2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

...my only problem..what the heck was that other shirt? and why was the logo backwards? ...

Um, there are two sleeves and each one has the dolphin pointing forward....I'm boggled by how many times I've had to explain that in recent weeks.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll admit, the Jags logo looks better embroidered than I thought it would (I still question how its going to look on a polo, but most logos look pretty bad on polos), however if you look closely they had to change a number of the dots to make it work. There are different places, mainly above the eyes and around the edges. Why have 2 versions when you could just blow up the embroidery logo for screenprint and print purposes? That's been my question. Make it work for embroidery as is and it will work for every other application.

I guess its not a huge deal, the integrity of the logo is intact still.

Is it just me or does the new logo feature an altered navy blue? Looks like a "steel blue" or like it got a little injection of aqua as well. Definitely looks different. I know the other colors appear to have been changed, too. Looks like they are reverting to the softer shades of the earlier years. Really like it a lot.

mia.png

miami-dolphins-logo.jpg

Colorwerx? Anything official?

The old one needed to go but the new one needed more work. It really feels like an identity lost (the cartoonish) and replaced by a logo that doesn't represent a strong identity and is fairly blase.

I remember a few pages back the discussion was about this new dolphin not looking mean enough, but seeing it in its finished state it has a more intense stare than the old logo. The old dolphin looked looked like it was trying to act tough while this new one has a more natural determined look.

Dolphinsprototype-1.png?t=1356376225

IMHO, these are the main problems / flaws with the new Dolphins logo:

1) Balance: Just "eye balling" the positioning, the tail end sticks out way more than the front end -- i.e. the Dolphin should be shifted to the right.

2) Proportion: The Dolphin got HUGE while the Sunburst size stayed relatively the same (i.e. the Sunburst should probably be slightly larger).

3) Motion / Emotion: There is no sense of motion, or aggression or any "emotion" really, now granted you don't necessarily have to have "motion" per se (e.g. the running Buffalo or flying Falcon, but heck even the old Dolphin was at least leaping), the point is the current Dolphin looks like it just got done smoking a nice fat bowl and is about to do a massive belly flop -- not real intimidating.

4) Design: I know these are supposed to be caricatures, but the tail looks more like a whale's tail and seems too large for a typical dolphin's body (e.g. google pics of a real dolphin to see what I mean)

5) Design: If the idea was to shift to a more modern, sleeker, cleaner look, why add the smaller secondary Sun "spike"? Does it really add anything?

6) Design: No eye. This to me is perhaps the most egregious flaw..

Consider that there are currently 13 NFL teams that use an animal as their primary logo (Chicago uses a Bear head as their secondary logo -- as does Cincinnati's Bengal tiger but even both of those have eyes), every NFL animal logo has an eye or incorporates some kind of eye (such as the Star on the Texan's logo):

NFL-animals.png

In fact, I'm willing to bet (and I don't have the slightest clue or have done the research), that every other professional sports logo that incorporates an animal has an eye (Bulls, Hawks, Orioles etc.) and perhaps even extend that to the collegiate and HS levels... in other words, you're breaking new ground here and not in a good way. If it ain't broke, don't remove the eye.

Now aside from all of that... frankly speaking? It's still a pretty mediocre logo at best, and a major downgrade from its classic logo at worst (basically, it sucks...)

Looking at what appears to be the "final" version of the Dolphins logo vs. what my primary "gripes" were (as stated above post in early Jan), I guess things could have been worse...

The new Dolphins logo is on the banner of their webpage.

When the management just owns something, it makes the whole controversy much more palatable.

Ultimately, these things usually find balance on their own. Reasonable members of the community eventually equal out the zealots. It doesn't need a big PR push or attempt to hide and retcon what happened.

Revealing some of the process and focus group data would be enlightening.

8596484610_3a38500074.jpg

The new logo is nice, but it is more suited for an Aqua/Marine label, than a pro football team.

I guess you could say that they hit the nail on the head, since the team is from Miami. But their old logo was classic, and emphasized football and a dolphin perfectly.

Interesting blip from this article here:

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/article-1/Ireland-And-Dee-Update-Season-Ticket-Members/ae8441cc-ef1f-4c54-a2c4-221e5d779d51

"One of the pressing questions for Dee had to with when fans will be able to purchase gear with the new logo. He confirmed that jerseys will hit the racks the week before the draft and shirts and hats will be rolling in over the next 30 days but they won’t be available to purchase at the official team store until after the official unveil. "

So it sounds like we will get our first looks at it before it is technically unveiled.

Also, they confirm the switch to the white mask here (not the main Dolphins site, but was linked to from the main site on the home page):

http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2013/dee-confirms-logo-evolution

Is it just me or does the new logo feature an altered navy blue? Looks like a "steel blue" or like it got a little injection of aqua as well. Definitely looks different. I know the other colors appear to have been changed, too. Looks like they are reverting to the softer shades of the earlier years. Really like it a lot.

mia.png

miami-dolphins-logo.jpg

I was never a fan of the navy for navy's sake they did with the previous logo, but the darker blue fits well with the new logo. I love it. Can't wait to see the uniforms!

After reviewing the new Dolphins logo all day I now have to admit that this is the worst logo in the NFL. Jacksonville has now moved out of the cellar. I was looking forward to seeing the uniform unveiling, but now that we know the white mask is official I am extremely disappointed in the direction of the Dolphins and I should have expected it from Nike.

spacer.png

The more I look at the new logo, the more I like it, though I'm reserving final judgment for when I see the entire thing. I'm not sure such a radical change was needed, but it's worth it for the new color palate alone.

The more I look at the new logo, the more I like it, though I'm reserving final judgment for when I see the entire thing. I'm not sure such a radical change was needed, but it's worth it for the new color palate alone.

^^

This. The full uniform reveal is when I'll really have an opinion.

newsig.jpg

Brian in Boston cleaning up this thread. Kudos.

There is a point where recurring MOD EDITS becomes comedy and we're there. The Jacksonville thread had "It looks like clip art" thrown indiscriminately and Miami has MOD Edits.

It's interesting that the tail is a little shorter than Skape7's vector from earlier. Is it right to say that the change depersonalizes the logo?

Whether I like it better than the 70's version I can't say but I do like it more than the cartoon they've had since '97.

Archived