2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

The current Ducks template doesn't have a yoke cut, so there's no place for a shoulder patch. The Mighty Ducks jersey had the patch on shoulders so they may just use a new template all together. C'est la vie

Um, the current Ducks third jerseys have shoulder patches and have for a few years. As far as Mighty Ducks go, they originally did not have a shoulder patch, the patch came that you posted first appeared in 1996-1997.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The current Ducks template doesn't have a yoke cut, so there's no place for a shoulder patch. The Mighty Ducks jersey had the patch on shoulders so they may just use a new template all together. C'est la vie

Um, the current Ducks third jerseys have shoulder patches and have for a few years. As far as Mighty Ducks go, they originally did not have a shoulder patch, the patch came that you posted first appeared in 1996-1997.
I was meaning the home and away templates

IbjBaeE.png

The Ducks held their season ticket party today and you can find a picture of the "retro" jersey printed on a bag. It is minor but still confirms what we already know. I hate the 20th anniversary patch. It is going to ruin this jersey. Eggplant and teal with a tad of orange, black and gold. Also the NHL logo is not present on the collar of the jersey. I think this is just a mistake.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151741924128472.1073741834.99917438471&type=1

I was meaning the home and away templates

I know. But the square yoke vs. a round yoke is a non-issue.

I really don't see Reebok letting them go onto the ice with a throwback that isn't adapted to an EDGE cut. That picture of the bag is just the anniversary logo pasted on the original jerseys. I wouldn't look too much into it being what they're going to wear exactly.

OttawaSenators.png

Montreal gets their stripe all the way around. The team they're going to play, Ottawa, gets their stripes all the way around on their throwback (with shoulder patches). And hell, there's a side design and shoulder patches on the Ducks current 3rd jersey. It can be done.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Montreal gets their stripe all the way around. The team they're going to play, Ottawa, gets their stripes all the way around on their throwback (with shoulder patches). And hell, there's a side design and shoulder patches on the Ducks current 3rd jersey. It can be done.

That's always bothered me about the Ducks' Edge jerseys. The stripe looked better on the pre-Edge jerseys when it wrapped all the way around. Why didn't they get a jersey cut that allowed a wraparound stripe?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Wait, do you want the jerseys to have the NHL logo on the collar? They would be even more inaccurate.

I just want an updated Ducks jersey. I like the NHL logo on the collar. I have been excited to see how they pull it off.

Now that we know what the retro looks like I wonder if there will be a different one for the outdoor game. I would hope they go old/new school. Current colours with the Duck mask on the front or bring back the Anaheim script.

That's always bothered me about the Ducks' Edge jerseys. The stripe looked better on the pre-Edge jerseys when it wrapped all the way around. Why didn't they get a jersey cut that allowed a wraparound stripe?
They were among the few (like Colorado and Dallas for example) that were told that their striping wouldn't transfer to the EDGE template. But instead of conforming to something without stripes like Dallas or templated with piping like Colorado, they chose to stick with it and truncate the stripe. Considering they changed jerseys the year before the EDGE changeover, you'd think this was something they would have considered when designing the jerseys (which I think Buffalo did with the Buffaslug jerseys), but hey.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I have a general question about NHL jerseys these days...

Why do teams stick with one design for several years in this day in age of marketing opportunites and profiteering schemes? Seriously. Why not come out with a new design every year or so like in the EPL. The Canucks have had the exact same jersey for coming on 7 years...canucks fans would lap up new/current designs like fools and I'm sure a lot of other NHL teams' fans would too.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

They've probably just got a picture of the old jersey, stuck on the 20th Anniversary patch and called it a day. There's no reason to assume the NHL shield won't be there, seeing as every jersey since 2007 - throwbacks included - has featured it at the collar.

Damn it, I want to get excited for this. I've been wanting this to happen since the rebrand took it away. And now here it is. I'm glad it is, but, I'm having a hard time believing it. Maybe that'll change when they actually reveal the jersey.

Why do teams stick with one design for several years in this day in age of marketing opportunites and profiteering schemes? Seriously. Why not come out with a new design every year or so like in the EPL. The Canucks have had the exact same jersey for coming on 7 years...canucks fans would lap up new/current designs like fools and I'm sure a lot of other NHL teams' fans would too.

