2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

I was watching clips of the Jaguars camp on NFLN and saw photos from their camp and I noticed something.

Photo: http://sports.yahoo....30fc04a2823-l:1

The video I saw appeared to show the players wearing a flat black matte helmet.

The photos suggest maybe they're just using the old helmet.

If the video I saw does show that the helmet is matte black, then is it safe to assume that the new Jags helmets are black primarily and that the gold is sprayed on, not vice versa?

just a thought

The ones in the picture are definitely the helmets from last year, i don't know about your clip though, but if i had to guess id say the helmets would be gold first and the black would be sprayed on after because there is more gold than black, it just makes more scents

The helmets were painted in a well ventilated room, so I don't think that was a consideration.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching clips of the Jaguars camp on NFLN and saw photos from their camp and I noticed something.

If the video I saw does show that the helmet is matte black, then is it safe to assume that the new Jags helmets are black primarily and that the gold is sprayed on, not vice versa?

just a thought

The ones in the picture are definitely the helmets from last year, i don't know about your clip though, but if i had to guess id say the helmets would be gold first and the black would be sprayed on after because there is more gold than black, it just makes more scents

i was thinking they were matte black shells with gold sprayed over top.

The way i see it is since the helmets are mainly gold, you would use a gold shell and paint over it in the matte black thus using less paint, and spending less money, but i don't know either way could be right.

They look to be gold helmets painted matte black in the front. They were also wearing the old helmets from last year during the rookie mini camp. The only difference from anything they wore last year at practice was the name on back font was the new one for this year. They are supposed to wear the new gear at the next veteran mini camp in a few weeks.

just a thought

Didn't know that the helmets had an aroma to them. New element that apparently went under the radar.

Okay, you're causing me all sorts of problems with the "aroma" comment. I'm in a situation where I can't laugh freely but I'm about to lose it. Funniest thing I've read in a long time.

just a thought

Didn't know that the helmets had an aroma to them. New element that apparently went under the radar.

Okay, you're causing me all sorts of problems with the "aroma" comment. I'm in a situation where I can't laugh freely but I'm about to lose it. Funniest thing I've read in a long time.

Back on point. I do wonder if we'll ever see the process of painting these helmets. Does the helmet company just send them to the equipment staff or does the staff paint it themselves before applying the logo adhesive?

Go A's!

just a thought

Back on point. I do wonder if we'll ever see the process of painting these helmets. Does the helmet company just send them to the equipment staff or does the staff paint it themselves before applying the logo adhesive?

judging by the quality of the 1st round of helmets I think it's safe to say that the process involves an equipment manager, a standard gold helmet and a can of flat black Krylon.

judging by the quality of the 1st round of helmets I think it's safe to say that the process involves an equipment manager, a standard gold helmet and a can of flat black Krylon.

And, possibly, a blindfold.

Hey OldSchoolVikings, I must have missed it, but what are your thoughts on the Vikings new uniforms?

spacer.png

Hey OldSchoolVikings, I must have missed it, but what are your thoughts on the Vikings new uniforms?

Well, my thoughts are that it is a major improvement over the last outfit, but honestly, they would've had to really try to come up with something worse. (Actually, that's been my standard half-joking comment, but Nike has proved in Seattle and Jacksonville.. especially Jacksonville... that they are well up for the task of creating God-awful NFL football uniforms.) So if the scale is "could be better" to "could be worse" there's considerably more room on the "could be worse" side. That said, there are still any number of easy improvements I would make.

I'm not happy with the incursion of black on the helmet. I didn't much care for it when it was just on the logo, and now that it's spread to the facemask, you can see the slippery slope getting greased up. Experience shows that adding even a small amount of black is usually just the beginning. (On a side note, it is funny, however, to watch the gray mask haters twist themselves around to defend the black mask as a "neutral" and "about attitude"... irony.)

While I, personally, don't see the number font to be the great atrocity that some here do, I think at the very least it's a bit too clever and definitely unnecessary. The right side numeral... the one without the pointy bits... is a handsome update on a basic block font. There's no good reason not to use it for both.

The biggest misstep... which is to say, the one that walks directly into my most hated pet peeve... is the lack of contrasting socks for the purple pants. Most of my life it has been my fervent desire to see the Vikings return to purple road pants. When I was a kid and became a fan, I'd occasionally see old pictures from the 60's, and those pants seemed so cool. I just missed them by about 5 years, and I have been waiting for them to come back. But when they finally did in '06, I realized I would just as soon as not have them at all, as long as the current ugly trend of dark pants with dark socks continues. Ugly. Stupid. Hate hate hate.

Tell you what... as an upgrade on the old, I'd give it a 9, and as a stand alone uniform, I'd go 7.

So those are my basic thoughts... I'm sure I posted them in the Vikings New Uniform thread, though probably not all together like this. I'm also not sure if anyone saw it but I posted my basic "fixes" in a thread over in Concepts... http://boards.sports...et/topic/92526-

minnesota-vikings-concepts/ Have a look and tell me what you think. (Now that I'm finally posting a few concepts, I get the frustration people have when their concept threads get ignored and slowly sink away... it's a bit of a sad feeling. It's funny, I have gallery shows of my paintings all the time and have developed an unbelievably thick skin there... basically, when a critic writes something snarky, I have no problem telling myself it's because he/she is an idiot. But I've posted a couple of concepts here, and found myself nervously checking back in... weird.)

Well, my thoughts are that it is a major improvement over the last outfit, but honestly, they would've had to really try to come up with something worse. (Actually, that's been my standard half-joking comment, but Nike has proved in Seattle and Jacksonville.. especially Jacksonville... that they are well up for the task of creating God-awful NFL football uniforms.) So if the scale is "could be better" to "could be worse" there's considerably more room on the "could be worse" side. That said, there are still any number of easy improvements I would make.

I'm not happy with the incursion of black on the helmet. I didn't much care for it when it was just on the logo, and now that it's spread to the facemask, you can see the slippery slope getting greased up. Experience shows that adding even a small amount of black is usually just the beginning. (On a side note, it is funny, however, to watch the gray mask haters twist themselves around to defend the black mask as a "neutral" and "about attitude"... irony.)

While I, personally, don't see the number font to be the great atrocity that some here do, I think at the very least it's a bit too clever and definitely unnecessary. The right side numeral... the one without the pointy bits... is a handsome update on a basic block font. There's no good reason not to use it for both.

The biggest misstep... which is to say, the one that walks directly into my most hated pet peeve... is the lack of contrasting socks for the purple pants. Most of my life it has been my fervent desire to see the Vikings return to purple road pants. When I was a kid and became a fan, I'd occasionally see old pictures from the 60's, and those pants seemed so cool. I just missed them by about 5 years, and I have been waiting for them to come back. But when they finally did in '06, I realized I would just as soon as not have them at all, as long as the current ugly trend of dark pants with dark socks continues. Ugly. Stupid. Hate hate hate.

Tell you what... as an upgrade on the old, I'd give it a 9, and as a stand alone uniform, I'd go 7.

So those are my basic thoughts... I'm sure I posted them in the Vikings New Uniform thread, though probably not all together like this. I'm also not sure if anyone saw it but I posted my basic "fixes" in a thread over in Concepts... http://boards.sports...et/topic/92526-

minnesota-vikings-concepts/ Have a look and tell me what you think. (Now that I'm finally posting a few concepts, I get the frustration people have when their concept threads get ignored and slowly sink away... it's a bit of a sad feeling. It's funny, I have gallery shows of my paintings all the time and have developed an unbelievably thick skin there... basically, when a critic writes something snarky, I have no problem telling myself it's because he/she is an idiot. But I've posted a couple of concepts here, and found myself nervously checking back in... weird.)

Thanks for the feedback as I really wanted to know what an actual Vikings fan thought. As far as your concept, I love those striped socks as those would be a major improvement on the current set.

spacer.png

The Packers announced that they will wear their 1929-inspired uniforms this year against the Cleveland Browns.

When was the last logoless helmet game in the NFL? :)

It's where I sit.

The Packers announced that they will wear their 1929-inspired uniforms this year against the Cleveland Browns.

I don't know, but it won't happen this game. The Browns will be wearing the primary logo on their heads.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Green Bay --- The Packers announced Monday that they'll be wearing their blue and yellow throwback uniforms Oct. 20 against the Cleveland Browns.

They've worn the 1929 replicas twice before. Green Bay defeated San Francisco, 34-16, in 2010. And in 2011, they beat St. Louis, 24-3. In addition to the navy blue uniforms with the yellow circle on front, the Packers also wear a brown helmet and tan pants.

Green Bay won its first championship that 1929 season.

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

Tim Masthay tweeted that they're the most comfortable pants he's ever worn. I assume they will be in the pro combat template?

That would make sense considering the Pack still wear the old model...meaning the players aren't used to/haven't worn the newer cut with the mesh panels.

Tim Masthay tweeted that they're the most comfortable pants he's ever worn. I assume they will be in the pro combat template?

That would make sense considering the Pack still wear the old model...meaning the players aren't used to/haven't worn the newer cut with the mesh panels.

I think he's talking about the pants they wore two years ago. Here's a quote from Rodgers in 2011, “I tell you what, and you’ll probably hear this from other guys, but the pants we have are the most comfortable pants. I’ve been looking forward to this game all year because of those pants. Those brown pants are so comfortable."

6f464e55-6abd-4e92-8ed3-55294054cd9a_zps4cb745f0-396d-406b-aa2d-41a0409c5d7a_zps21dbccf3-aad2-4b7e-8950-645ef30f9d11_zps

I'll guess the league-wide 75th anniversary throwback-palooza in 1994 might've had some logoless games.

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

I think he's talking about the pants they wore two years ago. Here's a quote from Rodgers in 2011, “I tell you what, and you’ll probably hear this from other guys, but the pants we have are the most comfortable pants. I’ve been looking forward to this game all year because of those pants. Those brown pants are so comfortable."

It be because the pants don't have stripes on them. Especially with older styles of pants, the stripes can make a bit of a difference in how comfortable they are. I even think some Browns players said similar things about their brown pants that didn't have stripes on them.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Helmet refinishing is a huge business for Riddell and Schutt - the teams who have painted helmets (which is pretty much everyone except Pittsburgh, Indy, the Jets, the Chiefs and maybe the Bears, Bengals and Browns) send them out for touch-ups, as do the colleges. I remember seeing a piece on one of the pregame shows a few years ago that showed the Broncos sending their shells out for touch-ups on their bye week.

I believe it was said that the matte helmets are just the normal helmets without a clearcoat. If that's the case, I imagine they paint the black on first, rather than painting black over the clearcoat.

I don't think the plastic used for the shells is matte; it's fairly glossy when I've seen photos from Riddell or Schutt. Look at the Steelers helmets at the start of the season; that's pretty much what they look like when they come out of the mold. Of course the Steelers don't even polish the helmets, they just wipe off the sweat and replace the decals as necessary leaving them scarred up as the season progress. I would assume the matte finish is painted on from glimpses of the inside of recent NCAA matte finish helmets. For the Jaguars they probably paint them gold first, then overspray the matte finish by hand which makes all of them somewhat unique.

Archived