Peyton Manning Sweepstakes

Cujo

If you want to go back to January my prediction was that San Francisco would land Peyton Manning.

After seeing what Alex Smith did in the playoffs I do think the Niners owe it to him to stick with him especially after all the other times they stuck with him when it seemed like everyone outside of the orginzation was screaming for them to get rid of him.

But then again this is the NFL and nobody's job is ever truly safe.

Little surprised the 49ers are getting in it this late but not shocked.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to go back to January my prediction was that San Francisco would land Peyton Manning.

After seeing what Alex Smith did in the playoffs I do think the Niners owe it to him to stick with him especially after all the other times they stuck with him when it seemed like everyone outside of the orginzation was screaming for them to get rid of him.

Well, the reports for the 49ers contract talks with Smith go from he's our guy from Harbaugh to "It's in his court" from York. So obviously the 49ers and Smith are not on the same page right at the moment. Smith was removed from the roster Tuesday due to not being signed, but isn't that the day the worked out Peyton and then brought in a Team doctor on Wednesday to check him out?

I have no idea what's going to happen, but you should read some of the mercury news comments. People are saying Harbaugh is throwing Smith under the bus because he's going after Manning. Sure Smith was the 49ers guy a few days ago, but it's pretty obvious something in the contract talks stalled. Why? Even those have conflicting reports. One being the length of the deal and/or guaranteed money, while other being the details are just getting worked out.

What annoys me is people bank on what they hear such as "Alex is Our Guy" - Harbaugh, but then Harbaugh a few days later works Peyton Manning and all of a sudden people are calling for Harbaugh's head, he doesn't know what he's doing, blah, blah, blah. We don't know if something changed or what. Maybe the 49ers tried to sign Alex and he's not budging right now.

So it's not necessarily a slight on Smith or anyone. Besides, Peyton just worked out, it's not like the 49ers made him an offer yet. But what if Smith and 49ers really couldn't agree to a new deal and Smith went to a different team, and the 49ers missed out on Manning? Then you'd hear the same people that called for Harbaugh's head for pursuing Manning, they'd call for Harbaugh's head for not going after Manning while letting Smith walk.

i'm not surprised at all that the 49ers are in the Manning Pursuit nor this late. For me, and I'm only going on the one-sided reports, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say the 49ers tried to sign Smith, and something broke down and Smith is holding out, so the 49ers have to try and protect themselves at that position. But when both sides said last weekend they were getting the details finalized and then suddenly Smith is not signed and not on the roster Tuesday? I knew it was a matter of time before the 49ers jumped into this Peyton Sweepstakes. How'd I know? Going by reports that Smith wanted a 5 year or more deal, told me if that's true, it probably isn't going to happen, at least not with Alex Smith. Maybe it wasn't the length, but guaranteed money was too much. Who knows, but as of now, Smith is a FA as is Manning - even if the sheriff is not as well maintained as he used to be, or maybe he'll be better.

Oh and by owing it to Smith - while I support Smith and will support him if on the team, the 49ers don't owe him anything, but a thank you for a great season. Regardless of how he was handled the last six seasons, the NFL isn't about loyalty -while not lost completely, it's rarely used anymore in deciding who to sign - at least imo.

But yeah after sticking with him for so long that's what tells me something in contract talks is not going the 49ers way and it's more of "what Alex Smith wants to do" situation.

Well, the reports for the 49ers contract talks with Smith go from he's our guy from Harbaugh to "It's in his court" from York. So obviously the 49ers and Smith are not on the same page right at the moment. Smith was removed from the roster Tuesday due to not being signed, but isn't that the day the worked out Peyton and then brought in a Team doctor on Wednesday to check him out?

I have no idea what's going to happen, but you should read some of the mercury news comments. People are saying Harbaugh is throwing Smith under the bus because he's going after Manning. Sure Smith was the 49ers guy a few days ago, but it's pretty obvious something in the contract talks stalled. Why? Even those have conflicting reports. One being the length of the deal and/or guaranteed money, while other being the details are just getting worked out.

What annoys me is people bank on what they hear such as "Alex is Our Guy" - Harbaugh, but then Harbaugh a few days later works Peyton Manning and all of a sudden people are calling for Harbaugh's head, he doesn't know what he's doing, blah, blah, blah. We don't know if something changed or what. Maybe the 49ers tried to sign Alex and he's not budging right now.

So it's not necessarily a slight on Smith or anyone. Besides, Peyton just worked out, it's not like the 49ers made him an offer yet. But what if Smith and 49ers really couldn't agree to a new deal and Smith went to a different team, and the 49ers missed out on Manning? Then you'd hear the same people that called for Harbaugh's head for pursuing Manning, they'd call for Harbaugh's head for not going after Manning while letting Smith walk.

i'm not surprised at all that the 49ers are in the Manning Pursuit nor this late. For me, and I'm only going on the one-sided reports, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say the 49ers tried to sign Smith, and something broke down and Smith is holding out, so the 49ers have to try and protect themselves at that position. But when both sides said last weekend they were getting the details finalized and then suddenly Smith is not signed and not on the roster Tuesday? I knew it was a matter of time before the 49ers jumped into this Peyton Sweepstakes. How'd I know? Going by reports that Smith wanted a 5 year or more deal, told me if that's true, it probably isn't going to happen, at least not with Alex Smith. Maybe it wasn't the length, but guaranteed money was too much. Who knows, but as of now, Smith is a FA as is Manning - even if the sheriff is not as well maintained as he used to be, or maybe he'll be better.

