Junior Seau Dead

Cujo

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but how many millions upon millions of kids play football and don't end up with CTE.

... that we know of because CTE is diagnosed AFTER death.

Not true. While it's easier to diagnose after death, there are plenty of former players, former boxers, etc. who have been diagnosed with it currently.

That being said, pcgd's point is still horrifically stupid and ignorant.

Let me rephrase it in the same kind of terms.

I'm sorry but how many millions upon millions of people smoke and don't end up with lung cancer.

But I would say that right now, letting your child play football is like letting him join the military, but less honorable:it leads to horrible despair at best and death at worst. If you don't have a horrible lot in life to escape, why do it?

Probably the most ignorant comment about the military I've ever read.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Take the suits of armor that the players wear out of the equation and maybe you force the players to tackle more safely. What are the concussion rates in rugby?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That may be something to focus on the equipment now is harder and stronger and it could be an issue. Maybe we can have everyone where the mike oldish style cushioned crown helmets

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

a question:

is there a point in which a league is held responsible in court for for not doing anything about concussions.

Yes. The NFL is facing many concussion-related lawsuits right now, with the plaintiffs citing negligance. That's why Goodell has altered the fine/suspension system.

is Goodell pretty much doing CYA so the league cant be sued in the future.

Sure, that's part of it. He also wants to protect the investment owners have made in these players. He also might think protecting players from themselves is the right thing to do. None of those motivations need be exclusive.

What amazes me is all the pushback he's getting from the current players, who have to realize that every time they fight him on safety matters, every time they indicate they're not concerned about these injuries, they hurt their own chances of joining a class-action suit when their symptoms kick in.

is Goodell pretty much doing CYA so the league cant be sued in the future.

Sure, that's part of it. He also wants to protect the investment owners have made in these players. He also might think protecting players from themselves is the right thing to do. None of those motivations need be exclusive.

What amazes me is all the pushback he's getting from the current players, who have to realize that every time they fight him on safety matters, every time they indicate they're not concerned about these injuries, they hurt their own chances of joining a class-action suit when their symptoms kick in.

This is very true. There was an article I read the other day (wish I could find it, maybe it was linked here) where it said Goodell has played the perfect "game" with the players on safety. By changing the status quo since he's been the comissioner, the PA often finds itself with a lot less leverage than it used to have.

I'm sorry but how many millions upon millions of kids play football and don't end up with CTE.

... that we know of because CTE is diagnosed AFTER death.

Not true. While it's easier to diagnose after death, there are plenty of former players, former boxers, etc. who have been diagnosed with it currently.

On second thought, I stand corrected.

I saw, I came, I left.

You can diagnose it while someone's alive, but I don't think you can confirm it without an autopsy. Is that correct?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

My understanding is the only truly accurate measure requires cutting open the brain. Which sounds really unpleasant.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Take the suits of armor that the players wear out of the equation and maybe you force the players to tackle more safely. What are the concussion rates in rugby?

I have been saying the same thing for years around here. People think it sounds crazy when you say football might be safer with less equipment, but I really believe that less equipment would make the players think twice about launching themselves like missiles to make a tackle.

BB52Big.jpg

I have been saying the same thing for years around here. People think it sounds crazy when you say football might be safer with less equipment, but I really believe that less equipment would make the players think twice about launching themselves like missiles to make a tackle.

That's not a realistic argument. The helmets and pads are never going to go away, and those hits the pads have afforded are what sells the game internationally and attracts audiences. It's not financially logical to just do away with something universally identified with the game simply because it would be potentially safer.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I definitely think the helmet thing is something that should be looked into. I doubt it will ever happen though, because A. it would upset the status quo and B. if the NFL ever did do a study like that and came to the conclusion that less protection with helmets or even no helmets did in fact make the game safer and didn't act on it, they would be liable for alot more then they are now, and as it stands now they're already getting sued by big time by former players. So I think a big part of the NFL just doesn't want to know. Not to mention the hefy price tag that would go with conducting a study like that which I would guess would be at least 8 figures with probably little to no guarantee you would get any sort of useful information.

I would do it regardless if for no other reason then it may save you alot more money in court expenses down the road, but I'm not the one making the decisions.

Pad are already going away; does anyone still wear hip pads?

I know helmets will never be eliminated, but they could be minimized to be less of a weapon.

Plus there are rule changes to be made: the last time football faced such an existential crisis, they outlawed the wedge. Today it ought to be the three-point stance.

Football has evolved beyond its ability to be a safe game for participants. Time to reign it back in. There will be some who cry that the game will be lost forever, as undoubtedly some criticized banning the wedge as "feminizing the game" or some such nonsense, but what the NFL and others will actually be doing is restoring proper football and saving the sport for future generations to both watch and play.

Archived