Least Deserving Beloved Logo

OnWis97

I may be only one so far...but until all this I seriously had no clue that a/ that LSU helmet/logo was beloved at all and that b/ it had THIS much of a level of attachment to it.

Funny thing is...that same tiger would be decried as all kinds of ugly, old, dated, antiquated, etc, if it belonged to some lower-level 1-AA or HBCU program, but because it's LSU, it gets a pass? Someone please explain that to me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason people like the Johnny Canuck logo is because it represents the origin of the name "Canucks". The orca may represent Canada's west coast but it doesn't represent the history and heritage of the Canucks. Remember, the BC Lions have a mountain lion logo and the Whitecaps have whitecapped mountains in their logo. The Canucks' identity crisis continues until Johnny is finally on the front of their primaries.

Remember, the Habs don't have a cartoony French Canadian on the front of their jerseys and they're fine. The Oilers don't have an oil worker and they look great. The Bruins don't have a bear, the Kings don't have a king, and the Rangers don't have a ranger. A logo doesn't have to be a literal interpretation of the team name.

Bingo!

The recoloured Orca makes for a much better crest than the cartoonish, overly detailed rendering of Johnny Canuck. That being said I do like the Johnny Canuck "V" as a shoulder patch.

Morgo, you really disappoint me. And I thought you liked Johnny Canuck or least the Stick 'n Rink. I guess the Canucks should change their name to the Vancouver Orcas and say the hell with the Canucks name. So what if Johnny Canuck is cartoonish. So is Chicago's Chief Black Hawk logo. And the orca is also overly detailed as well.

The reason people like the Johnny Canuck logo is because it represents the origin of the name "Canucks". The orca may represent Canada's west coast but it doesn't represent the history and heritage of the Canucks. Remember, the BC Lions have a mountain lion logo and the Whitecaps have whitecapped mountains in their logo. The Canucks' identity crisis continues until Johnny is finally on the front of their primaries.

Remember, the Habs don't have a cartoony French Canadian on the front of their jerseys and they're fine. The Oilers don't have an oil worker and they look great. The Bruins don't have a bear, the Kings don't have a king, and the Rangers don't have a ranger. A logo doesn't have to be a literal interpretation of the team name.

Bingo!

The recoloured Orca makes for a much better crest than the cartoonish, overly detailed rendering of Johnny Canuck. That being said I do like the Johnny Canuck "V" as a shoulder patch.

Morgo, back in February, I had mentioned a petition pushing for Johnny Canuck to be the primary Canucks logo. In your reply, you stated that you were torn between the orca and JC. I know you like the orca, in which we will agree to disagree, but you gave your support for JC by saying that it made way more sense and that you had liked the JC jersey concept of one of the posters. Furthermore, the skating JC logo has kelly green. The orca doesn't. Now, you've contradicted yourself.

Here is your post from February:

Morgo

Curse Lifted. Go Canucks, Oilers, Flames, Habs, Sens, Leafs

Favourite Logos:Any logo with Kelly Green

Posted February 23, 2012 - 14:21

As a lifelong Canucks fan, I am really torn on this issue.

On one hand I think the current jerseys are easily among the 5 best in the league. The Orca works great as a jersey crest and while I didn't like it at first, the arched "Vancouver" is a unique design feature that has become all their own. You also have to factor in how many people recently bought Orca merchandise during the 2011 run. I can't imagine these fans being too happy about a change.

On the flipside, Johnny Canuck would make waaay more sense for the teams namesake and would look pretty good on the front of the jerseys too. Just don't match it with the arched wordmark like the picture on the petition. The jersey Gothamite posted looks great... minus the vintage white of course.

I may be only one so far...but until all this I seriously had no clue that a/ that LSU helmet/logo was beloved at all and that b/ it had THIS much of a level of attachment to it.

Funny thing is...that same tiger would be decried as all kinds of ugly, old, dated, antiquated, etc, if it belonged to some lower-level 1-AA or HBCU program, but because it's LSU, it gets a pass? Someone please explain that to me.

Most fans think our jerseys our perfect and should never be changed at all. And I mostly agree.

The problem with LSU's helmets isn't just that ugly Tiger. It's also that black tape-like LSU wordmark above it.

Replacing the ugly Tiger with another Tiger logo would vastly improve the helmets. Getting rid of the LSU wordmark would make it even better.

