Adidas sorta-camo; or: AAAAUUUGGGHHH! YOUR EYES!

PackerBadger

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, UCLA still looks better in those uniforms than they did that year where the "C" was a different color. I dispised that.

At least that made sense.

I never got why they did that, how come again?

IIRC, it was to mark UCLA winning its 100th college national championship, so the C was gold, since C is 100 in Roman numerals. I'm sure all of their teams did something similar.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

To be fair, UCLA still looks better in those uniforms than they did that year where the "C" was a different color. I dispised that.

At least that made sense.

I never got why they did that, how come again?

IIRC, it was to mark UCLA winning its 100th college national championship, so the C was gold, since C is 100 in Roman numerals. I'm sure all of their teams did something similar.

ahhh. Unique lol

Indiana's AD explains their decision not to participate.

http://www.indystar....?nclick_check=1

Most relevant quote:

“I take seriously our obligation to be a good partner with Adidas, and we weren’t cavalier about this. But when all is said and done, that’s just not something that I think is appropriate for us here at Indiana to do.”

adidas.0_standard_730.0.jpg

What is a UCLA thinking, tarnishing their legendary basketball uniforms in such a fashion?

Coach Wooden must be spinning in his grave.

You can thank Chianti Dan Guerrero, possibly the most incompetent AD in college athletics, for going to such great lengths in order to :censored: on UCLA's tradition.

Five years down the road, UCLA brass will look back and facepalm for allowing Adidas to wreck their uniforms.

I mean, I'd be okay with this if it actually looked good. But is looks like sh1t. The shorts look wrinkled, as if someone fetched them out of a dirty laundry basket.

6uXNWAo.png

Huh. I didn't know it was 1993...

Unfortunately, 1993 fashion is the jam of choice for hip, young people (i.e., the target audience).

Honestly zubaz could probably make a comeback, neon colors definitely have, snapbacks have, but they shouldn't be on a basketball court especially for the biggest most publicized games of the season, ESPECIALLY for some well respected basketball teams.

Zubaz has already made a comeback. It's a genius story, actually:

1. Start a weird novelty company and build it into a pop-culture sensation in the early 1990s.

2. Sell-off your shares at the first sign of decline, right before you think people are going to be over it, basically letting somebody else deal with the inevitable bankruptcy.

3. Buy the rights to the company back just before 1990s fashion becomes the retro fad du jour.

4. Re-start the company and re-release your product just in time for the boom.

While I do believe the depth of a design's crappiness lies in the eye of the screaming and mortified beholder, I still think that many of those '90's designs were arguably some of the crappiest designs ever seen to that point and relatively speaking were as horrid then as these monstrosities are now...but I could be wrong.

While looking back on those designs (as an adult with a self-proclaimed discerning eye, good taste and sense of style) I think they were atrocious, I remember being a kid and loving all those wacky uniforms of the 1990s. That's why we have things like these. It makes more sense to get the kids to like you because they're going to be around a lot longer than the old people, which brings me to...

Who on here thinks Adidas made these unis to intentionally appease to the Kardashian/Mac Miller/Two Chainz, iPhone hipster/yuppie, high school kids of today? Who thinks this is more of a fashion statement for pop culture than it is sports jerseys?

All I can say is, "Duh."

HA! Of COURSE it's a fashion statement... its sport fashion! I think it's really silly to put hipsters with Kardashians with Mac Miller with iPhone's. That's... a lot of things. If they wanted to appeal to people who... 1. Listen to extremely popular music... 2. have an iPhone... 3. are their biggest target group (High schoolers and urban young adults)... then I think their doing a fantastic job.

I may not like how they look, but come on, to pretend that any decision made by any athletic supplier or team isn't for business, culture, or simply what's "cool" is ridiculous. It gets people talking and that's all that matters to these companies. It's the way it is in everything we do, and it's not going anywhere.

I mean...

"Fashion statement for pop culture" That is a "sports jersey".

Well said and objectively analyzed. Part of critiquing design is knowing the purpose and the audience of the design. I don't exactly like how these look (at all, really), but I can understand the reasoning behind them making this sort of statement. What it comes down to is that the majority of people, in general, like weird stuff. If the citizens of the world, collectively, liked great things, then all the companies of the world would make great things and the unicorns would graze freely in the land of rainbows.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

So doubling down on the generation that will be eternally living from paycheck to paycheck. Brilliant. I'm sure a consultant made a couple of million dollars to advise that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Indiana's AD explains their decision not to participate.

http://www.indystar....?nclick_check=1

What the Hoosiers WOULD'VE looked like had they decided to piss on tradition:

8543989908_6f9f820ebe_z.jpg

(via UniWatch)

I hate IU, but I am glad they made the right decision on this mess. BTW, here is link the Cincinnati photos from the game today versus Georgetown.

spacer.png

Archived