2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

The old lightning look was terrible in every way IMO.

I picked the Blackhawks as my team when playing NHL championship 2000 as a kid on my computer because they had the coolest jerseys (and partially because of Wayne's World). If the Lightning had been wearing their current sweaters in that game, i'd almost certainly be a lightning fan now.

I get the whole faux original six argument, but it's clean, simple and beautiful. There is a reason the original 6 jerseys look so good and there is a reason teams copy them. The lightning made an absolutely terrific change.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I miss that look.

stamkos.jpg

Is it an unpopular opinion that I think these uniforms were awful? Those may have been my least favorite uniforms in the league. I can't find one thing that I like about that look.

No.

The current Lightning would look much better with the roundel as the chest logo, it's a far superior logo in every way

I never have understood the premise of putting a yoke on one sweater and not the other.

If the white is going to have a red yoke, then I think the red should have a white yoke. It's more symmetrical and linked, that way, and that it would be a red yoke/white yoke thing distances it further from the Devils.

Plenty of teams have done this over the years...

Buffalo, Calgary, Boston, Cleveland, Minnesota, Montreal, New York Rangers, Phoenix, St. Louis

When did the bruins do this?

According to NHL Uniforms, 1948-1949:

Bruins13.png

70389454.png

I'm on my phone so I can't post it here but what was wrong with the Lightning's inaugural season lettering with the blue drop shadow? It made that original sweater very unique as opposed to 1996 where it was very cartoony or 2004 which made it look plain.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Is the black cuff still on the bottom of the pants? I can't tell from the vine video.

I would hate to lose that element too.

It's hard to tell if that is a shadow or indeed a black cuff, hopefully it is there.

untitled-6.jpg

I'm on my in phone so I can't post it here but what was wrong with the Lightning's inaugural season lettering with the blue drop shadow? It made that original sweater very unique as opposed to 1996 where it was very cartoony or 2004 which made it look plain.

FYP

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Best they've ever worn, but still flawed. Blue wasn't prominent enough, and they used the darker Maple Leafs blue which ended up getting lost in the black. Some more Hawaiian Blue, and perhaps a more creative striping pattern would have gone a long way.

And the awesome 2007 logo. The one they used on those was horrible, and did look clip-artish.

Archived