Cleveland Scene Article on Chief Wahoo

mania

My stance was never that they were the same thing, just that to many they do not feel that their faith is a choice, its just who they are.

I understand and absolutely respect that. Agree to disagree, I guess.

Let's get back to talking about the logo, shall we?

spacer.png

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My stance was never that they were the same thing, just that to many they do not feel that their faith is a choice, its just who they are.

Solid post, solid idea.

So the Indians' logo. Racist logo or most racist logo? Discuss.

Not at all, sir... just tired of talking' about it.

Same here. I want this thread graveyarded.

It's a shame that's not your choice.

Wait... no, it's not a shame at all.

See, sometimes people have opinions with which you don't agree. But, hey, as long as they do so respectfully, they get to discuss them here. Trying to shut down opposition to your own opinions isn't being respectful. Neither is acting as a backseat mod in that case.

Are we clear? Good.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Once again, switch to this logo. It better than the block C.

2271.gif

2273.gif

I don't really like the Indians script, it looks too cartoonish. But I love that C logo.

Solid post, solid idea.

I don't know if we've mentioned the Browns in this thread, so, just to meet the quota: Wahoo is more insensitive than the Browns' logo, but Wahoo is a better symbol of Cleveland than Art Modell.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It really doesn't. Redskins is a racial slur. That's why people want to see it changed.

That doesn't apply to any of your other examples.

Yes it does. If the small amount of people who find Cheif Wahoo offensive get their way and see it nixed, it becomes open season for all the other P.C. liberals, minorities, people with an axe to grind, etc.. to level similar complaints against other logos and demand they be axed... Like the examples I listed in my original post.

It sets a precedent and that was my point. Nice to see it go completely over your heads

A precedent that teams can no longer base their identity on racial slurs? The horror....

Is the term "Redskin" really used as a derogatory slur anymore? But no it sets a precedent in sports logos that everything has to be "P.C." and not offend anyone.

Once again, switch to this logo. It better than the block C.

2271.gif

2273.gif

I've never been a fan of that logo or those wordmarks. I get what they were going for, it it just looked like a 6-year old designed them. I'd be in favour of a script in the same font as the block "C", though.

Most. I can't think of anything really close (the name, however, is nowhere near the most - or really offensive at all, for that matter). All current logos I can think of depicting Natives are all realistic drawings, not caricatures.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

It really doesn't. Redskins is a racial slur. That's why people want to see it changed.

Yes it does. If the small amount of people who find Cheif Wahoo offensive get their way and see it nixed, it becomes open season for all the other P.C. liberals, minorities, people with an axe to grind, etc.. to level similar complaints against other logos and demand they be axed... Like the examples I listed in my original post.

No it doesn't, the other examples did not include logos or other items that has historically a racist context to it. The caricatures featured in the logo are also among the propaganda that has been historically used to demean, and dehumanize a race. Seriously the other examples you posted comes off to me like you were just blindly throwing darts at the wall, and where ever it lands, hey I'll just post it.

Bring back the dark navy, use the C from the script Cleveland from 1994-2010 or so, and call it a day. Keep the scripts so they match the scoreboard. Easy.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

But no it sets a precedent in sports logos that everything has to be "P.C." and not offend anyone.

So, you feel it is a bad thing that there are not enough racist logos in sports?

Is the term "Redskin" really used as a derogatory slur anymore? But no it sets a precedent in sports logos that everything has to be "P.C." and not offend anyone.

It's not used in the vernacular as much, but that's primarily because it is so blatantly racist and derogatory that the more bigoted segments of the population can't even use it in a "coded language" context. By a similar token, the terms "Injun" and "Colored" aren't used often, primarily because they have such a grossly pejorative nature that you just can't get away with using them in polite or impolite conversation in a 21st Century context.

tl;dr: It's so bad even racists know better than to use it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How is that bad?

PvO6ZWJ.png

And yet you still can't find a reason to keep Wahoo around based on its own merits... sounds like you're the one with an axe to grind with minorities and "P.C. liberals."

Someone telling you that it's not acceptable to use racial slurs (regardless of how "mainstream" they are or not) is not "P.C." Maybe you could try not being such a low-rent, white-trash bigot and get over yourself.

Don't tell me I'm being offensive BTW, then the PC police win! :P

Let's discuss what we consider to be the merits - or, lack thereof - of the Cleveland Indians' "Chief Wahoo" logo without resorting to labeling one another as "bigots", "racists", "P.C. police", or "liberals... with an axe to grind", shall we? If that proves to be too much for the members of this community to handle, this thread WILL be closed and sent to the Graveyard.

Thanks in advance.

On 5/3/2012 at 6:10 PM, ltjets21 said:

At least chief wahoo isn't violent, this was a horrible stereotype.

Dumping that logo...another example of unchecked political correctness.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You know what, I like Chief Wahoo. Do I like it enough to die on the cross for it? No, not really. But I like having it around, just because Major League is such a reliable comedy, which I also like having around. Had it not been about the Indians or not featured that logo, I don't think I could muster up any defense of it. But it was there, and it was there for some pretty good Indians teams in the '90s, too, so it's a little harder to consign to the dustbin than it probably ought to be.

I would say at this point, after all the time and energy spent over debating whether it's a "racist logo" (which it probably is), I would offer that it's almost transcended the entire debate and now only represents nothing so much as the Cleveland Indians baseball club. I can say that I've never looked at Chief Wahoo and felt empowered to go out and oppress some Indians, nor have I felt that it's confirmed my fallacious preconceived notions about Native Americans being inordinately effusive. I've never even thought of stereotypical Indian caricatures in general as tending toward grinning like idiots, anyway. That is more of a black caricature thing, if anything, and if you want to howl over Wahoo because it's actually a coded black stereotype, that'd probably be a valid complaint.

So it probably should go, but I'm not in any hurry to see it go, and I can't dig deep to demand that it go. I guess I just sort of disregard the whole thing as a benign relic not worth my consideration. Like Cleveland! ka-boom!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived