Looks that are TOO similar

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what this thread teaches us is that there isn't a whole lot you can do with a football jersey. They have the least interesting looks out of all other sports' jerseys.

I'd argue that football has the most you can do. You have a helmet, decently large jersey, large pants, and socks. There is a ton of interesting things you can do with those. Plus I think football allows for the best looking modern designs. Baseball is simple, not much you can do with it. Hockey has the large sweater and socks, but little room for anything on the helmet or pants. And basketball has a small jersey and a lot of designs look weird on the shorts. Football simply has the most avenues for creativity on a uniform.

I said jersey, not uniform.

123uyj9.jpg

I see less variety there than in basketball, and certainly hockey jerseys. Baseball, traditional as it is, doesn't go that far out there, but the potential is there, and more MLB teams are using colored jerseys nowadays, too.

How did the NFL even ever approve those Bills and Giants uniforms? One would think they could have easily noticed how overly similar they were and made one team switch to a different design. Did they just not care?

It was a different time. Branding wasn't what it is today.

Also don't forget the players did wear different color helmets. The Bills wore white and then red with that design. The Giants always wore blue. Different helmets and Pants make a very similar jersey look like an entirly different uniform. Re-post of what I had earler with current Giants/49ers:

The Bills and giants sort of evolved into looking like each other. Those Bills uniforms started out with two stripes on the sleeves and blue pants on the road and the stripes got widdled down to just one by the time their super bowl runs began happening. It seems like only Scott Norwood was still rocking the two stripes by then.

Also the Bills went to red blue red pants stripes in either 89 or 90 which I always liked because it mimicked the helmet stripe. The Giants stuck with the blue-red-blue stripe.

They were very similar from the neck down and the knee up, but they were accidentally similar.

I miss those Bills unis.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I thought Wisconsin's road uniform was a direct swap of their/Detroit's home, with a red body and white sleeves.

Used to be, but it got changed up a couple years ago, when they took the outlines off all the lettering.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think what this thread teaches us is that there isn't a whole lot you can do with a football jersey. They have the least interesting looks out of all other sports' jerseys.

I'd argue that football has the most you can do. You have a helmet, decently large jersey, large pants, and socks. There is a ton of interesting things you can do with those. Plus I think football allows for the best looking modern designs. Baseball is simple, not much you can do with it. Hockey has the large sweater and socks, but little room for anything on the helmet or pants. And basketball has a small jersey and a lot of designs look weird on the shorts. Football simply has the most avenues for creativity on a uniform.

I said jersey, not uniform.

123uyj9.jpg

I see less variety there than in basketball, and certainly hockey jerseys. Baseball, traditional as it is, doesn't go that far out there, but the potential is there, and more MLB teams are using colored jerseys nowadays, too.

Ah sorry, I misread there. I'd still say football has more variety than baseball and basketball. Aside from the falcons and cardinals, none of those jerseys are really that similar (unless you get technical with Philly, Tampa bay, and Baltimore). There really is a lot you can do with striping, piping, paneling, logos, etc. I will say, for the most part, the nfl seems to have more traditional and safe designs...but looking at college and pros, the variety is certainly there and is quite diverse.

maehl.png

There's something so moribund about those early Timberwolves uniforms. You take one look at them and you just know that team couldn't have been any good. It's uncanny. Maybe it's because they look so similar to the 1990s Mavericks, who were about as bad as it got.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I thought Wisconsin's road uniform was a direct swap of their/Detroit's home, with a red body and white sleeves.

That looks way better than the Red Wings' red sweater, IMHO.

This is not quite right. I've seen this replica around at games; it's the reverse of the white jersey from that era. However, the white on the bottom of the sleeves was not there. You see some pretty bad replicas at UW hockey games. The letters here are a bit off (particularly the upper-right corner of the "C". There are some worse ones at the games though, with font that is not even close. I think this replica is licensed, but they just lazily reversed the white jersey. Or maybe it's a counterfeit. I don't know.

In any case it was not a "direct" swap, but closer than what they have now.

By the way I HATE the update they made by dumping the superfluous double-outline and adding the laces. The uniform in this picture is much better in my opinion.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

university-of-wisconsin_big.jpg

That looks way better than the Red Wings' red sweater, IMHO.

But then they wouldn't have red "Wings". And I disagree.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, that should be what we're aiming for...that, or at least teams who could play against each other. When the hell are the Habs ever gonna play St. Cloud?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Well, there's always this comparison:

Matt+Moulson+John+Tavares+Edmonton+Oilers+ysVYLTTdVivl.jpg

Pretty much boils down to both the Oilers and Islanders using roundel logos and an identical colour scheme. They are somewhat samey feeling but both these teams look so darn good in those jerseys. I think having one of them revert to their 90's colour scheme would at least make them a bit more distinct from one another. Right now I imagine a very casual fan would have a hard time telling them apart, even though the logos spell out the names for them.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Right now I imagine a very casual fan would have a hard time telling them apart, even though the logos spell out the names for them.

I don't disagree that they have pretty similar looks, but I wouldn't go that far. Edmonton has a yoke, much thinner stripes, orange numbers on their home, and double-outlines for the NoB/numbers, which is more than enough to differentiate the two, even to the casual fan.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived