d955f76340dba5528622ca1524d1.jpeg

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Black jays have already been mentioned 5 times, so I think I'll elaborate on the leafs' Ballard-Era set:

The design isn't terrible and aside from what it was worn during, there's one thing that bugs me - the socks.

sittler1.jpg

That's the only time in history the Leafs haven't worn their triple three-striped socks (with maybe a 90-year old exception or so).

Yes it is. The white shoulder yokes along with the logos are embarrassingly plain. Same with socks and everything else about this travesty.

I don't think I realized that the Cowboys had two different pants... Have they ever worn the non-green version with the white jersey?

Not the regular white jersey with the sleeve stripes. They did wear the "true silver" pants with the white "modern double star" Apex jerseys back in 1994.

Not sure if this will show up; it's a cached image:

71499105.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD602B4B62C3A38EDB83F84B3AC647FA350DB1F30A76ED24ABF06BF04B24B4128C

Here's the URL also: 71499105.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA

Archived