2013 NBA Offseason Happenings

HedleyLamarr

Eh, it's a non-story. No different than a player voicing his displeasure at something in an interview.

On a serious note, how long do you guys think it'll take for Dwight to either be a.) unhappy in Houston or b.) complain privately about how much a ballhog Harden is?

For A.) I give it 2 years and B.) I give it 3 months.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not understand leaving $30 million on the table to go to a team that has no chance of winning a title.

Dwight could be the new villain in basketball due to his own cowardice and lack of thought into his actions.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

I do not understand leaving $30 million on the table to go to a team that has no chance of winning a title.

Call me crazy, but winning a title could be a little (but not too far) down the list for Howard. He wanted to go somewhere where he can be happy as the focal point of the team's offense.

Wasn't working that way with the Lakers, so why not the Rockets?

Because it is not $30 M.

The Lakers offer of 5 years/$118M also comes with the caveat that California has a personal state income tax rate (as of today) of 13.5%. Over the life of the contract, that is $15.75M. Making an outside investment with a return of 13.5% annually is not that common.

Any contract from HOU or DAL would not have a state income taxt to it, plus he could get an extension a year earlier or leave for another contract and still be age 31.

Because it is not $30 M.

The Lakers offer of 5 years/$118M also comes with the caveat that California has a personal state income tax rate (as of today) of 13.5%. Over the life of the contract, that is $15.75M. Making an outside investment with a return of 13.5% annually is not that common.

Any contract from HOU or DAL would not have a state income taxt to it, plus he could get an extension a year earlier or leave for another contract and still be age 31.

Point taken, but wouldn't it be fairer to compare it to the taxes he would get in Texas? They probably won't be as big as California but it would probably paint a better picture of what Howard would make in Houston as opposed to in LA.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Texas has no state income tax. All he would pay is federal and the local taxes which are levied by municipalities he visits when on the road.

It is all about the contract's first three years since the money is equal. After year 3 in HOU, Howard can re-up for another five seasons.

If it didn't work with Kobe, Pau, and Steve Nash, and I don't see how it's going to work with James Harden and maybe Josh Smith. I'm happy Dwight Howard found some new video game buddies to play with, but I think I saw I all I need to have seen with him when Tim Duncan pointed and laughed at him during the playoffs.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If it didn't work with Kobe, Pau, and Steve Nash, and I don't see how it's going to work with James Harden and maybe Josh Smith. I'm happy Dwight Howard found some new video game buddies to play with, but I think I saw I all I need to have seen with him when Tim Duncan pointed and laughed at him during the playoffs.

Well Harden and Smith not being a collective 120 years old would be a start.

I think when it came down to it, he couldn't handle the pressure of being the face of the NBA's most prestigious franchise.

He's never played for the Celtics.

You can't have it both ways.

You can't condemn a Celtics fan by saying most of their titles were won during a garbage era of NBA basketball, and then tell a Lakers fan that the Celtics are the most prestigious franchise in the NBA when they play in a smaller market and have been to fewer Finals, and only two Finals appearances since 1987.

You have to make up your mind.

spacer.png

Josh Smith to Detroit Pistons for 4 years/$54 million. They must be really convinced he can play the 3 with Monroe and Drummond being potentially one of the best front courts in a year or two.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

I dont get why kobe unfollowing dwight is a big deal. He always tried to ignore him all year, even when he was open.

thats our generation. making a big deal out of someone unfollowing someone on Twitter

spacer.png

I dont get why kobe unfollowing dwight is a big deal. He always tried to ignore him all year, even when he was open.

thats our generation. making a big deal out of someone unfollowing someone on Twitter

Also see: Colin Kaepernick

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It is a non story but it does come off as petty on Kobe's part. Acting like a jilted girlfriend in a way.

*warning: long rant ahead*

I'm not a Dwight apologist but the disrespect of this man is just crazy to me. I don't think you can call a guy, that came back early from back surgery and played through a torn labrum, soft. He was still one of the best defensive players in the league. Is he indecisive? Sure. I think we as fans have to sit back and understand the weight of a decision that will affect HIS career, HIS life. If it were me I'd take my time too. Might even have second thoughts.

It's also been reported D12 left not because of Kobe, but the decisions made by the front office(we want Phil!). Dwight wanted Phil, he wanted to win, he wanted the coach that would value his presence down low. He got D'antoni and he never forgot that. Thus, he lands in Houston with one of the best big men as his coach. A coach that was desperate for a big like Dwight. Win for everybody.

I'd also ask that Laker fans understand the organizations position in the league as much as the team does. Most of the fans were so peeved about the "stay" campaign. "We are above that, we are the 16x champs, etc." I'd agree, say if the team were coming off a championship year, but real is the Lakers are barely a .500 team as of now. They aren't the prettiest girl in the room anymore and they can't have any player they want just because "16 rings." They have to court their mates now. The team knows it, fans need to embrace it too.

Archived