2012-13 MLB Off-Season Thread

Wow. How does signing a 3rd/4th starter for 5 years and $15 mil a year help a rebuilding team which won't compete for at least another year? Did Theo let Hendry make this signing for old time's sake?

Looks like Sanchez and Danny Haren are going to be the big splashes of the Cubs' rescinded pitching rotation.

Haren signed with the Nats over a week ago.

Look up the definition of "rescinded".

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its so fun to go to a game Dickey pitches

I agree.

You can't have your cake and eat it too though. The Mets will hopefully be a better team, long term, by making this deal. There are no guarantees these prospects pan out. Of course there are no guarantees Dickey will ever match what he did in 2012 either.

You want the Mets to become winners again yet you don't want to make a trade that makes way too much sense from a baseball stance? Which one is it?

You know what's NOT fun? Going to the other 130 Met games where he DOESN'T pitch and they go 2 weeks without scoring more than 3 runs at home and all that jazz. This d'Arnaud and Gose COULD (I'm not saying WILL, I'm saying COULD) be long-term impact everyday players for the Mets, whom you'd be getting for a 38 year old pitcher who will never have more value. You make this trade everyday and twice on Sunday.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Metsblog:

The Mets and Blue Jays have agreed in principle to a trade which will send R.A. Dickey, Josh Thole and a Minor Leaguer to Toronto, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports.

Rosenthal says Dickey and the Blue Jays have until Tuesday at 2:00 pm ET to agree to a contract extension - Dickey is reportedly open to a contract extension with the Blue Jays.

Multiple reports indicate the Mets will be getting top Blue Jays prospect C Travis d’Arnaud along with C John Buck, RHP Noah Syndergaard (who is considered Toronto’s third best prospect), and another minor leaguer.

The Blue Jays could reportedly add cash to the deal or another prospect to help offset Buck’s $6 million salary for 2013.

I just remembered that Josh Hamilton is good friends with CJ Wilson. They became buddies and Wilson helped Josh stay away from drugs and alcohol, as he himself is "straight-edge." I wouldn't doubt Wilson being there had some influence on Hamilton signing there. Oh, and aside from the straight-edge thing, Wilson is a douche.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, but he's a douche in an entertaining way, which is more than you can say for most terminally boring baseball players.

"Yeah, actually I'm really interested in narwhals right now, so I'm working on opening a narwhal research center, it's going to be called the C.J. Wilson Narwhal Research Center, I actually designed the floor plan, we're set to break ground in four to six months, I'm actually going to set the tile in the rotunda, I read a book on tile last week."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Baseball America has d'Arnaud & Snydergaard 1-2 in the Blue Jays system. This is a coup for the Mets if Dickey agrees to the extension.

AA is sick of waiting. This will back fire huge if the Jays haven't at least gotten to a World Series by the time Dickey is done. But you can never have enough pitching. Giants and Cards have proved that. Still need a bullpen though.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'm actually kind of hoping the Jays fail to sign Dickey.

And lose out on TDA and Syndergaard in the process? Gotta take at least some pride out of this.

I was under the impression that the deal would fall through if we can't sign him. Can anyone verify this?

EDIT - From Sports Illustrated:

"The trade of NL Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey to the Toronto Blue Jays is nearly complete, according to multiple reports. FOX Sports reports that the two sides have agreed on a seven-player deal that is contingent on Dickey signing a contract extension with the Blue Jays."

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I'm actually kind of hoping the Jays fail to sign Dickey.

And lose out on TDA and Syndergaard in the process? Gotta take at least some pride out of this.

I was under the impression that the deal would fall through if we can't sign him. Can anyone verify this?

EDIT - From Sports Illustrated:

"The trade of NL Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey to the Toronto Blue Jays is nearly complete, according to multiple reports. FOX Sports reports that the two sides have agreed on a seven-player deal that is contingent on Dickey signing a contract extension with the Blue Jays."

AH!

Well from what I've heard, he wants to re-up. So, what can we get out of a 38 yr old knuckleballer in the AL? Tis, the mystery.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I hate losing Dickey, but if these prospects work out the Mets will look good down the road and I am sure they can dump off Buck on somebody. BTW Josh Thole sucksssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I hate losing Dickey, but if these prospects work out the Mets will look good down the road and I am sure they can dump off Buck on somebody. BTW Josh Thole sucksssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Buck isn't going anywhere if the trade goes through. He'll be the starter in April then d'Arnaud would be called up after 20 days so his full year of major league service doesn't accrue for an extra year, delaying free-agency.

Thole is only going there to be a backup/Dickey's personal catcher.

Wow. How does signing a 3rd/4th starter for 5 years and $15 mil a year help a rebuilding team which won't compete for at least another year? Did Theo let Hendry make this signing for old time's sake?

Looks like Sanchez and Danny Haren are going to be the big splashes of the Cubs' rescinded pitching rotation.

Haren signed with the Nats over a week ago.

Look up the definition of "rescinded".

I didn't read it correctly. It was like 1 am....

This Blue Jays fan is a little torn.

Part of me is really freaking excited that after years of stockpiling prospects, they have turned into an extremely talented team that now EXPECTS to make the playoffs.

Part of me is really freaking nervous about what happens if this doesn't work out now that the farm system is empty.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Archived