2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

that sabres jersey is the worst jersey i've ever seen in the NHL.

honestly. worse than their own buffaslug, or the burger king, or the mooterus, fishsticks, or wildwing.

the captain's patches solidify that, when before that, i thought the claim of "worst ever" was possible but shakey. now it's rock. hard. horrible.

Has anyone coined a name for this monstrosity...a la "Buffaslug", "Burger King", "Mooterus", "Fishsticks" or "Wildwing"?

I can haz sig?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

honestly. worse than their own buffaslug, or the burger king, or the mooterus, fishsticks, or wildwing.

the captain's patches solidify that, when before that, i thought the claim of "worst ever" was possible but shakey. now it's rock. hard. horrible.

Has anyone coined a name for this monstrosity...a la "Buffaslug", "Burger King", "Mooterus", "Fishsticks" or "Wildwing"?

People seem to be calling it "the cape", but I prefer Sodboy's name, "The Mullet".

PvO6ZWJ.png

I REALLY believe this is the worst ever. Useless city name on the front, it's 2 colours (which makes it look like a cape), and they put their captain's patches on the shoulders.

Even worse than these? No way!

Edmonton+Oilers+v+Ottawa+Senators+ORLHkj

Although I hate both those Ducks and Oilers jerseys, at least they have a theme that does not hurt my eyes

Honestly? They're way worse than those oilers jerseys. Those are too plain, pajama-like, with nonsense on it,

The Sabres new ones are garish, plus nonsense.

It's not the same level as the Wild Wing jerseys, those are silly and unprofessional, but it's in the same category as the Flying V, overly bold, garish, ugly, nonsensical, ugly, and so on.

Putting them as the absolute worst jersey ever worn in the NHL ever is a tough sell, but they're most definitely in the conversation.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Well considering no one here or anywhere on the internet likes it, that leaves the question as to who would shell out 175-250$ for it? According to all the responses, that would mean nobody.

Also, would anybody wear it in public without being embarrassed?

Icethetics retweeted a graphic of the Sabres' 3rd from the team media guide:

buffalo3rd_zpsd62d379e.jpg

Wavy sock stripe with a tapered silver wedge. And the captain's patch goes on the shoulder because hey, at this point, why the :censored: not?

This is one of the worst jerseys to ever see NHL ice. Its up there with the flying V and Burger King jerseys.

I can definitely understand why people on these boards do not like the Sabres new alternate but calling it one of the "worst to ever see the ice" is a huge exaggeration... Especially considering how bad the initial crop of edge jerseys were... Just about every jersey in my sig is worse than Buffalo's new alt...

I REALLY believe this is the worst ever. Useless city name on the front, it's 2 colours(which makes it look like a cape), and they put their captain's patches on the shoulders

I just realized... no front numbers, though! So it's got that going for it...

The Sabres alternate makes the Islanders alt look like a classic.

I honestly have noticed that my opinion of the Islanders alt has significantly improved since this monstrosity was revealed.

Well considering no one here or anywhere on the internet likes it, that leaves the question as to who would shell out 175-250$ for it? According to all the responses, that would mean nobody.

Also, would anybody wear it in public without being embarrassed?

Given the Buffaslug's initial sales number, all of upstate New York.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The more I look at that Dallas set, the more I feel it actually doesn't need an outline. They've gone out of their way to keep black and green separate. A black outline would bleed into the green on the jersey. There's no point.

I disagree. Here's a kelly green and black jersey done right.

2012031621-20-36169.jpg

The black outlines dont bleed into the green at all since kelly is light enough to contrast. The NoDak jerseys look LIGHT YEARS better than the new Stars, who IMO look like a team in my rec league that had their names/numbers put on at the pro shop.

that's what i'm thinking. green and black are separated in all but one or two instances. it just looks clean to have one color on such a simple template.

i don't think the red wings, maple leafs, canucks, cleveland browns, san francisco 49ers, or minnesota vikings look "rec league" with one color numbers.

again, those teams don't have beveled and outlined logos on the same jersey.

I don't see how one uniform is "LIGHT YEARS" ahead of another when they are both very simple green and black jerseys. You may prefer one to the other, but it's not as if one jersey is obviously superior to the other.

Secondly, while you believe the lack of an outline is cheap, I look at the font itself. The Stars have a custom font that is completely their own, while UND uses a standard block that almost every high school in America has used at some point. It's a hell lot more expensive to order uniforms with a custom font compared to an extra outline.

so your point is what exactly? That the Stars number font costs more so therefor it looks better? :Oo:

I couldnt care less that NoDak uses a block font, I used that pic to show a kelly green jersey where the white numbers are outlined in black to dispel the "bleeding" myth. The font is irrelevant. Not only does it not "bleed" it looks MUCH better and more professional than a non-outlined white number on a jersey where you have a 3 dimensional logo.

What's my point? You said the Stars numbers looked "rec league" while raising up an example of something that looked even more "rec league" from my point of view. (BTW, those UND numbers are double-outlined in green and black)

Either way, the numbers read fine with or without an outline and it's pretty obvious that Dallas wanted to go with a faux-classic look and the single color numbers help drive that idea home. And if you're trying to make a case that a simple number outline is the difference in one sweater being light years ahead of another sweater, then I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise. Personally, I think believing that any outlined number is automatically better than any single-colored number is a little narrow minded to say the least.

Either way, the numbers read fine with or without an outline and it's pretty obvious that Dallas wanted to go with a faux-classic look and the single color numbers help drive that idea home. And if you're trying to make a case that a simple number outline is the difference in one sweater being light years ahead of another sweater, then I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise. Personally, I think believing that any outlined number is automatically better than any single-colored number is a little narrow minded to say the least.

Having single-layered numbers when you have more than two colours stopped being a "thing" in the NHL after the 1930s (Chicago being the exception), so it really has nothing do with achieving an "old-timey" look.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Having single-layered numbers when you have more than two colours stopped being a "thing" in the NHL after the 1930s (Chicago being the exception), so it really has nothing do with achieving an "old-timey" look.

Oh, I never said it was an "accurate" idea... I just believe that was probably the reasoning behind it; similar to how none of the original 6 teams wore "vintage white" jerseys but teams throwback with it anyway.

People seem to be calling it "the cape", but I prefer Sodboy's name, "The Mullet".

But it's neither business in the front, or a party in the back. It's more like a circus.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Oh, I never said it was an "accurate" idea... I just believe that was probably the reasoning behind it; similar to how none of the original 6 teams wore "vintage white" jerseys but teams throwback with it anyway.

Uh, no, that's not true.

Blackhawks08.png

Also, if you consider the pants color back then to be vintage white, then the Canadiens, Rangers, Bruins and Leafs all wore it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Chicago Steel just tweeted pic of their new jersey. Do the small black stripes on the arms and hem make this better than Carolina's?

BUZ6kiICIAAcc_2_zps422a3979.jpg

Marginally, but the phantom yoke instantly negates any improvement.

But it's neither business in the front, or a party in the back. It's more like a circus.

And what hairstyle are carnival performers most partial to? The defense rests, your honor.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Calling it The Mullet would be like giving it a compliment it doesn't deserve. The Cape makes more sense.

The Stars' numbers look like they could use an outline on the green jersey, and the black would bleed into the green more than the white, meaning the white numbers would still be highly legible.

But what about on the white jerseys? The black outline would still blend with the green more than the white, so the numbers would look bigger, less defined, and harder to read.

I think they scrapped the outline because it didn't work well on both jerseys. They wouldn't do it on one without the other. After all, why would they work so hard to separate the green and the black at all times?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Calling it The Mullet would be like giving it a compliment it doesn't deserve. The Cape makes more sense.

I know they're revered up there in Canada, but calling it The Mullet is NOT a compliment.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I know they're revered up there in Canada, but calling it The Mullet is NOT a compliment.

Up here we call it "hockey hair".

Uh, no, that's not true.

Blackhawks08.png

Also, if you consider the pants color back then to be vintage white, then the Canadiens, Rangers, Bruins and Leafs all wore it.

Personally, I'd consider that to be a Blackhawks color at the time. And I wouldn't count the pants either as they were the hockey equivalent of grey facemasks in football during that era... But hey, if you disagree, that's fine.

Archived