2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Helmet refinishing is a huge business for Riddell and Schutt - the teams who have painted helmets (which is pretty much everyone except Pittsburgh, Indy, the Jets, the Chiefs and maybe the Bears, Bengals and Browns) send them out for touch-ups, as do the colleges. I remember seeing a piece on one of the pregame shows a few years ago that showed the Broncos sending their shells out for touch-ups on their bye week.

The Bengals tiger stripes are painted and then the whole thing is clear coated.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother linked me to a ESPN Q&A session for the 49ers saying they were supposed to wear throwbacks this year, any credibility to this or just a rumor?

image.png

so it would be this look?

4011216015_2c11ac5cdb_o.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Helmet refinishing is a huge business for Riddell and Schutt - the teams who have painted helmets (which is pretty much everyone except Pittsburgh, Indy, the Jets, the Chiefs and maybe the Bears, Bengals and Browns) send them out for touch-ups, as do the colleges. I remember seeing a piece on one of the pregame shows a few years ago that showed the Broncos sending their shells out for touch-ups on their bye week.

I thought that they had moved from tiger stripe decals to having them painted on. I'm also not sure about the Browns - they could be painting their shade of orange over the standard orange shells or it could be molded. Same with the Bears and their shade of very dark blue.

I thought that they had moved from tiger stripe decals to having them painted on. I'm also not sure about the Browns - they could be painting their shade of orange over the standard orange shells or it could be molded. Same with the Bears and their shade of very dark blue.

Let me clarify one misconception about the Bengals helmet stripes. I am a sports videographer for one of the Cincinnati television stations and I go to practices and games weekly on the field. The Bengals stripes are NOT painted on. They are individual stripes applied weekly if needed. They are also NOT clearcoated. These are FACTS

Let me clarify one misconception about the Bengals helmet stripes. I am a sports videographer for one of the Cincinnati television stations and I go to practices and games weekly on the field. The Bengals stripes are NOT painted on. They are individual stripes applied weekly if needed. They are also NOT clearcoated. These are FACTS

Yeah. I think I read somewhere that they were painting for the first few years, but haven't been in a long time. Maybe that short period of time is why people still think that.

cin-bengals-revolution.jpg

If you look close you can definitely see the edge of the decals.

decal_118.jpg

Chris Willis, of Athletic Decals Incorporated disagrees, or at least he did at some point in time. In this interview with Paul Lukas, he states that "the Bengals don't use decals -- that's a painted helmet." The dude supplies decals to the NFL and colleges, so it would seem that he would know what he's talking about.

On the other hand, you're there with them in person and I assume you know what you're seeing. So, perhaps they do both, or have done both. In this thread from 2008, there seemed to be a consensus (possibly developed from the Chris Willis comment, I don't know) that they have painted them since 2000 or so. In this thread from 2010, two photos were posted that seemed to indicate that they had done both. Here are the photos from that thread. The bottom photo is Terrell Owens, so it would have to be from 2010. Does anyone know at what point Carson Palmer wore a speed helmet? I'm a Bengals fan and should know, but I don't.

palmerspeed.jpg

09000d5d81b06d27.jpg

Chris Willis, of Athletic Decals Incorporated disagrees, or at least he did at some point in time. In this interview with Paul Lukas, he states that "the Bengals don't use decals -- that's a painted helmet." The dude supplies decals to the NFL and colleges, so it would seem that he would know what he's talking about.

On the other hand, you're there with them in person and I assume you know what you're seeing. So, perhaps they do both, or have done both. In this thread from 2008, there seemed to be a consensus (possibly developed from the Chris Willis comment, I don't know) that they have painted them since 2000 or so. In this thread from 2010, two photos were posted that seemed to indicate that they had done both. Here are the photos from that thread. The bottom photo is Terrell Owens, so it would have to be from 2010. Does anyone know at what point Carson Palmer wore a speed helmet? I'm a Bengals fan and should know, but I don't.

palmerspeed.jpg

09000d5d81b06d27.jpg

The last photo seems to suggest decals. Look how the stripes appear separated down the middle into panels. Also, you can see where the stripes overlap the helmet vents.

My brother linked me to a ESPN Q&A session for the 49ers saying they were supposed to wear throwbacks this year, any credibility to this or just a rumor?

image.png

so it would be this look?

I think this came up months ago in this thread, but no one said anything one way or the other. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it as their 2013 throwback.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

palmerspeed.jpg

09000d5d81b06d27.jpg

The last photo seems to suggest decals. Look how the stripes appear separated down the middle into panels. Also, you can see where the stripes overlap the helmet vents.

I think i see the top one as decals too, i think i see the ridges that would make them decals

http://minnesota.pub...it/football.jpg

I think this picture shows the use of decals

Actually, it looks like the opposite. If you look closely you can see that the black stripes are not raised, but instead lower than the orange. That helmet was painted black, tape/decals were put on, then it was painted orange and those stripes were removed.

you can see the holes covered in this pic. Look at the 2nd stripe.

Actually, it looks like the opposite. If you look closely you can see that the black stripes are not raised, but instead lower than the orange. That helmet was painted black, tape/decals were put on, then it was painted orange and those stripes were removed.

I don't see it. Both vents which would be visible from that angle (the top-center one and the back one) are uncovered, and in fact one has a stripe cut out to accomdate it. Click to enlarge the photo and it's pretty clear that the orange is raised above the stripes. You can also see a few spots (on the first and second stripe from the front) where the orange paint around the stripes has peeled/chipped away, and more black is exposed.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't see it. Both vents which would be visible from that angle (the top-center one and the back one) are uncovered, and in fact one has a stripe cut out to accomdate it. Click to enlarge the photo and it's pretty clear that the orange is raised above the stripes. You can also see a few spots (on the first and second stripe from the front) where the orange paint around the stripes has peeled/chipped away, and more black is exposed.

Now that you say it I believe you are right, i was looking at it the other way where i thought it looked like the stripes were raised, thus meaning decals

palmerspeed.jpg

09000d5d81b06d27.jpg

I think i see the top one as decals too, i think i see the ridges that would make them decals

The second obviously has decals. It was chosen to demonstrate that, if they paint, they haven't done it exclusively as late as 2010. As for the first, the presence of ridges does not necessarily indicate decals. The stripes are taped onto a black helmet, it's painted orange, then they're removed, leaving the black stripes. The ridge could be the edge of a paint line..

DeMarcus Ware's new helmet:

I really hate this new trend in the NFL.

485402_10151516646121263_780521174_n.jpg

stupid how the special injury specific masks are now becoming everyday...no need for that many bars.

...You know that DeMarcus had a neck injury though right?

Archived