2012-13 MLB Off-Season Thread

It's weird seeing the Reds make good deals over the last 5 or so years.

I don't like it one bit...

:P

Walt Jocketty.

Thanks for sending him our way, St Louisians.

that and a new owner willing to write checks.

Not many good things come out of St. Louis, but Walt Jocketty is definitely one of them along with Ludwick.

LaRussa can suck it.

2 of their 11 World Series Championships in the last 7 seasons.

Reds, none since 1990. Hell have they even won a playoff series since 1995?

That's just a smidge of an overall comparison. Suck it, you.

BFIB!

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So he's allowed to just randomly insult the Cardinals/St. Louis, but we can't reply back?

No.

Glad Reds fans don't have some complex of their own.

Our feelings towards Cardinals fans are not unique.

Besides, it was aimed at Mings for his ignorant remark.

St. Louis is okay. The 45 minutes I spent there in 2011 were fine, and I'm a big fan of the Sklar brothers and everyone was really nice to my friends when they went to watch OU play in the Sweet Sixteen last year.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You made a jump too, McCall.

Someone saying they don't like St. Louis and LaRussa can suck it doesn't equal someone saying the Reds are greater or better than the Cards. That just means he doesn't like St. Louis or LaRussa.

So someone doesn't like your team or crotchety former manager, that doesn't mean you have to count your banners and wave your dick about it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

So he's allowed to just randomly insult the Cardinals/St. Louis, but we can't reply back?

I dunno, you could maybe ignore it? He wasn't talking about you, just the city and team.

I dunno, you could maybe ignore it? He wasn't talking about you, just the city and team.

Then why are you guys getting worked up when I compared them to the Reds? Just ignore it. Oh yeah, double standard.

Then why are you guys getting worked up when I compared them to the Reds? Just ignore it. Oh yeah, double standard.

I never said anything about the Cardinals or Reds and am far from worked up about it. You just don't have to take it so personally when someone critcizes anything the BFIB like.

Wow - Buster Olney claims the Phillies offered Ichiro 2/$14M. Surprises the hell out of me. No matter though, as he re-upped with NY.

Below is from beat writer Matt Gelb:

The reported offer tells us four things:

1. The Phillies are turned off by the demands of the top corner outfielders on the market, Josh Hamilton, Nick Swisher and Cody Ross. This has long been the sentiment of rival executives, who had predicted a splash from Ruben Amaro Jr., only for silence to persist. The Phillies are wary of any commitment longer than three years to a player over 30, and in some cases, that is too long. Hamilton is seeking upward of five years. Swisher could net at least four years. And Ross is reportedly looking for three years.

2. The power must come from Utley and Howard. The Phillies are attempting to augment the middle of their lineup with hitter who put the ball in play. Young and Revere are not high on-base guys. Neither is Ichiro (in recent years). But Young and Ichiro are career .300 hitters and Revere reached .294 as a 24-year-old centerfielder. While there is a veritable lack of power on the corners, they are banking on production from Utley and Howard.

3. Had Ichiro signed, the Phillies would possess approximately $13 million to spend for 2013. With three new acquisitions for the lineup, the remaining funds could have been directed toward pitching upgrades. Amaro has stated he wants a "low-risk, high-reward" fifth starter. He could have aimed higher there and still had money for a veteran setup man.

4. They value the 16th overall pick in June's draft. This is an under-reported element of the winter's happenings. That pick is the highest for the Phillies since 2001. If they sign Hamilton or Swisher, they would forfeit that pick. They would also forfeit the bonus money that is tied to that pick, which drains their overall money pool for signing all drafted players under the new CBA. That pick holds great value considering all of the minor-league talent Amaro has dealt in the last three years.

Whatever the case, Amaro has stressed his need to be "creative" this winter. The reported Ichiro offer certainly falls in that category, for better or worse.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wow - 5 years. Figured someone would do it. Supposedly Phillies had a shot to get it done but refused to go 5. Not sure if they even went 4.

EDIT - apparently they weren't really a major player.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Trout, Hamilton, Pujols and Trumbo. Good luck with that lineup.

As for the years, somebody was going to going to cave. I think the Angels are angry at losing Greinke and I think see this as a way to not only land a big bat but also take away a big bat from one of their biggest division rival.

Archived