35jftc3.jpg

The ONLY reason why this is still on their helmets instead of the new Tiger is because this logo has somehow reached "IF YOU MESS WITH IT WE WILL BURN THIS SUMBITCH DOWN TO THE GROUND" status

clemson-tigers_medium.jpg

"HEY GUYS HEY GUYS DON'T TELL DABO BUT LSU GAVE ME A MIRROR, SOME 8-BALLS AND A MACBOOK WITH PHOTOSHOP TO DESIGN THEIR NEW LOGO AND AFTER I WOKE UP FROM BEING BLACKED OUT THIS IS WHAT I SAW ON THE SCREEN"

YESSSSSS 8-Ball's coming on over to CCSLC :grin:

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Morgo, back in February, I had mentioned a petition pushing for Johnny Canuck to be the primary Canucks logo. In your reply, you stated that you were torn between the orca and JC. I know you like the orca, in which we will agree to disagree, but you gave your support for JC by saying that it made way more sense and that you had liked the JC jersey concept of one of the posters. Furthermore, the skating JC logo has kelly green. The orca doesn't. Now, you've contradicted yourself.

Your right, I do flip flop on the issue of the Canucks identity but from a purely visual standpoint I have to favour the Orca. The 2007 recolouring looks fantastic and the decision to have contrasting colours on the C's (Blue C on a white jersey and vice versa) can't be underestimated. Non-contrasting logos a huge pet peeve of mine. The haida art is not only a great nod to the city but the entire west coast. The arched Vancouver is not even necessary because nothing says "Vancouver" more than that logo. That being said, it still looks attractive and unique.

Now as for the full bodied Johnny Canuck being the primary, I'm sure it would look fine on the road jersey. On it's counterpart? Not so much. The Johnny Canuck "V" is fine as a shoulder patch but it's definitely not jersey crest material.

Long story short, I hope these stick around.

66025094vancouvercanuck.jpg

Patriots-logo.gif

I have no idea why fellow Patriots fans love this logo (and the jersey set that goes with it). It symbolizes a terrible franchise fraught with futility*

*Full disclosure, I became a Pats fan in 1993.

Seconded. Pat is nothing but an embodiment of decades of miserable failure (as is the red jersey that went with him). Give me Flying Elvis any day of the week and twice on Sundays, he may look unhappy but that's because he's a winner and can't stand the thought of losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl. I can see Elvis haunting the dreams of Tom Brady.

6187.gif

I don't get the love for it. It's generic and inferior to any look they had after it.

I don't know, it's always seemed kind of clever with the "m" and "b" coming together with the ball to form a glove. The bird must die however. Going back to this and those stupid paneled caps was a big mistake by Baltimore.

pg2_warriors_logo_300.jpg

I'm not entirely sure how beloved this actually is, but people seem to really love the new uniforms. I always thought it was kind of a half-assed throwback. It's not terrible, but I really don't see it as an upgrade over what they had previously.

pg2_warriors_logo_300.jpg

I'm not entirely sure how beloved this actually is, but people seem to really love the new uniforms. I always thought it was kind of a half-assed throwback. It's not terrible, but I really don't see it as an upgrade over what they had previously.

I agree. This was aterrible rebrand that has no conotation of warrior to me. They tied the bridge into it but that's it. Brooklyn could've done that nd it'd maybe be less cheesy with a name like Nets.

The thing is, it's not beloved, it's just better than the current alternative. Fans don't want the current logo on the helmet, so it won't go on. I cannot see any scenario where it would. As I said before in the other threas, there would be too big of a backlash against it.

Royal blue and yellow look really good together. Now that everyone knows it's an 'm' and a 'b' that form a mitt, people love it. Also, something about the shape is inviting and warm and pleasant on some deep psychological level. Like it's giving you a high-five, or it wants to give you a hug. The stuff now is too clean and corporate. The '90s set looked really nice but lacked a single logo as good as BIG.

Very eloquently stated, sir!

The BiG has literally been my favorite logo for so long (it was on my favorite jacket as a toddler and sewed my seed of my logo-nerdum) that I never really thought about the reason I like it beyond the hidden elements and nostalgia, but I agree with everything here. The "too corporate" thing is my (and... judging by the popularity of the BiG locally, most of Wisconsin's) biggest complaint about the Brewers' current identity.

I love it because I saw my Uncle wear it on clothing when I was a little kid, at about age 3 or 4. Around 1993, I think. By the time I got into baseball in the late 90's, they had switched to the interlocking MB, then they switched to the current one about a year or two later. I don't dislike either logos after the ball-in-glove, but man...

The logo just has "The Look" as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I had no idea what it truly was growing up, but then I read it was an M and B forming a glove and I just about :censored: my pants.

The fact they won a World Series with that logo and had Hank Aaron during that logo probably helps aswell.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived