2012-13 MLB Off-Season Thread

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no idea what the Royals are doing.

They're trying hard not to finish last in the AL Central in 2013.

It kinda reminds me of the Florida Panthers last year, except they won their division by accident.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I'll just say this with the Royals trade.

If they are actually serious about resigning both Shields and Davis its not a bad deal, because they need pitching and don't have anything on the farm. So the only way they are going to get better in that department is via trade or free agency and pitching does not come by cheaply. I don't know if you can build a rotation around James Shields, but you can certainly throw him out there against anybody and have confidence in him that he will give you a shot to win. So if they're serious locking up both those guys, it may be that bad of a deal.

If they are not serious about locking them up, then they just gave away a potential all-star for a rent a player on a team that probably is still a little short of being able to seriously contend. It goes without saying that's its a dumb deal if that happens.

I don't know what the Royals will do. History says they're going to pull a Jeffrey Loria and get rid of everybody if there's not instant success and go back to hoarding prospects with the hope they'll all become all-stars at the same time. But their salary is roughly middle of the road now at what will probably end up being about $75 million, so there could be a chance they are looking at this move beyond this year.

3 way deal between the Indians, D-Backs, and Reds is complete:

Reds get: OF Shin-Soo Choo and Jason Donald (from Indians)

Indians get: RHP Trevor Bauer, RHP Matt Albers, RHP Bryan Shaw (from Diamondbacks), and OF Drew Stubbs (from Reds)

Diamondbacks get: SS Didi Gregorius (from Reds), LHP Tony Sipp, and Lars Anderson (from Indians)

Can't remember a trade like this where I think all 3 teams did well.

Maybe that DBacks, Yankees, Tigers deal that involved Granderson and Austin Jackson. Though I bet the Yankees would take Jackson back in a heart beat.

Tigers also got Scherzer in that deal. To this point, they have benefited the most.

spacer.png

Word on the "street" (and we all know how reliable the street is...)

The Phillies offered Hamilton 3/$80M. Seattle and someone else (probably Texas) has also offered 3 years, but the Phillies can outspend and will intentionally overpay for the shorter length. Whoever goes 5 years first will get him, even if the $/year is lower. If the Phillies GM will go 4, that could get it done, though they really don't want to go more than 3.

Public opinion seems to be split, though while pretty much everyone agrees that shorter is better considering the various risks and nobody thinks 5 is a good idea, most are of the "F it" mindset, figuring that there's only another year left in this team so they just need to do whatever regardless of future ramifications.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'll try not to get too attached to Mr Choo while he's here, but I love the trade.

Gregorious wasn't getting in with Cozart at short, and Drew Stubbs is a strikeout king (good luck with that in the AL, Cleveland) and his on-base percentage is awful. He plays good defense, but it never made up for how subpar he is at the plate. He's made a lot of good plays that have helped the Reds in recent years, but I'm not shedding a tear over him leaving.

I predict they'll entertain Choo in centerfield for a few spring training games, but will ultimately decide to play him in right field with Jay Bruce in centerfield.

The Reds lineup now looks like this: 1 Choo, 2 Phillips, 3 Votto, 4. Ludwick, 5. Bruce, 6. Frazier, 7. Cozart, 8. Hanigan. I love it.

Also they have catcher, second base, first base, third base, shortstop, right field, left field, all 5 starting pitchers, and their closer under control through 2014. 4 of the 5 starters will be with the team through 2015 and world class sprinter Billy Hamilton will be a major leaguer by the end of 2013. This is their window of opportunity.

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's weird seeing the Reds make good deals over the last 5 or so years.

I don't like it one bit...

:P

Walt Jocketty.

Thanks for sending him our way, St Louisians.

that and a new owner willing to write checks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Walt Jocketty.

Not many good things come out of St. Louis, but Walt Jocketty is definitely one of them along with Ludwick.

LaRussa can suck it.

Walt Jocketty.

Not many good things come out of St. Louis, but Walt Jocketty is definitely one of them along with Ludwick.

LaRussa can suck it.

2 of their 11 World Series Championships in the last 7 seasons.

Reds, none since 1990. Hell have they even won a playoff series since 1995?

That's just a smidge of an overall comparison. Suck it, you.

Archived