Oh and by owing it to Smith - while I support Smith and will support him if on the team, the 49ers don't owe him anything, but a thank you for a great season. Regardless of how he was handled the last six seasons, the NFL isn't about loyalty -while not lost completely, it's rarely used anymore in deciding who to sign - at least imo.

But yeah after sticking with him for so long that's what tells me something in contract talks is not going the 49ers way and it's more of "what Alex Smith wants to do" situation.

If anybody "owes it" to anybody (and I don't agree that anybody owes anything to anybody), Smith owes it to the organization for the chances they gave him. He'd have been riding the pine and become a career #2 or 3 a long time ago on most franchises. Also, the Peyton thing gives the 49ers a little more leverage in their negotiations with Alex Smith. It has to at least cross Alex Smith's mind... where else is he going to play if he doesn't re-up with San Fran? His market is shrinking with every passing day.

Also, 5 years, $90 million seems to be the price for Peyton Manning, resembling his last contract with the Colts that gave him about $61 million over the first two years. If he's healthy, I'm fine with this.

IUe6Hvh.png

If anybody "owes it" to anybody (and I don't agree that anybody owes anything to anybody), Smith owes it to the organization for the chances they gave him. He'd have been riding the pine and become a career #2 or 3 a long time ago on most franchises.

Most franchises don't have a new offensive coordinator every year. It's easy to see why Alex Smith got so many "chances."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If anybody "owes it" to anybody (and I don't agree that anybody owes anything to anybody), Smith owes it to the organization for the chances they gave him. He'd have been riding the pine and become a career #2 or 3 a long time ago on most franchises.

Most franchises don't have a new offensive coordinator every year. It's easy to see why Alex Smith got so many "chances."

This is true, but the NFL is about adapting to win, and it definitely wasn't all Alex's fault, but most feel he should have adapted a while ago. I give him credit for sticking with it, though. I'm actually okay with Alex Smith resigning with the 49ers, but not at a large multi-million dollar, lengthy-year contract.

I'm kind of on the fence with Peyton Manning as a 49er. I mean I don't think one blow to the neck and/or back and he's done - if that was the case the doctors I don't believe would have cleared him to play. That's kind of like someone saying "You're cleared to play hockey, but one check and you're done" - If a team doctor told me that, I would be really concerned about his credentials and seek a second opinion. Sure freak things happen, but...

But my real concern is if Manning comes to 49ers, Smith leaves and Manning doesn't pan out, now were out Smith and Manning, and I'm not sure I believe Harbaugh in that Kaepernick is ready. I'd much rather sign McNabb for a 1yr. deal for a backup and/or starter depending on what Smith does, and then if it doesn't work out, the 49ers haven't spent the big $$ on Manning, and can see where Kaepernick.

If the 49ers do get Manning, I hope it works out, because if it doesn't, it's a huge price to pay at least in terms of cash, and maybe more.

Seriously what other team would be interested in Alex Smith, maybe Seattle.

Seattle probably would be the leading contender. Alex, while raised in Southern California, was born in Seattle. Also maybe Cleveland - they run a similar offense to SF. Maybe Miami (less likely) but it may depend on who doesn't land Manning and still needs a QB - not because Alex is waiting, but because other teams may be waiting to see if they get Manning or don't get Manning.

If the reports are to be believed, the Niners were actually the first in the game, having had Peyton work out for them within hours of the start of free agency. It was just a secret until today.

If the reports are to be believed, the Niners were actually the first in the game, having had Peyton work out for them within hours of the start of free agency. It was just a secret until today.

Free agency started on Tuesday, Manning visited Denver last Friday.

For what it's worth, since the lifetime contract with Tennessee or an ownership share in the team would have to be approved by all 32 NFL owners, it's pretty pointless to even discuss since I can think of at least one team that wouldn't approve.

In the NFL, some guys are lucky if they get a second chance. I understand Smith has had 7 offensive coordinators in 7 seasons, but at some point in the first six years he could've been expected to adapt and, it's just my opinion, wouldn't have been given so many opportunities with most other teams.

IUe6Hvh.png

This is true, but the NFL is about adapting to win, and it definitely wasn't all Alex's fault, but most feel he should have adapted a while ago.

I understand Smith has had 7 offensive coordinators in 7 seasons, but at some point in the first six years he could've been expected to adapt

Adapt to what?? How easy is it to "adapt" to your offense and opposing NFL defenses if you have a different playbook every year?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This is true, but the NFL is about adapting to win, and it definitely wasn't all Alex's fault, but most feel he should have adapted a while ago.

I understand Smith has had 7 offensive coordinators in 7 seasons, but at some point in the first six years he could've been expected to adapt

Adapt to what?? How easy is it to "adapt" to your offense and opposing NFL defenses if you have a different playbook every year?

I didn't mean playbook necessarily - sure 7 coordinators in 7 years is rough, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse as why (to many) feel he hasn't developed or hasn't had the success rate he should have had. Part of this is the fact is he was drafted overall #1 with high expectations, which didn't work out well until this past season. I'm not saying it was only Alex that had to adapt - the organization needed to, and I didn't see it until the offseason last season when Harbaugh came in and Baalke took over,

Twenty years later, another quarterback goes from the Colts to the Broncos. Maybe this one can duplicate the success the first one had?

Well this one isn't going to have as lengthy a career with the Broncos.

Actually I think in the Broncos circumstances this is a pretty good move. If you don't trust Tebow as the future, you've got a guy who can guide the franchise (fitness and form permitting) for 3-4 years at least, whilst you either develop your own next QB or begin to keep an eye out for someone to bring in as QB, and you get to trade Tebow at a time when his stock is reasonably high.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived