2012-13 MLB Off-Season Thread

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sad thing for Cubs fans, is that will likely be the pitching addition that is not rescinded later on.

What a :censored: ty contract that is for an inconsistent pitcher.

They can always trade him. No team can resist Edwin Jackson!

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Yet Edin got a $2 million raise in the process.

I'm so happy that the Nats didn't re-sign him and instead replaced him in the rotation with Dan Haren*.

* 2013 results pending of course. I might have buyers remorse if Haren doesn't pan out, but we'll see what happens.

The sad thing for Cubs fans, is that will likely be the pitching addition that is not rescinded later on.

As a White Sox fan, I can sadly say that this is true.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yup, could not have possibly seen this one coming. I swear the Pohlads have some sort of Tommy John fetish. That or they really like guys with ERAs larger than 4.00.

Here's the Twins solid starting rotation for 2013:

Kevin Correia

Vance Worley

Mike Pelfrey

Scott Diamond

Liam Hendriks/Cole De Vries/Bert Blyleven/That Guy in Section 122 Bragging to the Cracker Jack Vendor About How He Threw a Shutout in High School

All* of these guys would be 3rd-5th starters at best on most major league teams, but this year they will all have a chance to be the Twins' #1 "ace".

*To be fair, Scott Diamond and Vance Worley are young with plenty of potential, but I doubt their careers will turn out well if Rick Anderson has any say.

Diamond was legit last year. He would have made everyone's rotation. Other than that, ugh.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

Β 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That's World Series Champion Edwin Jackson to you.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Since I have no thoughts one way or the other on the Jackson/Cubs rumors, here's a cool knuckleball gif.

MbYee.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-athletics-coliseum-oakland-san-jose-20121221,0,3921535.story

The A's lease at the Coliseum expires after this season. The team has waited almost four years for Commissioner Bud Selig to approve or reject the proposed move to San Jose.

In a letter to the body that governs the Coliseum, A's owner Lew Wolff agreed to keep the team in Oakland for at least five years "regardless of the outcome of our efforts to obtain a new facility in the City of San Jose."

Wolff added: "The A’s organization certainly prefers to remain in Oakland for the next five years rather than being forced into looking elsewhere for a temporary home venue. If possible, we should retain the 130 full-time jobs and the almost 800 union jobs that encompass a full baseball season, the fun of the A’s, and Major League Baseball in Oakland for five more years.

"I believe the A’s have a great deal to contribute to the area for the next five years, and even thereafter."

Good move if the city approves, and why wouldn't they. The fact that Ol' Bud has spent over four years dithering on the San Jose thing is as good a sign as any that it just isn't meant to be. Here's hoping they can make the best of what they have in Oakland. Perhaps the Raiders will move their games to Santa Clara, which would let them rededicate the Oakland Coliseum to baseball, or perhaps slap up a replacement park in the parking lot.

Since I have no thoughts one way or the other on the Jackson/Cubs rumors, here's a cool knuckleball gif.

MbYee.gif

How the hell does a knuckleball work in a dome? I thought the movement was caused by the wind?

I can't answer your question. But for whatever reason knuckleballers excel indoors. Tim Wakefield always trounced the Jays in Toronto and Dickey's one start in a dome was a 1 hitter.

1zqy8ok.gif

MbYee.gif

How the hell does a knuckleball work in a dome? I thought the movement was caused by the wind?

I can't answer your question. But for whatever reason knuckleballers excel indoors. Tim Wakefield always trounced the Jays in Toronto and Dickey's one start in a dome was a 1 hitter.

Consistent control. Wind isn't bad, but if its blowing out towards the pitcher, it can be hard to control that pitch.

MbYee.gif

Wakefield was 6-5 with a 4.65 ERA in Toronto.

Tim Wakefield, just from anecdotal memory, always did excellent during the hot, humid, summer months, but once it got late in the season, he was much more hittable.

Though my memory might be slightly influenced because I'm remembering what the Rays did against him late in 2008, when Maddon implemented the ideology of the switch hitters batting right against Wake. And this led to some disastrous results for Wakefield.

spacer.png

Kramerica is right; the humidity definitely helped Wakefield's knuckle and since realizing that, I've always assumed all knuckleballs act in such a manner.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Β 

Β 

Knuckleballers ought to flourish in Miami, then.

Maddon implemented the ideology of the switch hitters batting right

Or he "told switch-hitters to bat right," six of one, half a dozen of the implemented ideological other

Archived