2014 Sochi Olympic hockey sweaters

Frankie

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then I guess it gets filed in the unpopular opinion folder because I really like all of them.

I actually really like them all for the most part too, but I don't live in a hockey region and didn't grow up watching hockey aside from

Mighty ducks movies.

Well that might explain it. Some of these uniforms would've fit right in at the Jr Goodwill Games.

trinidad-d2.jpg

99usa1.jpg

The fact that Trinidad and Tobago challenged team USA in that movie is downright hilarious.
Also, the "villain" unbeatable team was Iceland.
I think that was more of a marketing thing. I think they didn't want a major movie market as the villain. If it had been a normal hockey power like Canada or Russia, it probably would have been a issue. Canada would be considered a major movie market and it's a movie about hockey, so Disney knew Canadians were going to watch it. But if you make Canadians the villians and the team that loses in the end, you could potentially lose that market because nobody likes seeing themselves as the villian, Canadians especially when it comes to hockey. Same with Russia, but Disney could have also tried to stay away from the Cold War/Miracle on Ice motif.

No offense to Iceland, but it's just Iceland. That's probably why Disney chose them as the villian.

IbjBaeE.png

Austria looks pretty good, but if I were Austrian, I'd rather the name of my country were not in inviso-text.

Edit: "The 'Austria' wordmark was inspired by the way you can't see things very clearly during a blustery Alpine snowstorm." I'm calling it.

Not great, not bad. Pretty meh.

Nothing about Slovenia yet? Their reveal was my most anticipated personally because I'm curious to see if they'll be allowed to keep their traditional red/white/blue or be forced to match the rest of their athletes. Maybe that's what's taking so long.

TSN posted a picture of Eugenie Bouchard wearing her own Team Canada jersey. Looks like they are keeping the same font and numbers as the previous jerseys. Doesn't look too bad with the name and number (or perhaps it's just the girl :P).

I think that was more of a marketing thing. I think they didn't want a major movie market as the villain. If it had been a normal hockey power like Canada or Russia, it probably would have been a issue. Canada would be considered a major movie market and it's a movie about hockey, so Disney knew Canadians were going to watch it. But if you make Canadians the villians and the team that loses in the end, you could potentially lose that market because nobody likes seeing themselves as the villian, Canadians especially when it comes to hockey. Same with Russia, but Disney could have also tried to stay away from the Cold War/Miracle on Ice motif.

No offense to Iceland, but it's just Iceland. That's probably why Disney chose them as the villian.

I just figured it was that a Nordic country with "Ice" in its name would be a natural hockey villain. Blond villains in movies, right? Turns out, though, that Icelanders aren't even all that into hockey. See, now that's where you should grow the game!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I just figured it was that a Nordic country with "Ice" in its name would be a natural hockey villain. Blond villains in movies, right? Turns out, though, that Icelanders aren't even all that into hockey. See, now that's where you should grow the game!

Shhhh Bettman might here you!

Shhhh Bettman might here you!

After a failed attempt in Brooklyn, it appears the Islanders are moving to Iceland. After a recent press conference, NHL commissioner and President of the United States Gary Bettman and Islanders owner Charles Wang have said that the New York Islanders will be moving to Reykjavík.

The team will be known as the Reykjavík Islanders and their logos and jerseys will be released at a later date. Rumors have come out saying that they will be chrome based.

IbjBaeE.png

Archived