Why would they? Changing the jerseys every year would dilute a team's brand. Fan X has just bought a new jersey, and now they feel like their money has gone to waste because the team's gone and changed it again.

Frankly, the way the EPL does it is stupid.

Now that we know what the retro looks like I wonder if there will be a different one for the outdoor game. I would hope they go old/new school. Current colours with the Duck mask on the front or bring back the Anaheim script.

I've seen rumours on HF Boards of a Mighty Ducks jersey in the current colours. But with the classic white jersey being popular and the Ducks being the visiting team in the outdoor game, it's likely we could see that used instead.

The Anaheim script would be a letdown for me. That jersey has the classic appeal, sure, but I liked it better as a compliment to the original uniforms. On its own it's pretty generic. Plus, we really don't need another script jersey. It's bad enough that we've already got two in full rotation.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Oh boy.......

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

Oh boy.......

Oh boy what? I'm just wondering why one sports league does it so differently to another. I'm more in favour of how the NHL goes about things but I would have thought they would be milking the fans' want to buy new merch more regularly these days.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Oh boy.......
Oh boy what? I'm just wondering why one sports league does it so differently to another. I'm more in favour of how the NHL goes about things but I would have thought they would be milking the fans' want to buy new merch more regularly these days.

Really the American Sports way of doing it is greatly different to the British/European model. Granted, they could shift more jerseys if they kept redesigning them but some fans tend to buy multiple versions of the same jersey with a different player's name and number on the back. From my understanding, jerseys sell more than any other apparel or merchandise. So from a business perspective, why bother changing every year when people are buying multiple units of the same jersey anyway?

Some teams you may never see change their regular uniforms for years, if ever. Teams like Montreal, Detroit, Toronto, they have a distinct, timeless look to them. Any changes they make to the uniform are minimal at best (save for the Leafs original Edge jersey) and that becomes part of the appeal of both that jersey and that team. The Montreal Canadiens red jersey for example, it's had minor adjustments made to it over time but it's basically been the same thing for almost a hundred years. It's got a lot of history attached to it. Again, that's part of the appeal and that's why they can continue selling that jersey for years without touching it.

Sometimes teams will use the opportunity to milk their fans with new jerseys anyway. Thirds that sometimes end up being more popular than the regular uniforms, or throwback jerseys. Sometimes even fauxbacks. Thirds are fresh, new, and help mix things up a bit, especially if the team's home and away uniforms are dull. Meanwhile throwbacks, and to a similar extent fauxbacks, have that historical appeal to them. Fans will lap it up, and the team doesn't risk losing sales of their traditional home and road uniforms. Sometimes the third/throwback will be popular enough to warrant the team changing to that as the basis of a new set, and then the cycle repeats itself in a couple years time.

If there's anything that really bugs me about the EPL way of doing it, it's how ice hockey teams here in the UK imitate that model. One year, my local hockey team will have a traditional looking uniform. Next year, they'll have a different variation on that uniform. And the next, they'll have an ugly, horrific mess with no thought put into it. It's bad enough that my local team's logo sucks and the jerseys have adverts all over them, but the fact that they keep changing it every year is also really off putting for me.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

was starting to worry about the isles' brand slipping away: http://snynets.com/nets/marketing-synergy-in-brooklyn-can-the-nets-woo-isles-fans/ buuuuut...

yormark says no color change, but predictably, a new third. news here though is a "patch that speaks to brooklyn": http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/yormark-isles-colors-will-not-change-will-add-third-jersey/

sig2024.png

The Canadiens wore whites during the centennial that CCM cut, without the shield as well. Maybe the Ducks will also?

Calgary wore CCM throwbacks a couple years ago and just added the shield to the old-style collar.

This, of course, begs the question that if the old CCM cut is apparently still available to teams, why on Earth do they all still wear the hideous Edge template?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Canadiens wore whites during the centennial that CCM cut, without the shield as well. Maybe the Ducks will also?

Calgary wore CCM throwbacks a couple years ago and just added the shield to the old-style collar.

This, of course, begs the question that if the old CCM cut is apparently still available to teams, why on Earth do they all still wear the hideous Edge template?

I don't think they are. The Flames were forced to switch to the EDGE template the year after, when they decided to keep those jerseys

Archived