Adidas sorta-camo; or: AAAAUUUGGGHHH! YOUR EYES!

PackerBadger

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louisville, Cincinnati, Baylor, and Kansas aren't that bad.

I have always believed that one is entitled to his/her own opinion, but you are really testing that belief. :)

This is pretty unanimous. Usually when a clown suit comes out, we'll get at least a quarter of us liking it. I hope that this nearly unanimous reaction is indicative of how the general fan base will react and that if any of these teams reaches a regional final, they'll go back to their standard uniforms so as not to celebrate a huge moment (i.e., making the final four) in these ugly Adidas billboards.

Oh they're bad, but really only ND and UCLA are :censored: awful.

Only Louisville might be kinda ok.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Makes me sad to see so many storied college basketball programs go out and play in their biggest event of the year in these clown suits.

And MATCHING ones, at that. It kills me that someone at UCLA thinks its a good idea to wear the same radical template as Kansas, or vice versa. Something so outlandish has nothing to do with your storied brand and everything to do with the manufacturer if they all look like they're wearing the same shorts recolored.

But boy, imagine the high schools that will be lining up for these next year.

So are their sleeveless variations or did some players just choose to roll up their sleeves?

I think each school got to chose if they wanted the unicorns with sleeves, without sleeves or not to wear them at all like Indiana and Wisconsin.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Who on here thinks Adidas made these unis to intentionally appease to the Kardashian/Mac Miller/Two Chainz, iPhone hipster/yuppie, high school kids of today? Who thinks this is more of a fashion statement for pop culture than it is sports jerseys?

Crappy sublimated graphics and patterns are to sports uniform designs in the "Twenty-Tens" as Teal and Purple were to them in the "90's".

FML

There was nothing this crappy about any of those Purple and Teal designs in the 90s; nor can I think of one that was as universally disliked as these are.

While I do believe the depth of a design's crappiness lies in the eye of the screaming and mortified beholder, I still think that many of those '90's designs were arguably some of the crappiest designs ever seen to that point and relatively speaking were as horrid then as these monstrosities are now...but I could be wrong.

Sorry to go off topic for a moment here, but you actually think the following (other than the fact that Charlie Hough is wearing it) is a 90s crappy use of teal? Really?

hough-1993-marlins.jpg

To each their own taste, but I think that is the best uniform the Marlins ever wore.

Now back to the eyesore that are these new college hoop uniforms...

Who on here thinks Adidas made these unis to intentionally appease to the Kardashian/Mac Miller/Two Chainz, iPhone hipster/yuppie, high school kids of today? Who thinks this is more of a fashion statement for pop culture than it is sports jerseys?

HA! Of COURSE it's a fashion statement... its sport fashion! I think it's really silly to put hipsters with Kardashians with Mac Miller with iPhone's. That's... a lot of things. If they wanted to appeal to people who... 1. Listen to extremely popular music... 2. have an iPhone... 3. are their biggest target group (High schoolers and urban young adults)... then I think their doing a fantastic job.

I may not like how they look, but come on, to pretend that any decision made by any athletic supplier or team isn't for business, culture, or simply what's "cool" is ridiculous. It gets people talking and that's all that matters to these companies. It's the way it is in everything we do, and it's not going anywhere.

I mean...

"Fashion statement for pop culture" That is a "sports jersey".

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Well, yeah, they're obsessed with making money so of course they'll make crap that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2. I still see the potential in a sleeved basketball jersey, just not with Adidas at the helm. I think Nike would do amazing things.

So do I. On the soccer field.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Are you just figuring out that sports jerseys are mostly marketed towards a youth crowd? Where have you been since the start of the century?

Btw, you should be banned from using the words "yuppie" and "hipster". All of your posts are starting to sound like the ramblings of an old fart yelling at those pesky whipper snappers to get off his lawn.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Btw, you should be banned from using the words "yuppie" and "hipster". All of your posts are starting to sound like the ramblings of an old fart yelling at those pesky whipper snappers to get off his lawn.

But what if that's how he really feels?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the teams flat out refused to wear these.

It's rare that the board unanimously agrees on something.

and the worst part is that UCLA is involved. They've had the same uniforms since forever and they're going to wear these (literal) monstrosities in postseason play. Ugh.

Don't hold your breath on refusal. Even Bill Self rolled over and said they had to bite the bullet and wear them, and he's pretty unyielding to nonsense.

I thought I read from Self indicating Kansas was only going to wear them for the Big 12 tournament and they were going to go back to their regular uniforms for the NCAA tournament. I hope that's right - although I think they did wear their all blue "bleed out" unis twice and not just once.

No, those looked good and at least tried to fit Kentucky's identity, and they didn't have ugly-ass sleeves.

Adidas' latest clownsuits are unprecedented in their sheer ugliness.

Yo, LightsOut. Clear out your PM box. :)

Crappy sublimated graphics and patterns are to sports uniform designs in the "Twenty-Tens" as Teal and Purple were to them in the "90's".

FML

There was nothing this crappy about any of those Purple and Teal designs in the 90s; nor can I think of one that was as universally disliked as these are.

While I do believe the depth of a design's crappiness lies in the eye of the screaming and mortified beholder, I still think that many of those '90's designs were arguably some of the crappiest designs ever seen to that point and relatively speaking were as horrid then as these monstrosities are now...but I could be wrong.

Sorry to go off topic for a moment here, but you actually think the following (other than the fact that Charlie Hough is wearing it) is a 90s crappy use of teal? Really?

hough-1993-marlins.jpg

To each their own taste, but I think that is the best uniform the Marlins ever wore.

Now back to the eyesore that are these new college hoop uniforms...

Amen my brother. Classic case of getting it right the first time, not to mention that the road uni and sleeveless alt were on par with the home teal.

HA! Of COURSE it's a fashion statement... its sport fashion! I think it's really silly to put hipsters with Kardashians with Mac Miller with iPhone's. That's... a lot of things. If they wanted to appeal to people who... 1. Listen to extremely popular music... 2. have an iPhone... 3. are their biggest target group (High schoolers and urban young adults)... then I think their doing a fantastic job.

I may not like how they look, but come on, to pretend that any decision made by any athletic supplier or team isn't for business, culture, or simply what's "cool" is ridiculous. It gets people talking and that's all that matters to these companies. It's the way it is in everything we do, and it's not going anywhere.

I mean...

"Fashion statement for pop culture" That is a "sports jersey".

Isn't that what we're doing? Adidas put out a radical idea, and all of us are chatting (mostly negative feedback). If this were just normal jersey updates, then there would be more civilized reactions and particularly less interest. But Adidas laid the hammer and brought us sleeves and zebra shorts. We had no problem when the GS Warriors put sleeves and had striped shorts because there's no real history of consistency for Warrior unis. But when it's historical schools like UCLA and Kansas doing this, we all cry and weep for the schools whoring down for Adidas money.

And for my claim that Adidas had pop culture in mind in this design, I can also say that it is a cause and effect situation. Look at the current fashion and pop culture trends: tight shorts, overhead and color shirts, knee high socks, glasses without lens (see Westbrook, LeBron, Wade during a postgame interview for proof). Without doubt, pop culture gave influence to these unis. On the other hand, these unis will give influence to pop culture, whether it's through fashion blogs or music videos. Very rarely did a uni or jersey design from the get go be a part of pop culture (had to be seen in a music video for a jersey to be publicized to the general public); I am making the case that these unis had an intent for our pop culture.

Archived