Holmes' NHL Designs

Jack Holmes

Jack Holmes in... An NHL Redseign!

Hi all. I've been meaning to do an entire NHL series redesign myself for some time now, and now that I have some time, I've begun one. With the lockout over too, I feel I have some new found enthusiasm as well.

I will proceed apathetically.

Anaheim:
ut1eT.png

This inspired the series. Personally, I prefer their current black, copper and orange color scheme. But I was on a walk and I had this idea for an eggplant and jade jersey, and it became too much for me, I just had to see what it would look like. I also wondered why I don't see many Ducks' concepts in 'eggplant and jade' with the 'webbed D' crest.
I am content with it. I wanted to use more yellow - to match the crest - but I thought perhaps it looked too 'cartoony.'

Boston:
WMgBI.png

I don't have much to say about this; it is pretty straight-forward. This is my favourite Bruins look, possibly due to Happy Gilmore.

Thoughts, criticisms?

I will continue next with Buffalo and Calgary.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think for the Ducks a little more gold in the uniform would tie it to the logo better.

Good point. That's why I always liked the alternate sweaters from that era better than the primaries, since they actually worked some gold into the striping (and the striping pattern and overall color balance were better too).

0111-97-mighty-ducks-of-anaheim-3rd.jpg

5eb1c6ec2851895b9350486314d30824c86ce4a8.jpg?x=530&y=744&sig=d7c067c936408d4bc4883191264239af

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I made two edits.

Anaheim w/ the Mighty Ducks logo:

hFM1j.png

And I wanted to add an alternate for Boston:

81dm7.png

And continuing on with the rest of the sereis....

Buffalo:

0OHCr.png

I am a fan of the navy blue, but I decided to go with the royal blue to "lighten things up". Same logos, slightly revised stripes. I added a navy third with an off-white trim.

It's nothing spectacular, I guess. lol

Calgary:

U2FBn.png

I wanted to swap their current get up; move the classic red and yellow for the home and road, and the save the black for the third jersey.

Again, nothing earth-shattering here. lol. Still. Any and all feedback would be welcomed!

Jesus, that white yoke on the Sabres home is...is fantastic! Great work!

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Anaheim w/ the Mighty Ducks logo:

hFM1j.png

Not sure I like this edit. The logo itself wasn't the problem for me. I think the Duck-foot D is a good choice for the logo. My problem was the colors (gold) didn't appear anywhere else on the jersey, so it looked like that logo was on the wrong jersey. I think taking your original concept and adding a little gold to the striping and then maybe match the jersey numbers with the same color combo as the logo (gold with purple/grey stroke) would have been perfect.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Not sure I like this edit. The logo itself wasn't the problem for me. I think the Duck-foot D is a good choice for the logo. My problem was the colors (gold) didn't appear anywhere else on the jersey, so it looked like that logo was on the wrong jersey. I think taking your original concept and adding a little gold to the striping and then maybe match the jersey numbers with the same color combo as the logo (gold with purple/grey stroke) would have been perfect.

Ahhh... I misunderstood.

Something more like this, then:

duckss.png

Anyhoo, continuing on with Carolina:

6r7yC.png

Matched the warning flag striping to the sleeves, removed the phantom yoke and altered the third jersey some. Originally the trim on the white jersey was predominately red instead of black. I wondered if it looked 'too' red, though, so I swapped it.

Chicago:

TfBkT.png

Also matched the sleeves to the body and altered the away, just to be different. Kept the black third because I love it.

Colorado:

AIW09.png

Brought back the mountain motif, removed any trace of black; it's just burgundy and blue, which I think contrast better.

Columbus:

KxFgf.png

Returned the retro sleeves, and left the body clean. Added a very Jets-esque third too.

Why did you move the sleeve stripes on Chicago down the sleeves?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Ducks - You are moving in the right direction with the addition to yellow threw out the jersey, but I think you should try a different shade of yellow/gold. Maybe something like the Saints use or even the Pens, I just think the bright yellow clashes hard with the more muted eggplant and teal. I also think that no matter what shade of yellow/gold you use that the logo on the away should be eggplant with a yellow then teal outline, I would also change the stripping on the away to match exactly what the home is. So the sleeves would go, teal sleeve/gold/eggplant. I just think keeping the yellow away from white is good.

Bruins - Solid, nothing ground breaking, really like the third you added.

Sabres - I LOVE THE YOLK!!! The only change I would make to the home is change the large center yellow stripe with a white one (similar to the third). Nothing to change on the away. I would also change the third some, I think it might look kinda cool with no white at all on the third, just navy and yellow.

Flames - I think that I want a yellow yolk on the home and away, other than that perfect.

Canes - Look real good, again nothing setting the world on fire, but I think you should go with your original idea about the red trimming on the aways, I think with the black pants you can get away with it.

Blackhawks - Liked the old strips on the away better, other than that solid.

Avs - Thank you for getting rid of the black!!!! These look fantastic!!

Bluejackets - Good looks on the home and away, STUNNING look on the third!!!

Good job on all of these man, nothing to crazy, and very realistic, keep it up!! Cant wait to see my wings!!!

I don't like the added yellow to the Ducks set. Feels like there's way too much going on with the colour scheme as a whole. I will comment that I like your first edit with the duck mask logo best, but I've already said enough of my preference for this logo many times on these boards so I'll just leave it at that.

Anyway, I don't think yellow works well as a striping colour for that uniform design, and in turn it doesn't look that great as the logo's primary colour, and that's exactly why it's difficult to make the D-foot work in the old colour scheme. Maybe you could try experimenting with a different colour scheme for the Ducks instead? I mean, the merging of old and new has pretty much been done to death, maybe you could show us what your own take on a whole new direction for this team might look like.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived