2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

so the white face mask on white helmet trend continues and now seeps into the NFL? i don't hate it, i actually like the look. it's very clean and because not many use it as a primary look now (no one in the NFL) it's unique and fresh. just kind of odd that this 80s looks has caught on so hot over the past 2 years. still not a fan of the logo, but im excited to see the whole package together and if it's true they're going back to the older colors this identity (minus the logo) has some great potential. but then so does the Seahawks and their uniforms came out garbage

I believe a white facemask only looks good on colored helmets. The Kansas City Chiefs look really good with a white facemask, while Cleveland would look outstanding in a white facemask....I am just glad that the team did not go with a gray facemask as that would have really blown. I am just a big fan of a colored facemasks (not including gray). Take Kentucky for instance, the blue helmet with white FM looks great, but the white helmet with white FM would look 10x better if the FM were blue.

cool. i like white

FWIW - I have a well-placed source working in promotions at a local sports radio stations who can confirm that the Vikings are gettting new jerseys for 2013. It is anticipated that the unveiling could be a month-long drawn out process, perhaps with some small leaks / hints leading up to the expected unveiling at the Draft.

thats interesting. it was my own theory that the Viks might hold off on getting new uniforms as a push for a new stadium. a sort of "give us a new stadium and we'll have cool new unis" thing. either way im almost positive it will be a modern-retro design ala the Bills

If this is the FINAL logo, there are 2 things I don't like...

374x270xMiami-Dolphins-New-Logo-2013.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6pAZap1tUK.jpg

1. The sun is a mess. There is no symmetry to it. The sun spikes seem random and not consistently shape. While this is fine for an illustration, this is not good for a logo.

2. It looks like the tail is smaller than the original leak. While this does help the logo fit in more tight spaces, it also makes the dolphin's head and eye look disproportionately huge..

I guess I can get over these two minor points, but I really am confused by what they decided to do with the sun. The sun from the original leak was far superior.

EDIT: Also, the dolphin is a more aqua green than I thought it would be (or hoped it would be)

1. why do you feel its "fine for an illustration but not a logo"? what about that dosent work?

2. the perspective might be a bit extreme, but its a 3/4 turn view, not a side profile. i think the tail is about right. dosent need to be perfect anyway

This might just be my personal preference, but I like symmetry and order in logo designs. This sun seems way off kilter to me. The randomness of the spikes is a bit off-putting for a logo. It doesn't look "precise." That is why I say it looks fine for an illustration, because in something like painting for example, precision isn't the point. (at least most of the time)

I personally thought the old sunburst was fine, I just wanted that Goof Troop dolphin gone... But now it seems they reversed the problem. Got a better dolphins, but botched the sun.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they were going for depth with the tail being smaller. Making it look like it was jumping at an angle toward the viewer. I don't know haha. Also lol @ the NFL leaking something again. Didn't they do this last year with the Nike gloves for Seattle and Carolina.

You know, at this point, Miami just needs to release an article online unveiling the new logo and make the April 25th event a uniform-only unveiling. There's no use in perpetually trying to lie your way out of acknowledging that the leaks are real, especially if the latest one comes form NFL.com.

Granted, none of this is the Dolphins' fault, but continually denying all the leaks is just stupid now.

so the white face mask on white helmet trend continues and now seeps into the NFL? i don't hate it, i actually like the look. it's very clean and because not many use it as a primary look now (no one in the NFL) it's unique and fresh. just kind of odd that this 80s looks has caught on so hot over the past 2 years. still not a fan of the logo, but im excited to see the whole package together and if it's true they're going back to the older colors this identity (minus the logo) has some great potential. but then so does the Seahawks and their uniforms came out garbage

I believe a white facemask only looks good on colored helmets. The Kansas City Chiefs look really good with a white facemask, while Cleveland would look outstanding in a white facemask....I am just glad that the team did not go with a gray facemask as that would have really blown. I am just a big fan of a colored facemasks (not including gray). Take Kentucky for instance, the blue helmet with white FM looks great, but the white helmet with white FM would look 10x better if the FM were blue.

cool. i like white

FWIW - I have a well-placed source working in promotions at a local sports radio stations who can confirm that the Vikings are gettting new jerseys for 2013. It is anticipated that the unveiling could be a month-long drawn out process, perhaps with some small leaks / hints leading up to the expected unveiling at the Draft.

thats interesting. it was my own theory that the Viks might hold off on getting new uniforms as a push for a new stadium. a sort of "give us a new stadium and we'll have cool new unis" thing. either way im almost positive it will be a modern-retro design ala the Bills

If this is the FINAL logo, there are 2 things I don't like...

374x270xMiami-Dolphins-New-Logo-2013.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6pAZap1tUK.jpg

1. The sun is a mess. There is no symmetry to it. The sun spikes seem random and not consistently shape. While this is fine for an illustration, this is not good for a logo.

2. It looks like the tail is smaller than the original leak. While this does help the logo fit in more tight spaces, it also makes the dolphin's head and eye look disproportionately huge..

I guess I can get over these two minor points, but I really am confused by what they decided to do with the sun. The sun from the original leak was far superior.

EDIT: Also, the dolphin is a more aqua green than I thought it would be (or hoped it would be)

1. why do you feel its "fine for an illustration but not a logo"? what about that dosent work?

2. the perspective might be a bit extreme, but its a 3/4 turn view, not a side profile. i think the tail is about right. dosent need to be perfect anyway

This might just be my personal preference, but I like symmetry and order in logo designs. This sun seems way off kilter to me. The randomness of the spikes is a bit off-putting for a logo. It doesn't look "precise." That is why I say it looks fine for an illustration, because in something like painting for example, precision isn't the point. (at least most of the time)

I personally thought the old sunburst was fine, I just wanted that Goof Troop dolphin gone... But now it seems they reversed the problem. Got a better dolphins, but botched the sun.

on this logo, im pretty much with you. i liked the old version where all the shapes were equal. but thats just one way to do it; a style preference. i dont think theres anything "wrong" with it and i dont think theres anything about it's quality that will be an issue in reproduction.

the longer rays/flames help fill in that invisible square (or circle) created by the logos outer most points. filling in that space helps the logo have a stronger presence and heavier weight, also allowing for a bit more orange to be used. the problem with doing those long shapes all the way around is it would start to dominate the logo, and the primary element here is the dolphin. also, the styling of the sun/ring feels more realistic (fire isnt symmetrical) , and matches the illustration of the dolphin well. the older logos were much more abstract and cartoonish (where elements of the dolphin were exaggerated) and of course the whole concept of a helmet wearing dolphin.

my main concern with this logo is the flow it will have on the helmet. its all in the tail. to me, i dont give a damn what a dolphin does while it's jumping or swimming, this logo needs to look good and flow well on a helmet. the old logo did that, and im not sure how this on will yet

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

if you want to go more abstract/less cartoon fine but the positioning of the new dolphin makes it look completely lifeless...at least the old one demonstrated some movement this one looks completely inert

Really? I've never quite personally understood the argument of "movement" for the old dolphin. I've always seem something more like "Hurrdurr I'm a dawlfin and I'm just sittin' here and it's pretty rootin' tootin' and also I'm playin' some footsie-ball with you can tell because of my footsie-ball helmet-dealie and, by golly, it sure is neat-o sittin' here and bein' a dawlfin and playin' footsies-ball..."

...IMO

my main concern with this logo is the flow it will have on the helmet. its all in the tail. to me, i dont give a damn what a dolphin does while it's jumping or swimming, this logo needs to look good and flow well on a helmet. the old logo did that, and im not sure how this on will yet

I'm pretty sure it'll look really good on a helmet. The dolphin follows the same S curve as the Lions logo or even the Boston Breakers helmet design...

The first time someone called logo/uniform design "Stormtrooper clip art white for white's sake" was clever. Now it is unoriginal and a poor critique.

That's kind of an MOD EDIT pretentious thing to say. Maybe I've never heard anyone else previously use that terminology? Also, if it's a poor critique now, wouldn't it have been the first time you heard it too?

Giants will wear an alternate uniform in '13

The Giants will have a slightly different look this season in a few select games.

The team announced that it will wear white pants in place of its traditional gray to go with blue jerseys for select home or away games. The games in which they will wear the pants have not been selected yet.

The Giants will not wear the white pants with white jerseys.

The Giants say the "white pants have a thin red stripe bordered by gray and blue stripes." Their gray pants have a blue stripe bordered by gray and red stripes.

NFL rules allow teams to wear three alternate pants. The Giants haven't worn white pants since 1999, when they last wore the helmets with “GIANTS” on it and wore all-white road uniforms.

Something tells me that Tom Coughlin may like the clean white pant look.

http://espn.go.com/b...e-uniform-in-13

Mockup:

gmen_zps537a4cc7.png

For those saying the sun is not symmetrical, allow me to present this:

6nnH2ZV.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

For those saying the sun is not symmetrical, allow me to present this:

6nnH2ZV.png

Hmmm... interesting. Maybe the reason it doesn't seem symmetrical is because its tilted. The highest points should have been in a cross shape, north, south, east, west. By having the highest points tilted off center, it makes it look more random and assymetrical.

Giants will wear an alternate uniform in '13

The Giants will have a slightly different look this season in a few select games.

The team announced that it will wear white pants in place of its traditional gray to go with blue jerseys for select home or away games. The games in which they will wear the pants have not been selected yet.

The Giants will not wear the white pants with white jerseys.

The Giants say the "white pants have a thin red stripe bordered by gray and blue stripes." Their gray pants have a blue stripe bordered by gray and red stripes.

NFL rules allow teams to wear three alternate pants. The Giants haven't worn white pants since 1999, when they last wore the helmets with “GIANTS” on it and wore all-white road uniforms.

Something tells me that Tom Coughlin may like the clean white pant look.

http://espn.go.com/b...e-uniform-in-13

Mockup:

gmen_zps537a4cc7.png

Wow, that doesnt look that bad.

It's symmetrical, simply turned on the axis... because the main shape of the Dolphin covers some of the perspective, the rays appear to be random, yet aren't.

I guess thats what it is. It would look much better if the dolphin didnt cover up the prominent parts of the sunburst.

spacer.png

I think white helmets usually look minor league. Like you just walked into Sports Authority and grabbed a helmet off the shelf. There are a few that look good though. I don't really have a reason why, just think they work. Texas is one and those all-white Oregon uniforms are another. I think the teal facemask was perfect for the Dolphins.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Did you all miss this bit in that article, about the angle of the dolphin:

The mascot will be parallel to the ground and seem to be flying through the orange sunburst, which is bigger now. The mascot on the old logos seemed to be leaping through the sunburst almost perpendicular to the ground.

Archived